Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Power Commander and O2 sensor  (Read 618 times)

Offline Sweman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 2019
Power Commander and O2 sensor
on: July 11, 2020, 08:43:45 PM
I have searched a lot online whether to leave the O2 sensor connected or not when you have a Power Commander V installed on the Kawasaki Z900.
But I have not really found a definitive answer.
So I sent an email to Dynojet. I wrote which motorcycle I had and that I would install a Power Commander V and asked about this with the O2 sensor.

This is what Dynojet answered me:

For the modern bikes with closed loop systems we have found in recent testing and analysis that most modern engines now have actually been designed to run at the leaner factory settings. In the closed loop area of the fuel curve we find they generally run better if the factory closed loop system is retained and not changed. That area is generally very low engine load conditions at the low rpm and throttle, so it does not require substantial fuel changes to run optimally like the high rpm, high throttle settings do. Due to this we recommend the factory closed loop O2 sensor components be left connected, and if using our Auto Tune it would only make adjustments outside that area where they are truly needed for the high engine load conditions at higher rpm and throttle settings. Leaving the factory sensors in place and installing the Auto tune for fuel adjustments outside the closed loop area actually gives you the best overall compromise between fuel economy and power and performance when actually needed. You get maximum economy in the low rpm throttle range, and max power and performance in the high rpm, throttle range.
If you have any additional questions please let us know.
Thank you,

What do you say about this answer?
How did you do with the O2 sensor when you installed Power Commander V?

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Chesapeake
Re: Power Commander and O2 sensor
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:53:36 AM
Are you running AT? Keep the O2 connected...

Offline Sweman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:15:02 AM
*Originally Posted by BGE541 [+]
Are you running AT? Keep the O2 connected...

I have not purchased and installed Power Commander yet and I will not use Auto Tune.
I plan to get a map at a Dynojet center.

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: spokane
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:03:14 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTECU-FT-FTDL13-bike-side-Harness-ECU-flashing-kit-for-Z900-Z900RS-ZX-6R/324173807628

Available & compatible with Dynojets Maps as well as others if you're interested, just send me a msg

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: KLP
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 05:25:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Z900-WA [+]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTECU-FT-FTDL13-bike-side-Harness-ECU-flashing-kit-for-Z900-Z900RS-ZX-6R/324173807628

Available & compatible with Dynojets Maps as well as others if you're interested, just send me a msg

From the description ive understand its only an access to existing maps? Not the ability to change all the parameters live?

Youtube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/mzslave

Instagram: @mz900lt

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:27:10 AM
It's the bike side harness version so all you have to do is connect a few wires on the the Ftecu harness to the ecu's wiring harness, I thinks it's a total of 4 connections including power & ground.

Once that's complete, the kit comes with a usb cable that connects your laptop to the bike side harness using a small obd style connector that you can keep under your seat or wherever you want to route it for easy access anytime you want to load a new map or make adjustments to the current map's values.

It's not an autotune setup that automatically makes minor AFR adjustments while you're riding, but it is the most customizable system available. It's exactly like the woolich system as far as the features, ability to adjust Fuel mapping, Ignition timing, disable 02 sensor and AIS,  adjust fan temps, engine braking throttle response etc. Pretty much anything the ecu controls can be adjusted through the ftecu tuning software, Ftecu saves a copy of your changes & then loads onto your ecu through the usb in few minutes. As soon as the process is complete. Your new settings take effect as soon as you start your bike, that's it. The only real difference between the 2 systems is that the Woolich system is a little over $600 for the same type of setup.

Personally, I think the best feature is the ability to use any Power Commander, Bazazz, or FTECU maps for the Z900. I know each company has at least 2 different custom maps that you can download and use for the Z900 according to your mods or preferences and they're all free. Once you find one you like, you can use it as is, or adjust it however you want

Hopefully that answers you're question correctly. If there's anything else you'd like to know about, Just msg me & I'll  get you the info.

Brian
Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:55:40 AM by Z900-WA

Offline Sweman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 01:21:34 AM

I will probably buy the Power Commander and hand in the bike to a dyno company for a custom map.

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:38:11 PM
Taking your bike into a shop to get your bike tuned and having a custom map made for it using a Dyno is pretty much always the best option, as long as it's an established shop w a good reputation, especially if you can find one locally (pref w experience tuning the same model).

The problem is, most of us, don't have that option locally. I live in a city w a population of 500K people & the closest shop I could find that does Dyno tuning was over 300 miles from me, 2WDW. Most shops use Woolich and ftecu for dyno tuning which is why I made the reference, but just be aware that custom Dyno tuning is usually around $500 and unless you buy a Woolwich or ftecu harness kit & license for your bike prior to getting it Dyno tuned, you'll have to have the same shop make any changes or adjustments for you in the future (for mods or prior to dealer service etc).

Some will charge for changes, some won't, but either way, that's one of the main reasons why u only wanna use an established & reputable shop to do the tuning so u don't risk losing the ability to make changes in the future.

Either way though, if that's what ur thinking to do, there's no real reason to also pay for a PCV. it's not necessary at all and if u do some research you'll find that PCV's aren't really reco'd by Z900 owners, they're just not comparable to other options avail nowadays.

In any case, I did a whole lot of research beforehand and if access to a local Dyno tuner isn't available, the best options are either going w a mail in ECU flash if u just want a solid set & forget solution, or if u prefer more adjustability & control over your bikes performance w the ability to make updates based on mods & changes, then both Woolich & ftecu are good, comparable options, though woolich is quite a bit more expensive for the same setup & options.

Like I said, I did a lot of research on the subject and am happy to help if u have any questions about pros & cons of different options available. These days, the only reason most people choose a PCV is either for a cheaper Auto Tune option or in certain cases to avoid voiding their factory warranty, however woolich & ftecu both provide the option of restoring oem ECU settings at any time w their kits so warranty issues aren't really a concern.

Bottom line, if ur not going to use auto tune, there are far superior options available these days. In any case, it pays to do your research before u invest in any system. I'd also reco posting some questions on the forum before u decide. It's prob the best source of useful info you'll find.

Brian

Offline Sweman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 07:32:59 PM
Taking your bike into a shop to get your bike tuned and having a custom map made for it using a Dyno is pretty much always the best option, as long as it's an established shop w a good reputation, especially if you can find one locally (pref w experience tuning the same model).

The problem is, most of us, don't have that option locally. I live in a city w a population of 500K people & the closest shop I could find that does Dyno tuning was over 300 miles from me, 2WDW. Most shops use Woolich and ftecu for dyno tuning which is why I made the reference, but just be aware that custom Dyno tuning is usually around $500 and unless you buy a Woolwich or ftecu harness kit & license for your bike prior to getting it Dyno tuned, you'll have to have the same shop make any changes or adjustments for you in the future (for mods or prior to dealer service etc).

Some will charge for changes, some won't, but either way, that's one of the main reasons why u only wanna use an established & reputable shop to do the tuning so u don't risk losing the ability to make changes in the future.

Either way though, if that's what ur thinking to do, there's no real reason to also pay for a PCV. it's not necessary at all and if u do some research you'll find that PCV's aren't really reco'd by Z900 owners, they're just not comparable to other options avail nowadays.

In any case, I did a whole lot of research beforehand and if access to a local Dyno tuner isn't available, the best options are either going w a mail in ECU flash if u just want a solid set & forget solution, or if u prefer more adjustability & control over your bikes performance w the ability to make updates based on mods & changes, then both Woolich & ftecu are good, comparable options, though woolich is quite a bit more expensive for the same setup & options.

Like I said, I did a lot of research on the subject and am happy to help if u have any questions about pros & cons of different options available. These days, the only reason most people choose a PCV is either for a cheaper Auto Tune option or in certain cases to avoid voiding their factory warranty, however woolich & ftecu both provide the option of restoring oem ECU settings at any time w their kits so warranty issues aren't really a concern.

Bottom line, if ur not going to use auto tune, there are far superior options available these days. In any case, it pays to do your research before u invest in any system. I'd also reco posting some questions on the forum before u decide. It's prob the best source of useful info you'll find.

Brian

I have some Dyno tuners that are not too far from where I live. So I'll check with these first.

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 01:01:36 AM
👍