Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I need a jack or a stand  (Read 630 times)

Online Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: East TN
I need a jack or a stand
on: July 18, 2020, 05:49:43 PM
What would you buy and why? A good stand and spools are about the same price as a jack. I owned a stand before but never a jack for a motorcycle.
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000

Online turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Dallas
Re: I need a jack or a stand
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 07:13:33 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know how a jack (hydraulic?) would work on the Z900. 

I was lucky and found a guy selling some Vortex rear stand and head lift stand for $60 or $80 when I was shopping for Yamaha R3 stands.  Luckily he had a Yamaha so the head lift pin was the same.  So they transitioned over to the Z900 pretty easily besides buying a new pin for the head lift.   

I say just get some quality stands.  My buddy has a rear stand he bought from Cycle Gear, and I don't like how the handle cams on a pin to hold it in place.  I've seen him use it and the handle slips of the pin as he's trying to get the stand under both spools.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 09:23:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Snowwolfe [+]
What would you buy and why? A good stand and spools are about the same price as a jack. I owned a stand before but never a jack for a motorcycle.
Buy a quality universal stand rather than bike specific. For the rear I bought a Woodcraft universal because it is height adjustable. That way you can set it to lift the rear tire a half inch off the floor. Easy peasy.
I wanted a a Pit Bull but they didn't carry what I wanted.

For the front, buy a quality stand that lifts under the head.
Now you're covered for life no matter what bike you own.

If you buy cheap crap stands you'll hate them every time you use them until you finally buy the good stuff, then you can add the price of the cheap stands to the more expensive stands. (Don't ask me how I know).  :034:
Cheap tools are more expensive than quality tools in the long run.
You can't go wrong with Pit Bull or WoodCraft.

Online Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
Thanks. I owned a Pit Bull stand before when I had a Triumph Tiger and like an idiot passed it along to the guy who bought the bike from me thinking I was done with motorcycling. That was 3 years ago. And now I have two bikes in the garage!
Lessons learned.
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 12:56:37 AM
Thanks. I owned a Pit Bull stand before when I had a Triumph Tiger and like an idiot passed it along to the guy who bought the bike from me thinking I was done with motorcycling. That was 3 years ago. And now I have two bikes in the garage!
Lessons learned.
That's a sad story and a happy story at the same time. 🍻

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:24:22 AM
It depends on what you are going to do to bike.I have both a front headstand a Constands with 27mm pin for the front. An  Oxford heavy duty rear paddock stand with spools for everyday use eg lubing chain etc  but just be advised you will not  be able to to do any rear suspension work with a paddock stand for this I have a NWS stand which I think is no longer in business which is similar to an Abba stand in that it uses the swinging arm pivot to support bike thus taking weight off swinging arm and with a strap I can  lift front of bike as well.Unfortunately quality stands are not cheap but an insecure bike is possible more expensive if if falls over than a short term cost saving saving on stands.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline Schweinmesser

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Las Vegas
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:27:10 AM
I went with a Pit Bull rear, a Pit Bull Hybrid front and a Baxley wheel chock. I know I went a little stand crazy. Great setup for any work that needs to be done on the bike. I've been noodling a table lift to get the bike up to a better working height.
For parking the bike in the garage, I roll it onto a Baxley front chock then I put the rear stand on.
-Ronnie
2017 Z900 ABS. Akrapovic full system, PC5, quickshifter (GP), MRA windscreen, Heise H7 LED headlights, Philips LED turn signal bulbs, TST relay, EVOTech radiator guard and NIX30 fork cartridges. Spiegler steel braded brake lines. Puig foot pegs. Sato Racing bar ends and lever guard. Sprint Air Filter. Custom radar mount. T-Rex Racing frame sliders.

Online Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:24:21 PM
Decided to go with the Pit Bull, same model I had before:
https://www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-stands/spooled-rear-motorcycle-stand-f0003-000

I remember reading somewhere about some spools not providing the proper clearance so the jack didnt hit the swingarm.
Which spools would be compatible with this stand? Pit Bull sells spools that should work but wanted to check here first.
Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:56:35 PM by Snowwolfe
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000

Online turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 01:01:25 AM
Decided to go with the Pit Bull, same model I had before:
https://www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-stands/spooled-rear-motorcycle-stand-f0003-000

I remember reading somewhere about some spools not providing the proper clearance so the jack didnt hit the swingarm.
Which spools would be compatible with this stand? Pit Bull sells spools that should work but wanted to check here first.

You want spools that have a boss/spacer on it.  You can see how close my rear stand is to my swing arm.

Online Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000