Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: z900 fuel economy data  (Read 2469 times)

Offline sb_kota

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019 z900abs
  • Town / City: Montreal
Re: z900 fuel economy data
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 04:12:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Did anyone actually choose to buy their Z900, in preference to different bike, because it was more economical?  :027:
It didn't even cross my mind. Not for one second.  :110:

I did not consider fuel economy when choosing my z900, I have certainly owned thirstier bikes. Actually, I thought it would much worse, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I just enjoy collecting and compiling the info, and thought it would be relevant to the interests of people on this board. 

I suppose it would be useful for people who consider taking their bikes touring as well. I plan to take a week off to ride later this fall, and fuel for 7 days of riding certainly needs to be budgeted for.     

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 01:50:18 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Did anyone actually choose to buy their Z900, in preference to different bike, because it was more economical?  :027:
It didn't even cross my mind. Not for one second.  :110:
Hell no! I didnt buy any vehicle based on fuel economy!!🍻

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Collegeville
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 03:09:38 AM
*Originally Posted by myredrx7 [+]
I usually get around 50mpg not taking it too easy with a couple of redline trips. The trick is not to cruise in 2nd gear at 60mph when you are not getting on it. Around town 45mph I am cruising in 6th. It is not the track after all.

Such a true statement, I haven't ridden my Z enough to give my experience however my WRX STi claims 17/21 for fuel economy yet so long as I drive it normally I frequently see 25+mpg average and that's around town, even with a rip or two from 1st-3rd gears, however if I am throttle or rev happy constantly that number sharply decreases and I am sure the Z will be pretty similar. It also helps that I live in a rural area with long stretches of road between pretty predictable traffic lights rather than a city, frequently stopping and starting is the biggest killer of fuel economy. 
Like many others, I didn't pick my car or bike based on economy but for the total overall driving experience they offer so I just enjoy any opportunity I get to drive them!

Offline myredrx7

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Cheyenne
Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 03:26:16 AM
*Originally Posted by BlueRibbonRM [+]
Such a true statement, I haven't ridden my Z enough to give my experience however my WRX STi claims 17/21 for fuel economy yet so long as I drive it normally I frequently see 25+mpg average and that's around town, even with a rip or two from 1st-3rd gears, however if I am throttle or rev happy constantly that number sharply decreases and I am sure the Z will be pretty similar. It also helps that I live in a rural area with long stretches of road between pretty predictable traffic lights rather than a city, frequently stopping and starting is the biggest killer of fuel economy. 
Like many others, I didn't pick my car or bike based on economy but for the total overall driving experience they offer so I just enjoy any opportunity I get to drive them!
Rural areas make a big difference indeed.  Most people did not choose this bike based on fuel economy  and as it stands it is about a wash among the competition , MT09, street triple. They all give about the same mileage.  However in my case it is a small consideration being rural enough I want to cover some big stretches in between gas stations and it could be the difference between a worry free ride or a blinking warning for the last 10-20 miles. 
Either way I thing it is a good topic for prospect buyers of the Z.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 02:20:24 PM
I bought it to ride, just keep feeding it and put the miles on  :028:
"The ride is the reason"

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 07:36:49 AM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
I bought it to ride, just keep feeding it and put the miles on  :028:

My wife would probably tell you that I have never bought anything with regard to running costs or indeed actual cost to the wallet.She has counted up the number of bikes I have owned she reckons its about 28.If I bought things just because it done a few miles to the gallon more then I would still on a Honda 250 Superdream
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 04:45:16 PM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
My wife would probably tell you that I have never bought anything with regard to running costs or indeed actual cost to the wallet.She has counted up the number of bikes I have owned she reckons its about 28.If I bought things just because it done a few miles to the gallon more then I would still on a Honda 250 Superdream

Yeah those type of logical stats just deter me more LOL
I'd have owned a Prius + welded on a big hitch and tried to tow the 6580# dry toy hauler instead of getting a full sized 4x4 truck ..... it does have a pretty economical 5.7L Hemi though when your foot's not into the floor so that's a plus  :001:
"The ride is the reason"

Offline Jasper

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Copenhagen
Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 06:44:35 AM
Achieved 54.6 mpg this week driving both below and beyond speedlimits. I can easily take it further with my current gearing (17/41) but for what reason?

I plan though moving to a (17/39) gearing but hesitant due to the dreaded C25 error code.