Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A deer ran into me on the bike I was going 55. Get deer whistles!!!  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Hyperone88

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Southeast
I agree about the whistlers, they were popular back in the 80-90s and were on nearly every vehicle in SC but they phased out because they didnt work. All the roads I frequent I see herds of deer and they continue grazing as I pass but if I honk the horn or just stop to observe they scatter. Its really a game of chance in my opinion...In a 5 mile stretch of road I live on its not unusual to see 2-3 dead deer on the road weekly because the population is so large. I had two bucks walked out in front of my bike last weekend less than 40 feet in front of me, they were crossing from wooded area to a field, 5 mph faster and Id likely hit one. Just be safe

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
I saw a State Trooper parked and I noticed he had deer whistles on his bike. So I asked him if he could tell if they worked? He told me the state puts them on all their bikes and he has seen deer stay by the side of the road OR just walk right out in front of him.
He said deer are just plain unpredictable and doubts the whistles work as advertised. They could attract them he also said.

I have a friend with a Harley that swears by them. He swears by his "gremlin bell" too.  :112:

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
A .270 + Hornaday SST ballistic tip is more effective  :028:
"The ride is the reason"

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
I have a friend with a Harley that swears by them. He swears by his "gremlin bell" too.  :112:

Funny zed :008: :008: One of Gold Wing friend has one too. It was actually stolen from his bike and he said the thief is doomed.  :005: You probably know you can't buy one it has to be given to you. Well I bought him one as he felt naked and afraid without it :110:

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]

Funny zed :008: :008: One of Gold Wing friend has one too. It was actually stolen from his bike and he said the thief is doomed.  :005: You probably know you can't buy one it has to be given to you. Well I bought him one as he felt naked and afraid without it :110:
Yes, I know the lore as told to me as fact by my Harley friends.
You're a good friend for buying him one. 👍