Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dyno stats for full systems (Db killer in vs Db killer out)  (Read 867 times)

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Dyno stats for full systems (Db killer in vs Db killer out)
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 09:22:07 AM
Iím still on the stock headers with just the Akrapovic slip on. One of the first things I did when I got the slip on was to remove the baffle. No noticeable volume increase but the tone was deeper which I liked. Bike had itís first mot a few weeks back and I put the baffle back in for the test. Took the bike for a ride before the test and 2 things I noticed. First was that the tone didnít seem to change as much as I initially thought. Second was that the bike seemed to pull better and hit the limiter quicker. Donít know if the baffle in with the stock headers has an effect on back pressure that made this happen or if it was just me, but to me it felt improved :027: Baffle has stayed in since.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Aylesbury
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 09:37:50 AM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Iím still on the stock headers with just the Akrapovic slip on. One of the first things I did when I got the slip on was to remove the baffle. No noticeable volume increase but the tone was deeper which I liked. Bike had itís first mot a few weeks back and I put the baffle back in for the test. Took the bike for a ride before the test and 2 things I noticed. First was that the tone didnít seem to change as much as I initially thought. Second was that the bike seemed to pull better and hit the limiter quicker. Donít know if the baffle in with the stock headers has an effect on back pressure that made this happen or if it was just me, but to me it felt improved :027: Baffle has stayed in since.

The bike definitely runs better with stock system intact if you are not getting a tune.

The biggest advantage I noticed right away from going to the Akra header was the weight loss and how it affects handling. That alone was worth the money spent on the header and that is what would make me reluctant to ever go back to full stock.

That being said I am quite upbeat that the tune will up the performance to better than stock and will sort out that god awful engine brake.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 09:44:48 AM
Not just me then. Engine braking is one thing, but with the fuel cut on the Z itís brutal and I find it makes the throttle like an on/off switch for lower speed stuff like towns. Smooth once you get going, but slow stuff it isnít great. Got new handlebars turning up at the start of next week, but beyond that the next couple of things Iíll be doing are headers, tune and fork cartridges, just donít know which order to do them in. Leaning towards the exhaust atm.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline BartZ

• Z900 Pro
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 10:45:19 AM
Alex34 did you run your bike on stock air filter or aftermarket? Where your thinking of doing your tune?

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 10:47:29 AM
Not just me then. Engine braking is one thing, but with the fuel cut on the Z itís brutal and I find it makes the throttle like an on/off switch for lower speed stuff like towns. Smooth once you get going, but slow stuff it isnít great. Got new handlebars turning up at the start of next week, but beyond that the next couple of things Iíll be doing are headers, tune and fork cartridges, just donít know which order to do them in. Leaning towards the exhaust atm.

I agree

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 10:54:30 AM
*Originally Posted by BartZ [+]
Alex34 did you run your bike on stock air filter or aftermarket? Where your thinking of doing your tune?

It's on stock filter at the moment but I have a Sprint filter which will be install for the tune.

Dave Wood Racing in Buckingham. If you are in riding distance it's well worth checking them out. Definitely one of the best in the country from what I've read and what I've been told. They've worked on my suspension already and I've been up to the shop several times. Family run outfit and really lovely people.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 11:33:30 AM
What are they charging for the mapping?

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 11:49:03 AM
£400

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 11:58:43 AM
*Originally Posted by Alex34 [+]
£400

Cool thanks. Waiting to hear back from CJS racing in Bristol as theyíre a bit closer to me. Be interesting to see what the price difference is.

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 12:06:34 PM
Cool thanks. Waiting to hear back from CJS racing in Bristol as theyíre a bit closer to me. Be interesting to see what the price difference is.

CJS would be my second choice they are a bit far away for me though. Dave Wood is less than 20 minutes from me. If I can remember correctly, the pricing is similar.