Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear wheel alignment  (Read 865 times)

Offline Z900rider

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Rear wheel alignment
on: August 06, 2020, 05:40:43 PM
Hi, I just adjusted the chain on my 2020 Z900. I was able to get some accurate measurements and determined the rear wheel is out of alignment by 1/32nd of an inch or .03125 inches. Is that even going to matter in terms of tire, chain, and sprocket wear? Thank you.

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Chesapeake
Re: Rear wheel alignment
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 06:19:18 PM
If you know its out why not just align it and be done... Id say the closest you can accurately measure and adjust is plenty safe.

Offline Z900rider

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:04:27 PM
It's out of alignment by such a small amount. 1/32nd of an inch or 0.03125 inches. Probably will go too far if I try and readjust it.

I also measured the notches on the wheel alignment indicator blocks. The notch on the chain side is 1/32nd wide. The notch on the exhaust side is 1/16th wide. So of course it looks worse than it is.

Any other thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Z900rider [+]
It's out of alignment by such a small amount. 1/32nd of an inch or 0.03125 inches. Probably will go too far if I try and readjust it.

I also measured the notches on the wheel alignment indicator blocks. The notch on the chain side is 1/32nd wide. The notch on the exhaust side is 1/16th wide. So of course it looks worse than it is.

Any other thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

What datums did you measure from to establish the 1/32" error?
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:18:44 PM
When are you Americans going to start using metric measurements like the rest of the world?
Heck, even we who invented imperial measures have seen the light and converted to metric more than 50 years ago 😂🤣😂
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 09:28:45 PM
*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]
When are you Americans going to start using metric measurements like the rest of the world?
Heck, even we who invented imperial measures have seen the light and converted to metric more than 50 years ago 😂🤣😂
While I agree fractions is dumb (1/4, 1/5. ect), I'm a big fan our decimal system as very commonly used in machining and tooling (3.875"). Truth be told, using mm for doing valve adjustment doesn't work as well as out decimal system as it gets very detailed and fine. When I see a fraction, in my head I've converted it to decimals...its easy and been doing it since I first learned how to operate micrometers at a very early age.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 10:03:47 PM
 Lets be honest the UK hasn't fully converted to the decimal system at all.
 In the case of precision measurement, yes that is true, but for everything else?
 It's a complete f*ck up!
 Anyway now the Brexiteers have got their way the imperial system will be coming back along with pounds, shillings and pence, no doubt.
 "Can't be using the same system as those frightfully awful Europeans ,what!"  :034:

Cazzy_R

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:09:37 AM
Even though I use decimal for everything (its technically perfect), I use grams for weights with anything less than 4540 grams (10 pounds), after that I'm back to pounds since you rarely need fine granularity. I fully converted to grams when I got heavy into mountain bike and became a weight weenie with all the carbon and titanium components...now it makes most sense to me - 454g = 1LB and for me, 454 is a VERY relatable number being a gear head. It's pretty common here and when I send an engine rotating mass to the machine shop, the balance card comes back in grams  :047:

Okay, I'm done with this side track...

Offline Z900rider

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 09:04:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
What datums did you measure from to establish the 1/32" error?

Hi, I measured from the end of the wheel alignment indicator block to the inside of the swingarm on both sides. Between the two red lines in the picture.

Also measured from the end of the wheel alignment indicator block to the tip of the spear on both sides of swingarm.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 09:47:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Z900rider [+]
Hi, I measured from the end of the wheel alignment indicator block to the inside of the swingarm on both sides. Between the two red lines in the picture.

Also measured from the end of the wheel alignment indicator block to the tip of the spear on both sides of swingarm.

Interesting. Well unless you measure every component that affects rear wheel position and compare them to manufacturing drawings that you don't have rather than just picking two features and assuming that they were manufactured to exact mean tolerance is a little bit pointless.
 As I see it there are 3 things to achieve:
 1. Correct chain tension.
 2, Correct chain alignment.
 3. A bike that rides straight,

When I got my bike the alignment marks were slightly "off" one side to the other, but the bike rode straight.
 I evened them out and the bike still rode straight but I had increased chain noise (buzz).
 When I spun the back wheel I could see the chain was hard against one side of the rear sprocket. If i pushed the chain over to the other side it would immediately drift back hard up against the other side.
 So what I did is find a position for the adjusters where the chain runs centrally on the sprocket when I spin the back wheel. Check that by being able to push the chain over in either direction after a spin. Alignment a marks were slightly off side to side.
 However I have achieved all three goals.
 The adjuster marks are "off". Never mind. Chain alignment is good,
 Wheel alignment? No idea. Bike rides straight. So does that matter? Not to me.
 Theoretical error between two randomly selected components?  :431:

Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:51:20 PM by Cazzy_R
Cazzy_R