Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A2 vs normal Z900  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Aylesbury
A2 vs normal Z900
on: August 13, 2020, 11:18:20 AM
A friend of mine is looking for a second hand Z900 and he asked me a question I have no answer for.

How can you tell the A2 version of the Z900 and the normal Z900 apart?

I don't think i've ever seen the A2 version but heard the headers are smaller diameter pipes. Is there any other way of telling them apart, vin number, engine number, etc?

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: A2 vs normal Z900
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:34:35 AM
And is the "Z900e" the same as the A2?

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 12:08:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Alex34 [+]
A friend of mine is looking for a second hand Z900 and he asked me a question I have no answer for.

How can you tell the A2 version of the Z900 and the normal Z900 apart?

I don't think i've ever seen the A2 version but heard the headers are smaller diameter pipes. Is there any other way of telling them apart, vin number, engine number, etc?

Silver camcover.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 12:22:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Silver camcover.

Is that with all years? I noticed by google search the 2017 and 2018 have silver cam covers but every thing that comes up for 2019 seems to have black.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
Is that with all years? I noticed by google search the 2017 and 2018 have silver cam covers but every thing that comes up for 2019 seems to have black.

Pass.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 12:27:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Pass.

Haha... fair enough. Do you know anyone who has an A2 Cazzy? Wondering if the model number would be different like the BKF suffix?

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 01:03:44 PM
Kawasaki UK says model codes for A2 models begin with D and normal version begins with B.

Never seen a D model code online or anywhere else... have seen references  to A model codes though.

Though they said the easiest way to tell is by the header pipes. 

Will tell my mate to just phone kawasaki with the vin if he finds one to make sure.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:24:52 PM
Yes the Z900e is the A2 compliant model the models all start with the D code  whereas full power bikes have A or B codes.Does your friend have to have  an A2 model bike? as it is limited to 70kw  or 94bhp whichever measure you wish to use.You are correct about the headers being smaller because of  reduced power output the head will be different there maybe other restraints internally as well I don't know but an  A2 model ecu cannot be adjusted to get the same hp as the normal full power model.The ecu can be flashed by a dealer to reduce horsepower to 47hp for restricted young riders for their next step after passing test on 125cc bikes.Unless your friend has to have an A2 bike I would leave an A2 model alone as they may well be disappointed with the lower hp.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:32:42 PM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
Yes the Z900e is the A2 compliant model the models all start with the D code  whereas full power bikes have A or B codes.Does your friend have to have  an A2 model bike? as it is limited to 70kw  or 94bhp whichever measure you wish to use.You are correct about the headers being smaller because of  reduced power output the head will be different there maybe other restraints internally as well I don't know but an  A2 model ecu cannot be adjusted to get the same hp as the normal full power model.The ecu can be flashed by a dealer to reduce horsepower to 47hp for restricted young riders for their next step after passing test on 125cc bikes.Unless your friend has to have an A2 bike I would leave an A2 model alone as they may well be disappointed with the lower hp.

He's more worried about buying the wrong bike! He want's the normal Z9 but doesn't know how to tell them apart when looking for one to purchase. He's coming from a cbr500. Guess he is worried of someone trying to pass off an unrestricted A2 for the real deal Z9?

To be honest I think he would be lucky to find anyone that even owns an A2 model. I've certainly never seen one before.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 07:11:13 PM
He's more worried about buying the wrong bike!
To be honest I think he would be lucky to find anyone that even owns an A2 model. I've certainly never seen one before.

I would get him to view the log book when he's looking at bike and check model code.If its from a dealer they would know which model it is anyway.If he has reg number check on dvla site for tax etc it gives model details as well.As cazzy said the earlier ones had silver cam covers.I have seen lots of A2 bikes for sale from dealers and the odd one or two for sale privately.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.