Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Questions to help with buying decision  (Read 2310 times)

Offline gary

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Texas
Re: Questions to help with buying decision
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 03:55:05 AM
I have a 2020 900 and love it.  I looked at the 650, but figured it wouldn't work out in the long term and I would loose money upgrading later.  The electronics arent anything to be scared of.  I keep mine on sport mode and completely satisfied.  The seat breaks in around 2000 miles.  The front wheel doesnt come up easy and if you are into popping the clutch than yeah it will come up.  Go for it and dont worry about your age.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 07:29:06 AM
I have a 2019 model so can't comment on electronic aids on Z900 but my Z1000 ninja(ZX1000SX) I have just sold had them and they are nice to have but not essential maybe for a younger inexperienced rider they can be useful.They can be set to be very intrusive or not so depending on how you ride.I believe the 2020 comes with the optional ergo seat anyway whether it is the same in US I don't know.I am only 5'8" have fitted ergo seat as about 1 hour  seat is as much as I can take without a rest on original seat.Now much improved.I also have had a hip replacement  a few years ago and in same age bracket.I would suggest a test ride of both if you want to compare.I think the power delivery of the 650 would be disappointing in comparison to a 900.Your BMW is closer to the 900 than the 650 and could you live with a lesser powered bike?.Having had many sports bikes over the years apart from track days I am pretty sure it is not possible on the road to use all the power anyway.I don't think you'll need bar risers the handle bar height position is about right.There are a few choices for footrests.
Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:31:44 AM by bobw
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 04:35:38 PM
I own both the 650 and 900. Both are 2017 models, so I can add a little 650 insight.

I would happily live with the 650 if I didnt have the 900. For twisty roads, theyre both a blast.

I went on a group ride with some friends not too long ago and we all swapped bikes. There was a BMW K1600 B and Suzuki GSX1100G. The day I brought the 650 it was the one they all wanted to ride. One of them was laughing when he came back and took a 5 mile section 3 times before he would give it back! Its very nimble but not so much so that it feels flighty or unstable. If youre wanting something light and fun, I wouldnt count it out based on numbers. Its a real world bike that sounds better when youre on it than off (Thanks for the intake noise Kawasaki) and has plenty of oomph to be fun. The one thing I would change is the handlebars. They feel narrow and too close for my liking when compared to the 900. Thats personal preference though. The seat is a little softer, position a little more upright. Tires are still stock, so I think Ill like it even more when theyre changed out.

The 900 I brought to the party on another day. More of the same when swapping bikes. I just think Kawasaki did a good job of making slightly sporty but mostly neutral motorcycles that most are comfortable with from the get go. Really depends on what kind of experience youre looking for from your addition. Good luck!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 05:02:40 PM
I'm not much of race hooligan or twisty rider... I just like to ride. So, Ive not even come close to experiencing the maximum performance of my Z900. For me, the sweet spot is everywhere. Low-end torque between 3000 and 5000 rpm is smooth with plenty of power. You don't have to bang down the gears for it to pull hard (normal riding, not racing). Between 5000 and 7000 rpm, it eats up pavement at an alarming rate and screams like a banshee while doing it. Above 7000 rpm, it is nothing less than a rocket on two wheels.

Comfort of seat? I don't know because the previous owner purchased a Corbin and did not provide the original seat. Not sure why I don't see more Corbin seats on this forum. It is a firm seat with very little padding, but yet it is designed for comfort with no hot spots. I had one on my SV650, it was way better than the stock seat. So far, I have ridden 2 hours on my Z without having to get off the bike because of discomfort. Could probably go longer than that, as it is easy to move around on the Corbin.

Electronics? Being an experienced rider, you will probably just set it on Sport mode and be done with it... unless maybe you ride in the rain a lot. Honestly, I think you could get a 2018-2019 at a great price and be happy without the ride-by-wire electronics, although that new TFT dash looks pretty cool. My 2018 has a smooth and controllable throttle, no chance of lifting the front end... unless attempting to do so.

I would have to agree about the handlebar on the Z650. I didn't ride it, but had the same thought when sitting on it in the showroom.

Good luck in your search for a fun and sporty option, thats what I was looking for also.

I test rode a 2018 Honda CB650F, 2019 Aprilia Shiver 900, 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750, and 2018 Kawasaki Z900.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 11:41:59 PM
If you want to talk comfort and ergonomics, Im 6 6 and 250lbs. Comfort wise, the stock seat wasnt for me. Ive got the tall seat which is an improvement, but Im going to have the stock seat reworked with a gel pad. If I were to do it again, Id have done this in the first place. Also replaced the footpegs which gets rid of the chunky rubber on the stock pegs and lowers your feet about an inch. The seat and the footpegs together gave me more room and made it more comfortable for me. I should add, Ive got arthritis in all my joints from the hips down, so comfort is something I have to consider if I dont want to be hobbling around for hours when I get off the bike. Recently changed the handlebars as I wasnt happy with the shape of the stock bars, though a lot of people are. Initially I thought about risers, but instead the new bars are actually about 10mm lower and feel great, but if youre set on risers, you can either get some generic risers and make your own bracket for the dash or Rizoma do a set that have a bracket for the screen. Downside is that they take fat bars, so youd have to change the handlebars too.

With regards to the 650 or 900 question, one of the guys I work with upgraded from the 650 to the 900 a few months ago and loves it. Hes in his mid 50s and said the difference is night and day, especially how smooth the 900 is in comparison. Also said that the 650 was a little dull. Had a reasonable amount of power, but a bit lacking if you want to have a bit of fun.

Cant comment on electronics as mine is a 2017, but in my 3 years of ownership I cant say Ive ever needed any electronic aids. For reference, I ride year round in the UK, for fun on the weekends and commuting 5 days a week in all weather. Ive ridden mine in everything from 96F and sunny to 10F and icy and everything in between and with decent tyres on, never had any concerns. Yes you can lift the front wheel if you nail it off the lights, but shes just as happy plodding along at sensible speeds as she is when youre giving it a handful of throttle.

Hope that helps :028:
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Warmweather-Rider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900, 2019
  • Town / City: Alabama 47
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54:17 AM
I sure do enjoy my Z900,  the comfort and the power is nice!  Just think about a more comfortable seat if need be.  The stock on is hard to me.  Biking shorts, plus the tall ergo seat with an Airmax R seat cushion on low air makes the perfect combo for me on my 2019 Z900.  I enjoyed accessorizing the bike,  I got almost all the accessories Kawasaki offers for it!  Plus some other things like a radiator guard,  and crash bars, fender extenders,  tank pads top and sides,  phone mount,  a light kit,  white lights,  and I cannot remember what else,  but its perfect now!!!
Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:59:22 AM by Warmweather-Rider
Alabama 47

Offline KentZ900

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Southern Oregon
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 07:35:38 PM
Perhaps you've already bought your new bike. If you haven't, I'd say the Z900. My wife has the Ninja 650 and the twin engine is a bit too much vibration for my liking.  I've had all inline four engines (ZX-900, R1, R6) and I like my Z900 the best at my age (56). The rattle feeling of the twin engine bugs me. Happy Riding!

Offline Hyperone88

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Southeast
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 11:09:15 AM
I Heres my honest opinion and Im just shy of being 50. The Z900 isnt going to be as comfortable as your BMW  which you already know. Ive owned 14-15 bikes since I was a teen from ZX11s,  Buells... the most comfortable to me was my ZX-1200 I put a lot of miles on, rode it year round. This year I decided I wanted another bike so I got a 2020 GSX-S750, great bike but it lacked comfort, my hands felt like I run a chainsaw when I got off from a hour ride, in the twistys the Suzuki performed like it wanted to be pushed into the curves, the power feels close to the Z900 in the lower/mid revs, Suzuki has fallen behind imo but still good bikes. I now own a 2020 Z900 and as far as wheelies its not like the MT-09 which is a crazy bike thats either on or off, its fun for sure but not my cup of tea. The Z900 is very predictable as far as power even in first gear, an accidental throttle blip isnt going to put you looking into the sky, the power is linear as youve read and the bike pulls hard right up to the Redline, the transmission is smooth and the slipper clutch makes all day shifting a breeze.  I love the new TFT display, riding modes can be changed on the fly, the Rideology app is a feature Ive learned to enjoy. You can set your shift light from 3000-11000 RPM, it basically flashes orange at whatever RPM you set it at but its not a limiter, I dont use the feature but some might, service intervals can be entered as well, overall its very simple to operate and setup. Suspension is is about average vs other bikes, the tires I cant really comment on yet, I did lower my pressures some for a better ride as others did. Headlights are very bright, hazard flashers might come in handy as well, adjustable 5 position brake/clutch levers are a plus. Braking is ok but improving with time as the pads wear in more. Steering is really good, a u-turn is a breeze on a typical 2 lane road. Comfort is not bad, the older I get nothing  is really comfortable😂, my days of sport bike riding positions are over, Im more of a upright guy now with back issues. The TFT display is well positioned so the eyes stay on the road. I agree with the previous comment regarding some knee pain, it just takes some time on the saddle to get accustomed to the knee position, I may change my seat to the taller version later on. This bike isnt two up passenger friendly especially for long periods, just not much padding back there. No regrets on my Z900 purchase. I think youll enjoy the Z900 if thats what you decide on. My only complaint is the lack Kawasaki accessories due to Covid

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 11:12:44 PM
I am probably very late to the party but will throw in my thoughts for anyone looking now or down the road at a Z900 or comparing other motorcycles to it. I am 65 year young, 5:9 and about 180lbs with a 2017 Z900. I have the tall seat as for me that was a necessity. The stock seat at least back then sux. About the only thing on the bike that really needs upgrading if your doing any type of long distance rides IMHO.

I also have a 2016 FJR 1300 that I ride and switch between the two often to ride in the mountains, nothing else. As capable as the FJR is in the twisties and a bike I love, it is so hard to not want to ride the Z900. I ride very spiritedly and my front wheel has never come off the ground. As others have said its a bike that won't unless you want it to. I also never on either bike (the FJR has all the electronics) have used or felt a need for the extra rider assist stuff. As an experienced rider I find its how you manage the throttle that matters. I always ride approx 200 mile loop rides when I go out. I used bicycle shorts for the longest time but do not any longer as I found that I do not need them. The ergonomics of this bike fits me perfectly on those rides and I have had back, neck, and knee surgeries in the past. I find it every bit as comfortable as my FJR. In fact I get more middle back pain on that bike.

My good riding friend who rides a Wing and Triumph Trophy switched bikes with me recently.  He never wanted to in the past as he said just looking at the Z it was not for him. Too crunched, too uncomfortable. Well he did not want to get off of it! As I always told him you would not believe the smooth power and its only screaming fast if you want it to be. Smooth to putt around and smooth until your cheeks flap with a clutch that is so easy to pull our grandma could ride it. I have never ridden a motorcycle with an easier clutch or smoother shifting. I love my Z900 and will never sell it or even consider it. In fact I have my friend thinking about picking up a nice previously owned one as its a perfect compliment to any sport touring motorcycle, especially for what you can get one for. I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying this bike.

Offline Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: East TN
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 12:55:38 AM
I am 67, 510, and roughly 225. To be honest I am shocked how well the Z900 fits me. My rides are mostly short, 40-60 miles. Most every bike I bought would get handlebar risers and a new windscreen but for now I dont plan on changing either.
Gearing is another matter. Some rides I tell myself to change it to lower the highway rpms but other days I tell myself why bother because I never go above 90 mph.
Am pretty happy with the bike. If the need is there to ride long my Suzuki Vstrom 1000 comes out.
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000