Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 USB installation  (Read 516 times)

Offline noklas

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Helsinki
2018 USB installation
on: August 25, 2020, 07:43:49 PM
Here are a few pics of my 2018 Z900 USB installation. I bought a SW Motech dual USB charger, a waterproof fuse, and a water resistant on/off switch with a led. I can thus charge a battery while riding or even when the engine is off.

I placed the on/off switch under the right side of the back seat's fender using zip ties so that it doesn't take up any space from the boot. I strapped the USB charger onto an L-bracket using double sided tape and zip ties. In the end I was fairly happy about my Frankenstein installation :)

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Lohja
Re: 2018 USB installation
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 03:32:00 PM
I might install one to the trunk too  :084:. I now have a regular cig lighter plug in the front and a 2x2.4V usb charger in that, but it cannot be used to charge a phone with an OIS (my iPhone 8 that is) because vibration of the handlebar will very likely kill the OIS (so I'm using an iPhone 5s for navigation and paying the gas, it has no OIS). The only down side in charging a phone in the trunk is that in wet conditions there will be water. So if it starts raining better remember to take away the phone (or bag it to keep it dry).

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 07:29:35 PM
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
but it cannot be used to charge a phone with an OIS (my iPhone 8 that is) because vibration of the handlebar will very likely kill the OIS (so I'm using an iPhone 5s for navigation and paying the gas, it has no OIS).
Yeah, this is becoming a problem even on the new iPhone 11's. Apple is currently aware and looking into this issue. They need to design the lens unit to lock in place when camera is not active.

However, not all mounts and not all mounting locations are a problem. This is why I made my own mound and it doesn't attach to handlebars. Mine mounts to gas tank and there is ZERO vibration one its also in a rubber PTU case.

Here is the picture of it I posted last year. It's my old iPhone 6s-plus, now using 11.

Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 07:30:32 PM by Frontline

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Lohja
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 06:50:44 AM
That tank mount looks like a good idea.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 01:15:55 PM
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
That tank mount looks like a good idea.
What you don't see in picture is under the aluminum I put a thin layer of foam sheet to prevent scratches. The two mounting points are two of the screws used by Kawi to secure the plastic trim piece for the key hole. Takes seconds to put on/off so I don't have it installed when you don't need it.

The rest of the mount is part of a GoPro mount and special smartphone mount. Using a 1FT long USB to Lightening adapter to charger plug on handlebar. Basically, several items from different applications to make this...  :018:

Even still, the large majority of the time my phone is under rear seat. Only use this tank mount when I need a visual navigation. The reason why I don't use a USB charger under seat is because I use a small battery bank when I need the phone to charge or re-charge.