Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Here as Well  (Read 298 times)

Offline TriggerBlister

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Robinson
New Here as Well
on: September 15, 2020, 03:03:51 AM
  Hello, I currently live in Robinson IL. I've been aspiring to get myself a Z900 since 2017, the overall balance of the bike seems to fit how I want to commute by motorcycle. I'm 33 yo, and this will be my first road machine, I know it doesn't fit into the neat little category of beginner motorcycles. I'm not exactly a noob to two wheeled machines, I spent most of my adolescence riding, and rebuilding bikes/quads. Being above average build at 6' 245lbs I want a bike that will have the low end torque without having the tendency to pick the front wheel up every time I grab a bit of throttle. I really like the changes made for 2020, making the bike user friendly with TCS and rider modes. My game plan when I first roll of the lot is put the bike in low power mode to get my self acquainted with the weight and balance of the bike before putting the full 115 whp to the road. Any thoughts, and input welcomed.

Thank You,
New User TriggerBlister

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: New Here as Well
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 03:27:26 AM
First of all, I've never been one that feels you gotta start with a "starter motorcycle"....if you have managed anything with an engine and handlebar, the throttle is your variable starter to advanced tool. You got this. I think the Z900 is a good starter (or everything) bike and doesn't make you want more after first year like a 300, 400 or 600cc can do. As for rider modes or TC...its useless IMO (maybe useful on stock tires). The only assistance I like is ABS (for a street bike). I mean, lets be honest...these are not +170hp rockets and the throttle feel on the Z900 is very good. Learning to ride without assistance makes you a better rider.

Send it  :077:

Offline SanZ

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: LETCHWORTH GARDEN CI
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:13:12 PM
Yes this is a good bike for a relative noob, only been ridin 4 years and after initial play with settings I keep it in full power either road or sport for that zippier feel. It can also be made in to pre 2020 z900 by simply turning off TC and using F power in rider mode for full rawness. The throttle is fine nothing like the snatchy MT-09 after a few rides you'll get used to it. Ride safe my friend I think u'll enjoy when you pick one up 😃

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Collegeville
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:50:33 AM
Welcome! The Z900 is a great choice that can be easily kept tame or go full blast so long as you have control over your throttle hand. This was my first bike after about 5 years and it didn't take much time to adjust to its capabilities, granted my last bike was a ZX6R so horsepower wasnt unfamiliar but the instant low end torque was a new feeling for me. Just take it easy and get to know the bike and make sure when you twist that wrist hard for the first time that you are holding on!

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 01:54:49 AM
If you can ride a dirt bike, you can ride any street bike no problem. As long as you respect the speed, youll be fine with the Z.

Offline TriggerBlister

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Robinson
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 04:09:59 AM
 Thank you all for the positive re-enforcement. Honestly, I've grown mostly out of my hooligan tendencies. Now, ten years ago may have been a different story. In my early 20's wouldn't think twice. I would be trying to see how many gears I could get the front wheel to come up on. These days I just want enough power to get myself out of trouble, I don't want something that feels a step up from a moped after a few weeks. I've ridden sport bikes that belonged to a friend, and ridden Harley's when they were traded in on a Chevy truck back when I worked at the dealership. Sport bikes I had good control, but couldn't comfortably ride one for a hour. Harley's are okay, I just don't get that feel of control I had with a dirt bike or standard, like the Z's.
Thank you all again for your responses. I'm researching the heck out of this bike. Took my wife 15 years to give me the okay to get one, kind of got that feeling like when your a kid trying to pick what gaming console you want your mom to get you in the early 90's.

Offline SanZ

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: LETCHWORTH GARDEN CI
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 09:07:10 AM
The Z feels light and nimble as !#&@ after the short break in. On the console just for nostalgia it woud have to be the SNES with Street fighter 2 🤓

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Collegeville
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 11:41:20 PM
*Originally Posted by TriggerBlister [+]
kind of got that feeling like when your a kid trying to pick what gaming console you want your mom to get you in the early 90's.

This is what I felt like all year until I purchased my Z, I was looking into so many bikes both new and used knowing I could convince the wife when the time was right and thankfully the demo day came to town and the perfect time came from that so I managed to get the exact bike I wanted! And totally agree as good as SNES with street fighter 2!