Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hard to shift from second to third gear  (Read 404 times)

Offline Yahavmalka

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Nahariya
Hard to shift from second to third gear
on: September 20, 2020, 08:13:36 AM
Hey,
I have a 2017 z900 with 16k kilometers
And I am having a hard time shifting from second to third what do you guys think the problem may be?
Thanks.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Re: Hard to shift from second to third gear
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 11:39:10 AM
Did you start with the basics ? Check clutch free play, chain slack and how many miles on your oil ?
2017 Z900

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Re: Hard to shift from second to third gear
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:35:00 PM
Look at your shift pedal geometry.  The angle of the ear the shift shaft attaches to the shift lever, and the angle of the shift pawl that the other end of the shift shaft attaches to (that is bolted onto the splined shaft that actuates the internal shift drum) should be at the same angle.  If they are not, youll have more shift shaft travel (and thus more shift drum travel internally) in either the up-shift or down-shift direction.  This could equate to not enough rotation of the shift drum when youre up-shifting, in that the shift forks dont move enough to fully engage the gear dogs to engage the next gear.

If this is the case, youll have to adjust both the length of the shift shaft, and loosening the pinch bolt of the linkage on the splined shift shaft, removing/rotating/and reinstalling on the splines to get both the geometry (travel in each direction) even, as well as the height you want your shift pedal to be.

Sarge
Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:39:29 PM by Sarge