Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Went shooting today  (Read 529 times)

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Lohja
Went shooting today
on: September 20, 2020, 04:07:31 PM
A friend of mine has .22 and .308 (SIG Sauer 202) caliber rifles and we went shooting today. I have not shot with a rifle since the army 27 years ago and only once with handguns after that. My son and his friend (both 14y) got the first IRL shooting experience. I took a look at what guns there are and Tikka T3x CTR .308 Win looks very interesting  :084: In here we need a license/permit to buy a gun, so I probably need to go shooting to the range a few times that I can say it's my hobby, the police wants to know why you need a gun. With the .22 my son actually got 10/10 to the target while I got 9/10 (50 meters), I don't know what happened to that one because the other 9 were not that far from each other. The first two rounds with the .308 everyone got all bullets to the target (100 meters. After the two rounds it really was just shooting and we did not care to go check  :002:), Fortnite has taught the kids well it seems.
Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:08:11 PM by zeta

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Re: Went shooting today
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 03:04:29 PM
Love target practicing with my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield9 M2. + SD40VE  (NY concealed carry permit) or breaking out the long guns before hunting season comes, very relaxing just shooting for some reason.
The ammo supply has gotten ridiculously scare + expensive since covid so I'm not going out half as much, saving rounds.  9mm I use most went from $12.50 to almost $35 per box of 50 at some places, you have to be at the cheaper stores when they're stocking shelves or get nothing- and limit of 2 boxes.  :110: 
It was nothing to walk into a store couple years ago and grab 4-5 boxes for the weekend, shoot 'em up...
"The ride is the reason"

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:17:48 PM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
It was nothing to walk into a store couple years ago and grab 4-5 boxes for the weekend, shoot 'em up...
Prices are cRaZy now.

100 rounds of: (discounted)
5.56 $150
45-70 $370 (love me a lever action Winchester)
9mm $120

Nuts. Even the dirty Russian ammo is expensive. Plinking isn't what it use to be. :134:

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:41:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Plinking isn't what it use to be. :134:

For sure, Central NY is pretty much wiped out so I may have to start looking online.
I broke out my first born (S+W 422) .22 last night just for something cheaper to shoot, got a lot of .22LR and good running some lead thru it again.
Been a long time since plinking with that, it was definitely laughable  :169:
"The ride is the reason"

Offline iakona

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: New York
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:34:18 AM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]

For sure, Central NY is pretty much wiped out so I may have to start looking online.
I broke out my first born (S+W 422) .22 last night just for something cheaper to shoot, got a lot of .22LR and good running some lead thru it again.
Been a long time since plinking with that, it was definitely laughable  :169:
Good luck with online too. My old man shoots with his buddies about 3 times a week and always buys online but nowadays it is scarce for all calibers. When I can I still go by what an old friend taught me. Whenever I am in a store that sells ammo, walmart, dicks or whatever even if I'm not intending to get just ammo I always buy a couple boxes. It adds up and keeps a fresh stock somewhat if I can help not to shoot.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:19:10 PM
*Originally Posted by iakona [+]
Good luck with online too. My old man shoots with his buddies about 3 times a week and always buys online but nowadays it is scarce for all calibers. When I can I still go by what an old friend taught me. Whenever I am in a store that sells ammo, walmart, dicks or whatever even if I'm not intending to get just ammo I always buy a couple boxes. It adds up and keeps a fresh stock somewhat if I can help not to shoot.

I try to do that also-
Was in Bass Pro 2 weeks ago and they had 4 boxes of Herters 9mm 500pc sitting there for $110, they don't come up very often.... I was tempted but going to need better tires on my new truck before Winter, passed them up.  :012:
My Pops got us 3 boxes of .270 130 gr (normally shoot 150) for $18 box, it'll still work for deer- better than a slingshot + rock.
"The ride is the reason"