Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Not a good last week.  (Read 1306 times)

Online BartZ

• Z900 Pro
Re: Not a good last week.
Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 06:12:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Snowwolfe [+]
Some of the comments from fellow members is why I will miss riding. We understand each other and the pleasure riding gives us.
No trikes, no road hogs, my bikes will be sold. The risk at my age is simply to great. I cant change the past.
Might be a good time to mod my ZL1.
Safe riding to all of you.

To be honest I would swap my Z900 for 2020 Camaro ZL1 any time of the day, its a great car!
I am sure you will have loads of fun in it once you recover. At 67 and after 40 years riding bikes its not a bad time to "retire". All the best!  :028:
Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:13:40 PM by BartZ

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 10:28:24 PM
This has been a tough read...I know what youre going through.

Ill be 50 in December; I had a bad high-side crash in 2017 (gravel/mud mid corner) and elevated speed/big lean angle (my fault), and I totaled my beloved 2009 Street Triple.  That was my first big get-off since riding street bikes back to 1990, after years of fast street riding.  Im not trying to toot my own horn, but this was after many years off fast street riding, and always being the fast guy In the rider group.  Its never been about impressing others, but personally enjoying riding a performance bike at a higher level.

I was launched from the bike, landing head first, and cartwheeling into the woods and down an embankment.  When I came to rest, Adrenalin was coursing thru me, and I was hyper-ventilating.  I realized what the gravel and mud was from; a road crew had just been cutting down trees in that corner, as I came to rest on a tree stump.  I was fully geared...Bell RS-1 helmet, Cortech suit with Knox CE2 armor, Handroid gloves, etc....but blunt force trauma ruled the day...fractured sternum, compression fracture T5 (from my lower body snapping over after landing head first), 5 broken ribs, fractured fibula, several severe hematoma, etc.  My sternum was broken by my head snapping towards my chest on initial landing (chin bar hitting my sternum stopped further rotation).  I was initially worried as I had previously had a C6-C7 fusion surgery in my neck, but no problems there.

I missed almost 2 months of work.  I could not sleep in a bed for two weeks as I could not raise myself from lying down (had to sleep in a recliner).  Several weeks of physical therapy for back/shoulder strengthening, and left leg/knee recovery.

While I was sitting in the ER, still strapped to the backboard, I was pondering what Geico Insurance was going to give me for my bike.  I lucked out; they gave me more than what the bike was worth (think they mistook it for a SPEED triple) and they gave me $400 for my helmet.  It was enough to fully pay for a brand new 17 Z900 ABS out the door.  I rode it home before I could still walk well (had not returned to work).

I caught so much hell from others; How can you get back on another Death Machine?, OMG...you have family...kids...what is the matter with you?, Youre an idiot if you throw a leg over another motorcycle.

I love motorcycles...always have.  Funny thing...my wife of 30 yrs told everyone...hes already thinking of what hell replace his Triumph with...lol!  Funny side story, when I acquired my 84 Yamaha RZ-350 back in the mid 90s (my 4th bike in the stable), I didnt obtain her approval on the purchase, and she saw it...the fight began.  At some point, I said, Ive been riding motorcycles LOOONG before riding you!  I was in the doghouse for ages...lol!  To my credit, Im still married, and STILL own that motorcycle...lol!

Ultimately, how you move forward is up to you...were all different, in ways, but also, were cut from a different cloth.  The struggle with giving up motorcycling is just that...a struggle.  Give it time, and extra thought...you may regret your decision.  Either way, mucho respect for whichever you choose my friend...many prayers for your recovery.

V/R
Sarge

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 10:34:31 PM
I guess I should caveat on that prior post...

Im retired military, and my medical insurance covered everything...including EMT/ambulance.

The co-pays for all the physical therapy started to add up, but in the grand scheme of things?

I fully recovered...still the fast guy and enjoying the shite out of the Z (alright..alright...ZED)900.  I recently started working out again, and cut way back on alcohol and sugar consumption...Im in better shape now than most 30 yr olds.  My compression fracture has caused back issues, but not debilitating.

Ride On!!!

Sarge

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 10:51:43 PM
I never drink and ride EVER. But cutting down on alcohol consumption in the long term greatly improves your alertness for physical 'all day'  activities such as riding, especially the older you get. 🍻
Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:52:23 PM by zed9

Offline gary

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Texas
Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 11:29:58 PM
I think what happens as you get older is you start losing the eye hand coordination and riding a motorcycle that's going to be risky.

Offline Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: East TN
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 12:47:50 AM
Sarge,
Am retired USAF as well. Have Medicare and Tricare so dont expect to get stuck with any medical bills.
Plenty of interesting thoughts here. One thing for certain, I dont feel like a quitter or lesser of a man for my decision. I went back to the intersection today where the accident happened and I simply can not comprehend how anyone could not see me.
I been given fair warning and am comfortable with retiring.
God speed to all of you.
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000