Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sad night for my Z  (Read 2865 times)

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Collegeville
Re: Sad night for my Z
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 05:02:43 AM
The frame is fine but there are some scuffs and scratches on the rear wheel and the swingarm that may not clean up fully. Also the deformed outlet on the breadbox will never be straightened 100% to the way it was prior. Just a matter of having the dealer look at it in person and relay the information to the insurance company whether it's actually possible. In the end I feel it's only right I am compensated for all damages that weren't there before but I definitely wouldn't want the value to end up so high they try to total it, I feel I would lose in that situation too.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:12 PM
*Originally Posted by BlueRibbonRM [+]
The frame is fine but there are some scuffs and scratches on the rear wheel and the swingarm that may not clean up fully. Also the deformed outlet on the breadbox will never be straightened 100% to the way it was prior. Just a matter of having the dealer look at it in person and relay the information to the insurance company whether it's actually possible. In the end I feel it's only right I am compensated for all damages that weren't there before but I definitely wouldn't want the value to end up so high they try to total it, I feel I would lose in that situation too.
Make sure you tell the dealer this is covered by insurance.
I would think they would replace an important piece like a swing arm as you can't tell if the aluminum has been stressed. Same with the wheels.

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 11:55:29 PM
I was away for the weekend but when I went to the shop today and gave my verbal love to the bikes I poked around some more and found that under the cracked upper fairing there is indeed a scratch on the frame, doesn't appear like it took impact so much as the plastic scratched it as it broke. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to set things up as they are closed on Monday so didn't waste my time today. On a side note, last night while out with my wife as we were getting into my STi to leave a parking lot another stupid ****** decided to cut through parking spots and nearly hit my wife and the open passenger side door...I am normally pretty calm under all situations but I came really close to losing it on this one, especially since my wife was almost hit. I think I need to avoid parking lots for a while!!

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:50:33 AM
How did you make out ?
2017 Z900

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 02:40:55 AM
It's been at the dealership over a week waiting for them to write an estimate was supposed to be done on Wednesday but they never got to it. Considering my weekdays are super busy I wouldn't be able to pick it up until Saturday either way so it is what it is, just hope to get some more riding in before it gets to storage season.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 04:15:04 AM
It's been at the dealership over a week waiting for them to write an estimate was supposed to be done on Wednesday but they never got to it. Considering my weekdays are super busy I wouldn't be able to pick it up until Saturday either way so it is what it is, just hope to get some more riding in before it gets to storage season.
I'm not sure how insurance works in your state or any state for that matter but the reason I mentioned scratches on the frame was because my brother bought a crashed bike that had superficial scratches on the (aluminum)  frame.
The insurance company had totaled the bike because in order to properly paint a frame you have to totally take the bike apart to do it which makes the cost in labor worth more than what the bike was worth.
I know it sounds crazy but that is how, at least, this insurance worked. The frame was not cracked, just slightly scratched.
He bought it with a "rebuildable salvage" title. For cheap.
After he repaired it and had it re inspected by the state police, the bike was given the OK for a new title but the new title still said rebuilt salvage.

So that's why I asked about the frame.

Offline Slowsv

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Queensland
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 09:35:29 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
I'm not sure how insurance works in your state or any state for that matter but the reason I mentioned scratches on the frame was because my brother bought a crashed bike that had superficial scratches on the (aluminum)  frame.
The insurance company had totaled the bike because in order to properly paint a frame you have to totally take the bike apart to do it which makes the cost in labor worth more than what the bike was worth.
I know it sounds crazy but that is how, at least, this insurance worked. The frame was not cracked, just slightly scratched.
He bought it with a "rebuildable salvage" title. For cheap.
After he repaired it and had it re inspected by the state police, the bike was given the OK for a new title but the new title still said rebuilt salvage.

So that's why I asked about the frame.

Same thing here in Australia, any mark on the frame and the bike is automatically written off. It's more because of potentially invisible cracks and future frame failure.

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 01:44:40 AM
Being in the automotive repair business for many years I am aware of many of the ins and outs of insurance though my realm of the industry isn't collision. As I think I mentioned I did notice a tiny scratch on the frame beneath the broken plastic that is obviously only there from the plastic breaking and contacting it. I feel like if the bike ends up totalled it would be worse for me since I got $1000 off the purchase from Kawasaki cash plus put down 1000 so there's no way I would end up with the same payments on another new bike if they total it and basically would have spent 1400 between money down and 2 payments for less than 2 months and 600 miles. But that's all speculation so I am not going to worry about it and just wait to see what they say.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 02:16:36 AM
Being in the automotive repair business for many years I am aware of many of the ins and outs of insurance though my realm of the industry isn't collision. As I think I mentioned I did notice a tiny scratch on the frame beneath the broken plastic that is obviously only there from the plastic breaking and contacting it. I feel like if the bike ends up totalled it would be worse for me since I got $1000 off the purchase from Kawasaki cash plus put down 1000 so there's no way I would end up with the same payments on another new bike if they total it and basically would have spent 1400 between money down and 2 payments for less than 2 months and 600 miles. But that's all speculation so I am not going to worry about it and just wait to see what they say.
Yes, just wait and see. I think you'll be fine.
Tho there is another member here that bought his friend's crashed z650 from the insurance company for cheap then rebuilt it.. Heck of a deal he made.

Offline BlueRibbonRM

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 11:19:59 PM
This dealership is really starting to get on my nerves... so they sent an estimate today and it was mostly a mirror of what the insurance made up except they took out repair of the header and added in a new end can muffler which was not even on the bike so they obviously didn't even look at it much, I cant believe they want to charge $220 for this "thorough " inspection of the bike, if it was really so thorough they would have found the scratch on the frame. When my wife had her Vulcan S drop they claimed her fork and handlebar had to be replaced because of small scratches yet they claim now that their body shop can repair worse damages to an aluminum swingarm and powder coated wheel...they said they are going to "put it back on the lift and get under her" to recheck the exhaust, seriously I can see the damage 20 feet away with no lift! That's my rant, thanks for listening!