Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quad Lock USB Charger?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Hobbsie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Sydney
Quad Lock USB Charger?
on: November 10, 2020, 09:44:00 AM
Has anybody installed a Quad Lock USB charger? If so did you connect it to the accessory wires in the nose or run it back to the battery?

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Quad Lock USB Charger?
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:31 AM
*Originally Posted by Hobbsie [+]
Has anybody installed a Quad Lock USB charger? If so did you connect it to the accessory wires in the nose or run it back to the battery?

If youre willing to wait a little bit longer, theyre releasing a wireless charger by the end of the year.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Hobbsie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 09:59:13 AM
That would be good, but I'm just using an older iPhone (6) as a GPS so doesn't support wireless. I guess I'd still need to connect it to either the accessory in nose or battery. I was just curious if the SAE on the Quad Lock could connect to the bullet connectors in the nose and if anyone had done that.
Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:00:16 AM by Hobbsie

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 10:32:57 AM
Should be able to. Even if it doesnt come with the bullet connectors, they cost practically nothing and you could just crimp them onto the wires.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:19 PM
The only USB charger I see that QuadLock makes is those cigarette style large plugs...which require another adapter.

I use a hard wired USB charger zip-tied to handlebar. I wired it to the front accessory wires and all I did after that was change the 2A fuse to a 3A fuse (my charger is 3.1A). This part is optional but...

I didn't want to wire it directly to the battery because many of these USB charger will draw some amps when not in use. This way I never worry about it with the accessory wires since they are ignition switched.
Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:20:27 PM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 02:25:34 PM
I think i wired it to the battery using some sae quick release connector.

But I might change it to the way frontline did it because Im going to use the sae quick connect for my solar panel this winter.

I rode under the rain and the charger is still working. Pretty good combo to buy
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 11:13:18 PM
Thats the Quadlock connection Im talking about

OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline Hobbsie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 08:02:54 AM
Thanks Everyone. I'll get one and connect it up. I'll put update here once I have it connected.

Offline Hobbsie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 07:54:41 PM
I have now installed the Quad Lock USB charger.

I decided to try and connect it to the accesory wires in the nose. It was quite simple, removed the screen, located the accessoy wires, FYI the Female wire is the positive.
The Quad Lock comes with a USB to SAE cable and a SAE to Battery cable. I simply cut the battery connector ends off and replaced them with bullet connectors and connected it to the Accessory wires, then connected to the USB cable with the SAE.  And it worked!! :-)
Now I have it working I might go back and reconnect the USB directly using bullet connectors as is will tidy it up and remove a lot of excess cable and the SAE connectors from the under the nose. (Although It's not a real issue they are just cable tied up atm and there is plenty of room)

Even though Quad Lock say connecting straight to the battery won't draw any power when it's not being used, by connecting it this way there will only power to the USB when the ignition key is on which I think is better. Plus it wasn't going to be easy to route the cable back to the battery anyway.

Hope this helps anyone think of doing the same thing. I recommend the Quad lock, it's solid and holds the phone securely.

Offline sleepwalken

• Z900 Member
  • Next thing you know
  • Bike: 2020 z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Georgia
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 08:26:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
The only USB charger I see that QuadLock makes is those cigarette style large plugs...which require another adapter.

I use a hard wired USB charger zip-tied to handlebar. I wired it to the front accessory wires and all I did after that was change the 2A fuse to a 3A fuse (my charger is 3.1A). This part is optional but...

I didn't want to wire it directly to the battery because many of these USB charger will draw some amps when not in use. This way I never worry about it with the accessory wires since they are ignition switched.

Where is fuse for the nose connector at? I also got a 3.1A charger and wanna make sure I get full power draw from it