Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z900 motor designed with MIDRANGE in mind in league of its own  (Read 765 times)

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Retired, 77, knees are shot from surfing
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Royal Oaks
During my recent 1st service I was able to chat with the head mechanic at the dealership where I got my 2021 Z900 and found he really likes the motor. He felt Kawa made a  :047: great decision making the Z900 one of the best motors designed to work well in the MIDRANGE. He compared it to Suzuki's GSX S1000 motor and Suzuki's earlier B-King motor (based on a Hayabusa motor)...both are known for their excellent user friendly MIDRANGE.  PEACE  :305: RIDE SAFE

Offline shards

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: Estepona
Re: Z900 motor designed with MIDRANGE in mind in league of its own
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 07:22:35 AM
Yes, great motor for the "real" world.  I like it better than the Z1000 I had a few years ago.  For me, torque is more important than outright power.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:33:14 PM
Not exactly a news flash as all the media have been saying it since it came out in 2017. Then as soon as you ride one, it becomes obvious. Naked bikes in general are geared (trans and sprockets) and engines (cams) designed around more low/mid....some do it a little better than others but as much as I love the Z900, I wouldn't call it a "league of its own" in terms of midrange. But it's a great bike  :020:

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:18:24 PM
For someone who rode the bking, you cant compare both of them lol sorry
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Online superpig

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 01:22:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
I wouldn't call it a "league of its own" in terms of midrange. But it's a great bike  :020:

If your comparing it to others in it's class I would say it's not a bad description.

It doesn't get much better in terms of bang for your money.
I bought mine used with just over 1k miles on the clock for next to nothing.

Yeah some people complain about the suspension, but for me, it makes it more involving to ride and being able to know the limits of what is underneath you.
If it was a Ducati they would call it 'character'  :008:

I say all of that coming to the z900 from a 2016 zx10r which was completely unuseable on the road and more than twice the price.  :087:
ZXR400 / ZX6R / ZX10R / Z900

www.instagram.com/motomatt46

Devilishly fiery and combustable, strictly for masochists, the unhindged and those with reckless bravado.

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 12:56:19 AM
*Originally Posted by superpig [+]
If your comparing it to others in it's class I would say it's not a bad description.

It doesn't get much better in terms of bang for your money.
I bought mine used with just over 1k miles on the clock for next to nothing.

Yeah some people complain about the suspension, but for me, it makes it more involving to ride and being able to know the limits of what is underneath you.
If it was a Ducati they would call it 'character'  :008:
Another bike in that 'league of their own' would be Yamaha's FZ1...I actually owned a B-King (New) back in the day...Yosh made a great slip-on for it. It was the only change I made on it. I would still have it if I had not traded it in...my bad...
I say all of that coming to the z900 from a 2016 zx10r which was completely unuseable on the road and more than twice the price.  :087:
Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:08:05 AM by BorderlandBiker

Online KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 07:19:04 AM
*Originally Posted by shards [+]
Yes, great motor for the "real" world.  I like it better than the Z1000 I had a few years ago.  For me, torque is more important than outright power.

Talking of torque, have you tried the Triumph Rocket III? What a machine 😂😂
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 10:44:00 AM
I have not tried the Triumph Rocket. The last Triumph I rode was their 650...great bike. However, I've ridden the Suzuki M109 a bit...it's a monster in its own right...but at over 700# my ol' knees made me trade it.  PEACE RIDE SAFE

Online KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 12:48:50 PM
*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]
Talking of torque, have you tried the Triumph Rocket III? What a machine 😂😂

I've taken this from the Triumph UK website, compare this figure with the 98.6Nm of the Z900 😲

The all-new Triumph Rocket 3, featuring the worlds biggest production motorcycle engine at 2,500cc, delivering the highest torque of any production motorcycle you can buy with 221Nm @ 4,000rpm, has demonstrated an incredible acceleration by setting a staggering new Triumph production motorcycle record of 0-60 mph in 2.73 seconds.

I took a demonstration model out last year and it really does take some hanging on to, but is surprisingly nimble for such a large heavy bike.

It's not the sort of bike for me though.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 06:53:32 PM
I very nearly bought a B King. I was working across the street from a dealer and walked in during my lunch break. I asked the salesman where their 0 mile leftover was? (I had been researching and watching review videos).
He told me they sent it back to their warehouse but could have it in store for me the next day. I told him not to bother as that bike is a troublemaker.
He told me they really wanted to sell it. So I asked him to give me a price I couldn't refuse.
$8700 out the door. Zero mile, two year leftover.
I immediately called my brother for a second opinion. He talked me out of it reminding me of some recent bad activities I had with another fast bike.
Awesome bike but I'm glad I never bought it.