Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seafoam or nahh?  (Read 527 times)

Offline Zempher

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Westmorland
Seafoam or nahh?
on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:34 PM
Do you guys use seafoam or other fuel additives to "clean" the intake and exhaust valves?

I have used this for my older car and it made a decent difference in mpg but that was an ohv
engine ('95 ford taurus) went from 16mpg to 17 after fuel filter and then to 18 after a few cans.
But, would it be the same for a high performance engine like the z900s?
Been thinking of just throwing it in but I have my concerns being my first new bike and all
I've had my bike for 8 months now and it has just over 4000 miles.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Seafoam or nahh?
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:06:12 AM
Don't use it on a performance engine. Just give it an Italian tune up on every ride and don't worry about it. That and stick with a quality high octane gas (such as Shell).

BTW: How many miles on Z and why do you think it has carbon build up?
Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:09:13 AM by Frontline

Offline Zempher

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Westmorland
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:49:55 AM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Don't use it on a performance engine. Just give it an Italian tune up on every ride and don't worry about it. That and stick with a quality high octane gas (such as Shell).

BTW: How many miles on Z and why do you think it has carbon build up?
It has 4133 miles to date. I usually just put whatever is cheapest, usually costco gas.
Every engine has carbon build up right? Nah I was just thinking of preventative maintenance because I plan on keeping the bike for as long as it will run.
I was just curious if others ran with it as a maintenance item.

Offline gary

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Texas
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44:13 PM
Just run supreme unleaded...

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:38:22 PM
I've never used Seafoam, but every now and then I'll use STP fuel injector cleaner or Lucas fuel additive. Does it help? I don't know, but I figure it can't hurt.

Offline Drak3n

• Z900 Member
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 08:22:18 PM
Although the engine on this picture is from car(4y,75 000km, 1.4GDI), the main reasons it was full of carbon :
1. too long oil interval
2. city riding, cold starts, short distances
3. direct injection
Together, expensive repair. Imho, its totally avoidable just by properly reading car manual.
I dont think that Z, or bikes in general have much in common with this, so i wouldnt bother.
(oil quality, riding style, frequent oil change, different injection and so on..)

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:33:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Drak3n [+]
Although the engine on this picture is from car(4y,75 000km, 1.4GDI), the main reasons it was full of carbon :
1. too long oil interval
2. city riding, cold starts, short distances
3. direct injection
Don't want to start to go off topic but...

The engine in that picture suffers only from improper oil change intervals (#1).

City driving, cold start, short distance, direct injection (#2, #3) play zero role in what happened in that engine. Direct injection can cause carbon build up on back side of intake valves. Not sludge in the crankcase/head area.

(I've mentioned it couple times before) Ironically, even though the Z uses port injection, the outer intake valves in cyl 1 and cyl 4 do get some carbon buildup. I discovered this at around 10K....I know why its happening but confused why Kawi designed it in such a way (have an idea but not exactly sure).
Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:35:05 AM by Frontline

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 12:47:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Ironically, even though the Z uses port injection, the outer intake valves in cyl 1 and cyl 4 do get some carbon buildup. I discovered this at around 10K....I know why its happening but confused why Kawi designed it in such a way (have an idea but not exactly sure).

More details, please.
Thanks

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 06:37:47 PM
Zempher, one of the few, if any, miracle additives I've personally seen work is Seafoam. It was on a low mileage 25 year old Honda Elite 250cc scooter that was sitting idle for a couple of years. I'd been riding it but it ran rough and idled life crap, keeping in mind it's carbureted.
So rather than dig into the plastic work to even see where the carburetor was hidden I decided to add some Seafoam at a friend's suggestion.
I bought a can. I added six ounces to its three gallon tank and swished it around. I started it up and it started smoking and right before my very eyes the idle started to smooth out. Within a few minutes it ran as smooth as when new. No doubt the idle circuit was dirty.

Anyways, that was a 25 year old single cylinder carbureted engine, that had been sitting.
Your z900 in no way needs it. Just buy quality gas, StaBil it when sitting for long periods and change the oil regularly. That's it. 🍻