Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z900 suspension upgrade—worth it?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline kendo

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Z900 suspension upgrade—worth it?
on: January 18, 2021, 11:21:45 AM
Since I got my 2019 z900 back in March 2020 I’ve put on a lot of miles—mostly on twisty backroads. I put a lot of effort into tuning the stock suspension for my weight and ride style and the result was an adequate ride. Not great but not bad (for stock suspension on a value bike). Now the suspension feels like it needs some maintenance work and I’m thinking of upgrading both forks and shock.  Currently eyeing some combo of k-tech and/or ohlins. But part of me wonders whether I should put that money into (save up for) an all around better bike, like a Yamaha mt-10. Compared to my old FZ1 I feel like I can’t push as hard on the z900 in the twisties. The front is particularly bad in that it feels vague and hard to turn in (relative to FZ1). Rear shock feels relatively unsupported and unstable. With suspension controls split between the two forks and off center rear shock , I wonder how much of a difference upgrading the suspension will make given the design. Will it come close to my stock suspension on the 2012 Yamaha FZ1? If so, what suspension upgrades do you recommend? Or should save the money for something like an mt-10? Thanks I’m advance.

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Re: Z900 suspension upgrade—worth it?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 08:01:12 PM
I had the k-tech razor shock, fork springs, and valves done- all k-tech. I’m not the best rider as far as dragging knees etc but I really don’t notice much of a difference. Maybe at my weight 185lbs all geared up it really isn’t noticeable maybe heavier rider would make more of a difference?

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:59:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Led Zed 70 [+]
Maybe at my weight 185lbs all geared up it really isn’t noticeable maybe heavier rider would make more of a difference?

I'm glad I upgraded but I'm 250lb, in gear.
 K-Tech Razor R. Maxton up front.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:06:08 AM
Kendo, are you still on the oem tires?
As for the suspension, the answer is yes, worth it. I had my suspension, front and rear, resprung and revalved by Daughearty Motorsports in Indiana. $650, (which is about the cost of a mid-grade shock alone). He even preset my preload and rebound.
I also upgraded the tires.
My bike was completely changed as the suspension actually works now.

Offline kendo

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 07:19:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've upgraded my tires which did make a big difference.

Online zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:37:24 AM
*Originally Posted by kendo [+]
Thanks for the feedback. I've upgraded my tires which did make a big difference.
I upgraded my tires, suspension and brakes. I found out long ago that more hp doesn't make you go any faster except in a straight line.
The z9 has plenty of power for my needs.
Like the man (Kevin Cameron) said, "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider."