Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pluses and minuses of only decating the stock muffler with a slip on  (Read 836 times)

Offline Warmweather-Rider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900, 2019
  • Town / City: Alabama 47
Has anyone simply just decated the muffler and added a slip on?  Leaving the bread box alone?  If so weíre there any problems?  What were the advantages?  Thanks
Alabama 47

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
*Originally Posted by Warmweather-Rider [+]
Has anyone simply just decated the muffler and added a slip on?  Leaving the bread box alone?  If so we’re there any problems?  What were the advantages?  Thanks

Just when I was thinking, surely there can't be yet another exhaust thread.  :034:
Anyway WWR: According to DirtGearTV the exhaust mod you are enquiring about would seem to be the holy grail;

For some reason he replaces it with a full Chinaprovic system in a later video.  :164:
Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:22:22 PM by Cazzy_R
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Just when I was thinking, surely there can't be yet another exhaust thread.  :034:
Anyway WWR: According to DirtGearTV the exhaust mod you are enquiring about would seem to be the holy grail;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?   v=V07bsjLUaIE&t=3s&ab_channel=DirtGearTv

For some reason he replaces it with a full Chinaprovic system in a later video.  :164:

My thoughts either just slip on to add a little different tone, look, and weight savings or either whole new system from headers or gut all in between headers, link pipe, and slip on. Tune would be best either way!

Offline Warmweather-Rider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900, 2019
  • Town / City: Alabama 47
Ok thanks
Alabama 47

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Years ago I read a report where a catalytic converter was removed from the bike leaving everything else as it was. There was a before and after dyno test. Surprisingly, the results were that removing the cat has just a negligible increase in hp. There is no large increase. It was as if removing it isn't worth the effort.
Even in magazine reviews back in the day, when the factories started adding them in the exhaust, the review would state that the addition of the cat had no effect on rwhp.

Offline kendo

• Z900 Junior Member
I put on an Arrow slip on mostly for weight savings (huge) and better sound. Even with the db killer out itís not too loud. In fact I wish it was a little louder but at least it sounds better than OEM. No significant hp gain.

Offline stuartho

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Brisbane
Hereís a list of pros and cons for removing the Catalytic converter. Itís car focussed but still relevant. The big issue for me is that it might grant more HP in the top rpm range but reduce midrange torque due to the reduced back pressure. And secondly, not spewing out toxic gasses is a good thing.

https://greengarageblog.org/13-removing-catalytic-converter-pros-and-cons

Offline Flywalker

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Niseko
*Originally Posted by kendo [+]
I put on an Arrow slip on mostly for weight savings (huge) and better sound. Even with the db killer out itís not too loud. In fact I wish it was a little louder but at least it sounds better than OEM. No significant hp gain.

I drilled 6 holes into my Arrow db killer. The bike sounds better and pulls harder at WOT.

Offline shards

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: Estepona
I didn't need any more power, just a slight weight loss and the ability to leave my right foot anywhere.  So I ended up with this Mivv.  They claim more hp and torque, but it's hard to tell.