Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Short ride from Monterey down PCH past Big Sur to landslide  (Read 391 times)

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Retired, 77, knees are shot from surfing
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Royal Oaks
A few of us took a short ride from Monterey down the coast past Big Sur to where part of the Pacific Coast Highway at Rat Creek slid into the ocean (It's been on the major networks News for awhile) Traffic NORTH AND SOUTH will be unable to pass for quite some time. The highway was built years ago on SAND...sooo when rains come it's often washed away. Just an aside: I really appreciated the ground clearance on the Z900 when I had to ride on dirt at the TURN AROUND. I think I would've bottomed-out if I had a lower fairing. There was rider with us on a Suzuki GSX S1000 that broke a piece of his lower fairing off..ouch...PEACE  :305:RIDE SAFE

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Short ride from Monterey down PCH past Big Sur to landslide
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:26:01 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen  :192:

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:54:22 AM
my bad...normally I'll take either my camera or the helmet that has the little GoPro mounted on top......I will see if any of the others took pictures...IF you want to see the area where the slide is...The major networks CBS,NBC and ABC may still be running the story...I will check on GOOGLE and see if I can find and attach the story...I was glad the Z900 didn't scrape on the dirt TURN AROUND some of the bikes did. I followed my friend on his XSR900 and he was following a tire track from a truck...again MY BAD
Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:55:31 AM by BorderlandBiker

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 11:26:16 PM
This photo was taken with a drone of the PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY landslide that blocks N & S travel....we rode as far south as we could go

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:16:29 PM
*Originally Posted by BorderlandBiker [+]
This photo was taken with a drone of the PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY landslide that blocks N & S travel....we rode as far south as we could go
That is one precarious section with the inland gully. It needs a bridge there actually. But that ain't gonna happen.
I've driven PCH many times and twice by motorcycle. It never gets old. Whether you are in fog, rain or a sunny day it's all beautiful. A man would be lucky to drive it and experience all three types of weather on the same ride.

Offline BorderlandBiker

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 12:33:34 AM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
That is one precarious section with the inland gully. It needs a bridge there actually. But that ain't gonna happen.
I've driven PCH many times and twice by motorcycle. It never gets old. Whether you are in fog, rain or a sunny day it's all beautiful. A man would be lucky to drive it and experience all three types of weather on the same ride.
Ditto...Over the years I've ridden from Monterey to Big Sur to Cambria many times...The CHP patrols it well...sooooo be good for goodness sake...In the past the RIVER INN would have Doo Wop and 'Oldies but Goodies' bands...when the fog comes in and you can't see...everyone begins to believe in Jesus...