Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New exhaust before break-in period finished?  (Read 614 times)

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: CO
New exhaust before break-in period finished?
on: February 22, 2021, 05:55:36 PM
I know there are a zillion opinions on break-in periods...not looking to start another thread on that.

Hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question hahaah

I am curious what you experts think about tossing on an exhaust before break-in is done.  I'm sitting at ~100 miles on my '20 model and just picked up an Austin Racing setup over the weekend

It's taunting me sitting in the garage while I await the header gaskets (should arrive today!)

Do you think it'd have any significant impact on the bike to toss it on this early into it's use?  I plan on riding the wheels off this thing once spring/summer hits, but for now we're in the "get it in while you can" mode, as we have nice days like today, then it'll snow again 2 days later.  Won't be getting any serious mileage for a bit, methinks, and I'd like to throw the exhaust on if it's not too big of a deal

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: New exhaust before break-in period finished?
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 07:03:01 PM
I dont see what difference it would make. The stuff that needs breaking in will still get broken in with a full system, so why not :027:
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:25:11 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking, figured I'd see if anyone had any commentary to the contrary.

Postman just showed up, so I guess I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Bristol
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:33:47 PM
Hi , running in the motor/gearbox/brakes & tyres  has nothing to do with the exhaust system, unless you are doing tricky decatting, altering lambda sensor signal , injection remapping etc.
I took the horrendous standard endcan off my bike asap to fit a lighter stainless item

Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:34:30 PM by Bentham

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:03 PM
Yeah I've already got the new exhaust on and just about buttoned up! It's a full decat system, but I'm not too concerned about running it like this.

Quite excited to hear it purr like it should!! I hear this exhaust is a bit loud for some, but I wear earplugs when I ride so it should be alright

Offline Fogg72

• Z900 Pro
  • 🟢 Back to Kwak 🟢
  • Bike: Z900 & ZX6R
  • Town / City: Fareham
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:03:47 PM
Swapped my exhaust before I'd even ridden my bike.  :008:

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 08:05:27 PM
I also bought mine brand new with the Akrapovic slip-on already installed. 😁
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 09:26:29 PM
Welp, it's done and I got to ride for a whopping 10 miles just to hear it...then got busy with work/family.  Then the weather hit bad last night, over a foot of snow, so hopefully it'll clear out and I'll be able to get some legs stretched on it next week or weekend.

I'll say...the Austin Racing gp3 setup is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Miles better than the nearly silent stock setup.  Luckily my neighbors are used to me having loud vehicles (former was an 800whp procharged Camaro), so I shouldn't have to worry about hearing them yell at me :)

Happy riding everyone, definitely happy w the exhaust, I'll try to get some sound clips at some point, but the weather over the past month has made work just miserable for me, and it's not exactly "go ride in the mountains" season quite yet hahaha

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 04:02:52 AM
*Originally Posted by hazy [+]
Welp, it's done and I got to ride for a whopping 10 miles just to hear it...then got busy with work/family.  Then the weather hit bad last night, over a foot of snow, so hopefully it'll clear out and I'll be able to get some legs stretched on it next week or weekend.

I'll say...the Austin Racing gp3 setup is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Miles better than the nearly silent stock setup.  Luckily my neighbors are used to me having loud vehicles (former was an 800whp procharged Camaro), so I shouldn't have to worry about hearing them yell at me :)

Happy riding everyone, definitely happy w the exhaust, I'll try to get some sound clips at some point, but the weather over the past month has made work just miserable for me, and it's not exactly "go ride in the mountains" season quite yet hahaha
How about some sound clips of that Camaro as well. 😍

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 05:00:13 AM
Hahaha well those I do have....

Lots of snow on the ground here, but Z clips will hopefully be soon. Spring is just around the corner!

416ci LS3 stroker w forged internals, f1-a procharger, Fore level 2 fuel w 2x walboro 450s, and a good clutch

10# boost at altitude with a big pulley, I was going for 1,000+ but then life happened. Setup was built for a solid 1,200 or so.

It was such a fun car
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:03:25 AM by hazy