Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Maintenance Questions  (Read 1139 times)

Offline ARZ90035

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Greenwood
Maintenance Questions
on: March 01, 2021, 04:25:35 PM
I知 picking up my Z900 tonight finally and I知 very excited! This is my first bike that I知 looking to do my own maintenance on as I致e been on dirt bikes for a long time but as I知 just in my very early 20s my parents always had the maintenance on those done.

The Z900 I知 getting is in almost new condition and it is a 2017 model without ABS.

I know how to change oil, and flush/bleed brake fluid and I have purchased a service manual already as well.

I致e done a lot of research as this is my first street bike going from a few dirt bikes in the past but I just had a few questions below.

When it comes to normal unexpected maintenance aside from oil changes, fluid bleeding and other things you壇 do on a schedule what can I expect to come up? I know that may include clutch cables, brake cables, a new clutch as a whole, etc. I would just like to financially be prepared for anything that may come up.

If you have any links available to any of the items for the maintenance such as a brake cable, or friction plates on a clutch that you壇 recommend please drop a link.

Thank you!

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Maintenance Questions
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 08:22:36 PM
I'm sorry to report you bought the wrong bike if you are looking to prepare financially for "unexpected" things. You are headed for a boring experience outside of normal maintenance. Kawasaki is the worst at "unexpected" excitement. It's so reliable its boring. All I can do with mine is ride ride ride....
Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:24:55 PM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline ARZ90035

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Greenwood
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:28:47 PM
The less maintenance the better! I live an an area where the riding season is about 8-9 months of the year so I want to ride as much as possible! That sounds great that it will generally be normal maintenance. I値l just inspect the clutch components, brakes, and cables when I do oil changes to stay safe. Thanks for the response!

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:43:56 PM
Joking aside, all I can add to help with longevity is...

Check clutch lever/play often
Change oil often
Lube clutch cable once every season
Brake fluid flush every year (DOT 5.1)
Drain/refill fork oil every 8K miles (1 bottle enough for both forks)

You didn't say how many miles on your '17, but you will want to adjust valves between 20k to 25k miles.

If you ride aggressively, I highly suggest you upgrade the clutch springs with Brock's
https://brocksperformance.com/heavy-duty-clutch-spring-kit-z900rs-cafe-18-21-and-z900-17-21/

SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:36:14 PM
 All good stuff from Frontline.
 More importantly, as it's a '17, check if your bike qualified for the shock mount reinforcement recall and that the brackets have been fitted.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 03:52:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Joking aside, all I can add to help with longevity is...

Check clutch lever/play often
Change oil often
Lube clutch cable once every season
Brake fluid flush every year (DOT 5.1)
Drain/refill fork oil every 8K miles (1 bottle enough for both forks)

You didn't say how many miles on your '17, but you will want to adjust valves between 20k to 25k miles.

If you ride aggressively, I highly suggest you upgrade the clutch springs with Brock's
https://brocksperformance.com/heavy-duty-clutch-spring-kit-z900rs-cafe-18-21-and-z900-17-21/

Did they change the brake fluid requirement or does it vary from country to country?   My manual clearly says DOT 4. 

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 07:06:22 AM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]

Did they change the brake fluid requirement or does it vary from country to country?   My manual clearly says DOT 4.

Think of 5.1 as 4 on steroids. It has higher boiling point and is 100% compatible with dot 4. If 4 is what is called for, use only dot4 or dot 5.1, not dot 3.
Dot 5 is different and not compatible.
Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:09:04 AM by 3alfa3