Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello all from the Champaign!  (Read 525 times)

Offline hockeynguyen

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Champaign
Hello all from the Champaign!
on: April 05, 2021, 08:48:39 AM
Hi all! I've been riding for about 2 years now and the 2017 Z900 in Gray/Green was my second bike. Purchased it for around $5200 with ~1200 miles on it. Would've loved ABS but the price tag was just too good to pass up. If anyone is around the Champaign/Urbana area in IL LMK and we can ride! I keen on replacing the stock tires soon so if you guys have any recommendations I would love to hear them, I'm currently looking towards Michelin Road 5's since I mainly commute and do long distance riding. Have a great day!

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
Re: Hello all from the Champaign!
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:26:24 AM
G'day from Australia, can't go wrong with either Pilot Road 4's or 5's.

Offline hockeynguyen

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 03:11:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome MaverickAUS! How's the weather been treating you? Do you have any personal favorites when it comes to tires?

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 04:26:46 PM
Welcome! I have only used the road 5s but I can say that with about 7000 miles on mine they still look new and I havent had any traction issues with them. I havent tested in rain but they should be a great commuter tire.

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 05:31:10 PM
*Originally Posted by hockeynguyen [+]
Thanks for the welcome MaverickAUS! How's the weather been treating you? Do you have any personal favorites when it comes to tires?

Weather has been wet, Had 6 weeks of rain and another 2 weeks are predicted. We could do with a dry spell. I only ran the 5's for a short spell so can't comment on longevity but they handle well, wet or dry. I've been happy with the Pilot Road series having used the 2's, 4 and 4 GT as well as the 5's. All have lasted well.

Offline hockeynguyen

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 05:47:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Led Zed 70 [+]
Welcome! I have only used the road 5s but I can say that with about 7000 miles on mine they still look new and I havent had any traction issues with them. I havent tested in rain but they should be a great commuter tire.

Thanks! That is one of the main reasons I've been considering the Road 5's, their longevity. I've just about worn out the OEM tires on the Z900 after about 5200 miles so I'm looking forward to that. Have you had any trouble with a white powder on some internal cables? I can upload some pics later if needed.

Offline hockeynguyen

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 05:52:25 PM
*Originally Posted by MaverickAus [+]
Weather has been wet, Had 6 weeks of rain and another 2 weeks are predicted. We could do with a dry spell. I only ran the 5's for a short spell so can't comment on longevity but they handle well, wet or dry. I've been happy with the Pilot Road series having used the 2's, 4 and 4 GT as well as the 5's. All have lasted well.

Sorry to hear about the rain, I'm sure you're use to it by now and plus having the Road 5's probably help a lot with the wet. The only experience I've had with the Z900 in the rain is riding it home the day I got it and we get a flash flood warning and a hell of downpour in the middle of riding. Was about 50 miles from home so that was fun, ended up sliding out the rear since I wasn't that used to the bike yet and high sided at about 5 mph while turning into my neighborhood. The damage wasn't too bad and nothing some sanding and painting can't handle, ended up replacing the side "Z" fender for a new OEM fender. Damage was more to my confidence and my feelings about wet riding, hope you're safe in the rain!

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:05:50 PM
*Originally Posted by hockeynguyen [+]
Sorry to hear about the rain, I'm sure you're use to it by now and plus having the Road 5's probably help a lot with the wet. The only experience I've had with the Z900 in the rain is riding it home the day I got it and we get a flash flood warning and a hell of downpour in the middle of riding. Was about 50 miles from home so that was fun, ended up sliding out the rear since I wasn't that used to the bike yet and high sided at about 5 mph while turning into my neighborhood. The damage wasn't too bad and nothing some sanding and painting can't handle, ended up replacing the side "Z" fender for a new OEM fender. Damage was more to my confidence and my feelings about wet riding, hope you're safe in the rain!

Sorry about your crash, switching to rain mode may have helped in that situation. My Z is brand new I only picked it up last Wednesday, my tyre experience is on other bikes, but I have never had a slip on Michelins.