Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z900 hiflo oil filters  (Read 756 times)

Offline Zapp_Brannigan

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019 Z900
  • Town / City: Pikeville
Z900 hiflo oil filters
on: April 18, 2021, 10:17:58 PM
Hey guy, just bought a 2019 Z900 for 6k (usd) with only 1200 miles. This is my first naked sport and Iím in love. With that said.....

Iím going to do an oil and filter change to be safe.

I noticed Kawasaki filters are made in China and Iím not fond of that. Iíve been looking at hiflo filters (HF303 and the 303rc. It says on their website the 303rc is an upgrade over the standard 303. Can anyone confirm? Is the 303rc better overall? Hiflo seems to have made an excellent name for themselves. Theyíd have to be better than the Chinese garbage Kawasaki makes.

Also, I plan on using Mobil 1 4t racing oil based on oil analysis results.

The bike will only be street ridden. Nothing extreme or hardcore. Some bursts of speed here and there. Nothing like on a track though.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Re: Z900 hiflo oil filters
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 12:13:18 AM
 Where do you get the notion that Chinese made Kawasaki branded filters are "garbage"? If Kawasaki are happy to have their oil filters manufactured in China to Kawasaki's own specifications I'm more than happy to install one on my bike.
 Hiflo oil filters have a good reputation and are generally made in Thailand.
 AFAIK the only difference between a H303 and H303RC is the nut and lock-wiring feature on the the top of the RC.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Zapp_Brannigan

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019 Z900
  • Town / City: Pikeville
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:23:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Where do you get the notion that Chinese made Kawasaki branded filters are "garbage"? If Kawasaki are happy to have their oil filters manufactured in China to Kawasaki's own specifications I'm more than happy to install one on my bike.
 Hiflo oil filters have a good reputation and are generally made in Thailand.
 AFAIK the only difference between a H303 and H303RC is the nut and lock-wiring feature on the the top of the RC.

K&N used to be made by Hiflo in Thailand. Since IIRC have changed suppliers and factories over to China. A lot of failure rates. Iíve built tooling for the BIG 3 for 14 years. Chinese metals and tooling were complete garbage. Manufacture filters used to be made in Japan. Iíd be perfect with that. But not China. Iíve had too many Chinese tools break, or metal built dies explode.

IMO Chinese stuff is garbage. Kawasaki can be happy all they want. I will not. Which is why Iím here asking about the main differences of HIFLO 303 and 303rc. Other than a nut. There has to be other factors. Micron ratings? Flow speed? Etc. i canít find anything, so i canít say for sure.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 04:24:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Zapp_Brannigan [+]
Theyíd have to be better than the Chinese garbage Kawasaki makes.
I've been using these "garbage" Kawasaki filters for just under 40,000 miles on my Z :164:

BTW: I'm all for deleting everything "made in chine" off the planet, but I think you are generalizing...and to some extent, I may be also, so I digress.  :158:
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:53:07 AM
*Originally Posted by Zapp_Brannigan [+]
I noticed Kawasaki filters are made in China and Iím not fond of that. Iíve been looking at hiflo filters (HF303 and the 303rc. It says on their website the 303rc is an upgrade over the standard 303. Can anyone confirm? Is the 303rc better overall? Hiflo seems to have made an excellent name for themselves. Theyíd have to be better than the Chinese garbage Kawasaki makes.
You've started your question with a presupposition, so there's no point in challenging that since your mind is already made up.

With that out of the way: Kawasaki OEM filters are fine, and Hiflo Filtro filters are fine. For street use it's splitting hairs regarding the different Hiflo parts. You don't need to lockwire an oil filter in order to ride to the shops via the canyons.

Some mid-production K&N filters are not fine due to poor hex nut weld and rupture risk. Some scrutineers will not permit a bike with a K&N filter to be ridden on the track. AFAIK, K&N contracted out to a mix of different suppliers.
Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:59:01 AM by KellyL

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 12:53:35 PM
There was a comparison few years ago when China made OEM filters came to market with previous ones: conclusion: good as before.

Hiflo is also very good filter, i used cca 15-20 of them (HF303) on previous Kawasaki bikes (two Z750), but i've had a good offer on OEM filters and bought 10 of them few months ago.

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: New York
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 02:22:35 PM
I've used Kawasaki filters on my 2020 Z for 6000 miles and no issue. Also used them for a 2002 ZX-9R for 45,000 miles. Again no issue. I will continue to use them.  To each there own. However I can agree that China made parts usually stink, but no these filters  :028:

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 03:05:24 PM
I used to go with Purolator car filters and never had a problem or heard of one. BUT... with one bike I owned the owners were having trouble going with the auto filters. It's a long story which I won't repeat but if anybody is interested I'll try and post up a link to the forum discussion. It had to do with low oil pressure.
Put it this way, for me it's OEM filters from now on. Though I've used OEM Honda filters on the Z.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 11:19:11 AM

I've ran Purolator for years on the Ninja + converted the ZRX over to a spin on filter, no problems with them.
Haven't looked for a cross # with the Z yet, on the last one of a 3 pack purchase.
"The ride is the reason"

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 12:33:01 PM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
I've ran Purolator for years on the Ninja + converted the ZRX over to a spin on filter, no problems with them.
Haven't looked for a cross # with the Z yet, on the last one of a 3 pack purchase.
I never had problems with the Purolator filters either. Murph's filter adapters have a listing for which auto filters work well in motorcycles (with their lower pressure pumps) but I can't seem to find it on their website.