Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shifting questions  (Read 1434 times)

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900B
  • Town / City: Boise, ID
Shifting questions
on: April 20, 2021, 12:01:16 AM
Hello,

My name is Devon and I am a brand new rider (i.e. I have little experience riding). I just purchased a 2019 z900 abs this last Friday and had a few questions regarding riding:

(1) at what rpms should I be upshifting? I don't have the experience to be able to just "know" when I should shift. I mean I hear it for the most part but still figuring that out as well.

(2) Is the upshifting indicator helpful?

(3) What are some general guidelines/warning as it relates downshifting/engine breaking?

Thanks for helping a newb out!! So stoked about this forum.

Online Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Re: Shifting questions
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:16:07 AM
Welcome! Go to your manual and set your rpm limit indicator to the recommended settings for break in period. After that just shift before 10.5 k rpms max. It will flash when it reaches rpms you set it for. Also vary your rpms while breaking in!✌🏻
Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:18:53 AM by Led Zed 70

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:42 AM
*Originally Posted by dflowers0122 [+]
(1) at what rpms should I be upshifting? I don't have the experience to be able to just "know" when I should shift. I mean I hear it for the most part but still figuring that out as well.
(2) Is the upshifting indicator helpful?
(3) What are some general guidelines/warning as it relates downshifting/engine breaking?
(1) There is no gold standard for when you should up-shift. It all depends on the type of accelerating or riding you are doing. Just casual city type riding, I shift between 4k to 5k. When I accelerate quickly I increase that to 8K. When I want maximum acceleration, I shift to 10K in each gear! Just keep riding, it will eventually come to you. If it doesn't, sell the Z and buy a playstation.

(2) I never rely on the shift indicator (flashing needle). Only time I'm paying attention to the tach is on the top of 5th and 6th gear (because I can't hear exhaust at those speeds).

(3) I personally prefer to down-shift (rev-match actually) all gears when coming into turns or to a stop. Some people only use brakes to stop (at traffic light). Find your own style. Since the Z has a slipper clutch, you don't need to fear locking up the rear tire when downshifting, so not much to warn about. Since you are new, make sure you are in the ideal gear before the turn and maintain that gear through exit.
Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:39:04 AM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 05:38:34 PM
Welcome to our little Z world Devon.

Where are you based and don't you have to have any riding tuition to get your motorbike licence?

A little training can go a long way.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:47:13 PM
*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]
Welcome to our little Z world Devon.

Where are you based and don't you have to have any riding tuition to get your motorbike licence?

A little training can go a long way.

Located in Idaho. I recently took a basic riders course. Very helpful but never got out of second gear (we were in a parking lot). Then I decided to purchase a Z a week later. Hopefully this bike isnt too much for me. If it is, ahh well :)

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:49:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
(1) There is no gold standard for when you should up-shift. It all depends on the type of accelerating or riding you are doing. Just casual city type riding, I shift between 4k to 5k. When I accelerate quickly I increase that to 8K. When I want maximum acceleration, I shift to 10K in each gear! Just keep riding, it will eventually come to you. If it doesn't, sell the Z and buy a playstation.

(2) I never rely on the shift indicator (flashing needle). Only time I'm paying attention to the tach is on the top of 5th and 6th gear (because I can't hear exhaust at those speeds).

(3) I personally prefer to down-shift (rev-match actually) all gears when coming into turns or to a stop. Some people only use brakes to stop (at traffic light). Find your own style. Since the Z has a slipper clutch, you don't need to fear locking up the rear tire when downshifting, so not much to warn about. Since you are new, make sure you are in the ideal gear before the turn and maintain that gear through exit.

Very helpful. Thanks!! Practice makes perfect.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 07:26:50 PM
 In the UK a young rider would have to jump through multiple hoops such as testing & 2 year qualifying period on lower powered machinery before getting astride a Z900.  :087:
 Meanwhile across the pond someone who doesn't know how to change gear can wobble off the lot on a brand new one.  :745:

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 07:55:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
In the UK a young rider would have to jump through multiple hoops such as testing & 2 year qualifying period on lower powered machinery before getting astride a Z900.  :087:
 Meanwhile across the pond someone who doesn't know how to change gear can wobble off the lot on a brand new one.  :745:

Im sorry??? 😂😂

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 08:58:05 PM
*Originally Posted by dflowers0122 [+]
Im sorry??? 😂😂

:821:  :008: :821:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
While I agree spending 2 days in class to get a MC endorsement then zero restrictions on buying a H2 is pretty crazy, I feel having to spend 2 years "qualifying" on a low HP bike is absolutely ridiculous.

I will add, I've personally witnessed younger riders self control what they ride. I've only seen younger riders on MT07's or 300cc bikes. Don't ever recall seeing some punk riding anything crazy. Of course a big part of that is the cost of higher end models...
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM