Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shifting questions  (Read 1436 times)

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900B
  • Town / City: Boise, ID
Re: Shifting questions
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 11:16:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
While I agree spending 2 days in class to get a MC endorsement then zero restrictions on buying a H2 is pretty crazy, I feel having to spend 2 years "qualifying" on a low HP bike is absolutely ridiculous.

I will add, I've personally witnessed younger riders self control what they ride. I've only seen younger riders on MT07's or 300cc bikes. Don't ever recall seeing some punk riding anything crazy. Of course a big part of that is the cost of higher end models...

I looked at an MT07 and a ninja 300. All the bike sages where I live told me that I would grow out of it pretty fast. Ive done well on my Z900 so far...I think.  But thats only been like three days 😂.Lets see if Im still alive at the end of next year 🙏.

On a different note what does h2 stand for?...

...Okay maybe this is the point the other guy is trying to make. I dont even know basic terminology. 😂😂 Oh well Ill figure it out and keep asking questions. 😁
Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:17:22 PM by dflowers0122

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 11:29:55 PM
While I agree spending 2 days in class to get a MC endorsement then zero restrictions on buying a H2 is pretty crazy, I feel having to spend 2 years "qualifying" on a low HP bike is absolutely ridiculous.

I will add, I've personally witnessed younger riders self control what they ride. I've only seen younger riders on MT07's or 300cc bikes. Don't ever recall seeing some punk riding anything crazy. Of course a big part of that is the cost of higher end models...

I'm not suggesting one system is better than the other. Just making the observation that they are polar opposites.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 11:40:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I'm not suggesting one system is better than the other. Just making the observation that they are polar opposites.

I think the system in Merica is better 😉. Just kidding. Just kidding.

Now dont you two go fighting in my first forum post please. This is now how I want to being my forum experience 😂.

Now Cazzy could you answer my post question so I could get a another opinion please? 

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 12:00:06 AM
*Originally Posted by dflowers0122 [+]
Now Cazzy could you answer my post question so I could get a another opinion please?

Just shift at the rev limiter.  :305:

P.S. Rev Limiter:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev_limiter

:038:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 01:15:09 PM
The Z H2 is the supercharged version that "goes like sh#t off a shovel", as they say where I reside.
It's not the best looking of machines though 😂
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 04:50:50 PM
(1) There is no gold standard for when you should up-shift. It all depends on the type of accelerating or riding you are doing. Just casual city type riding, I shift between 4k to 5k.  Just keep riding, it will eventually come to you. If it doesn't, sell the Z and buy a playstation.

(2) I never rely on the shift indicator (flashing needle).

(3) I personally prefer to down-shift (rev-match actually) all gears when coming into turns or to a stop. Some people only use brakes to stop (at traffic light). Find your own style. Since the Z has a slipper clutch, you don't need to fear locking up the rear tire when downshifting, so not much to warn about. Since you are new, make sure you are in the ideal gear before the turn and maintain that gear through exit.

Excellent advise, and I will double-down on it. Yes, 4k-5k rpm is a good start for upshifting.

You don't need to set (and watch) the "gear shifting" reminder light (it can be distracting looking down at the dash). You will learn (by the rpm feel of the engine) when it's time to upshift.

Fortunately, the Z900 is easy to control... as long as you use a nice steady throttle roll. The front wheel doesn't come up off the ground, unless you are trying to bring it up.

The Z is not a difficult bike for those who are new to riding... just need to take it easy until you are comfortable with it's acceleration characteristics.

And don't forget.... the bike will go where you are looking (especially in corners and slow speed radius turning. Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go!

Offline broderp

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 02:07:53 AM
From one noob to another, here are my thoughts. 

I also recall my MC riding course,  your right - two days and never getting past second gear about sums it up.   :008:

Most of those courses use 125 or 250cc bikes, so going from that to a 948cc bike is crazy.  Most riders dont have the skillset to fully comprehend riding in the real world, but are "brave" enough to think they do.  My first bike was a Z400 ABS,  and I rode it almost a year on my permit before I took the MC course. 

I'm new to the Z900, and currently ride it in rain mode.  Ive also been riding for about 2 years.  The Z900 is not a beginners bike or a good first bike. 
In regards to your question, the owners manual covers the proper shift points during break in.  My humble opinion is that shifting at 4k is fine, but many will think it implies a fast acceleration.  It should not.  I see no harm in shifting at lower RPM on this bike, you should shift into the next gear as long as you dont bogg the engine and stay in the power band. 

Offline dflowers0122

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 03:49:07 AM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
From one noob to another, here are my thoughts. 

I also recall my MC riding course,  your right - two days and never getting past second gear about sums it up.   :008:

Most of those courses use 125 or 250cc bikes, so going from that to a 948cc bike is crazy.  Most riders dont have the skillset to fully comprehend riding in the real world, but are "brave" enough to think they do.  My first bike was a Z400 ABS,  and I rode it almost a year on my permit before I took the MC course. 

I'm new to the Z900, and currently ride it in rain mode.  Ive also been riding for about 2 years.  The Z900 is not a beginners bike or a good first bike. 
In regards to your question, the owners manual covers the proper shift points during break in.  My humble opinion is that shifting at 4k is fine, but many will think it implies a fast acceleration.  It should not.  I see no harm in shifting at lower RPM on this bike, you should shift into the next gear as long as you dont bogg the engine and stay in the power band.

Nice thoughts my man. I've been consistently shifting around 4-6k. Seems to be going well thus far.

And in terms of the bike, I am getting mixed messages about whether or not this bike is too powerful for me. I am riding it to work every day and it seems to be fine so far. It's not a twitchy bike in terms of rolling on the throttle. That's the biggest thing for me right now in terms of being fearful of something. I guess I will just have to see as time goes.

Quick questions for ya while I got you:

(1) What are some of "skill sets" that you deem essential for riding in the real world that most riders think they have but dont? This would be helpful for me

(2) What in the world is rain mode? I rode my bike in the rain today. But I presume it means little bit more than that?  :008:

Thanks bra!

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 02:22:12 PM
*Originally Posted by dflowers0122 [+]

(1) What are some of "skill sets" that you deem essential for riding in the real world that most riders think they have but dont? This would be helpful for me

(2) What in the world is rain mode? I rode my bike in the rain today. But I presume it means little bit more than that?  :008:

Thanks bra!

1)
* PAYING ATTENTION TO SURROUNDINGS, ESPECIALLY AT INTERSECTIONS (both sitting and going thru them).
* Knowing when your in over your head and what to do.
* Cornering skills
* How to use properly use the brakes

2)
Your bike is a 2019, it doesn't have any  "modes"-  they came out with the 2nd generation Z in 2020+
"The ride is the reason"

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky