Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Error code "24" rear wheel position sensor  (Read 789 times)

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: NWA
Error code "24" rear wheel position sensor
on: April 26, 2021, 03:11:20 PM
Alright Z fam once again here I come with another issues.

Long story short took the bike on an 8 hour ride, approximately an hour away from returning home, I see the check engine light on and my speedometer wasn't working, freaking out I'm trying to haul ass and make it home since I was out in boonies and didn't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Checked for an error code and it displays 24 and see it's the sensor, any one have any issues with it in the past? Any solutions? No warranty on the bike either :/  I've checked for damage on the rotors and rims and everything seems fine.

I know I can always count on y'all 👍🏾😎

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Error code "24" rear wheel position sensor
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 03:44:17 PM
Since its no longer registering speed, it could be as simple as a dead rear sensor. At very least, I would re-seat the connectors (the ECU, ABS module and sensor connectors). If you didn't want to experiment with buying a new rear sensor, you will need to check continuity between sensor, ABS and ECU.

BTW: forgot to add. There was recall concerning rear brake cable routing, resulting in failing hose and speed sensor. Does your VIN fall between JKAZR2A12JA000006 and  JKAZR2B12JA004569
Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:50:41 PM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 04:25:15 PM
Frontline i believe I have found my issues

I forgot to put the bracket from the speed sensor wire back onto the new brake line, thought I had it snugged up on there. But I was wrong, it rubbed against the tire.

Would it hurt to splice the wires back together?? Or just go with the new sensor?

Gawd I feel so dumb lesson learned to anyone who else does new brake lines!! 😤😞

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 04:39:26 PM
As I suspected...

As I pointed out, there was a recal 18V-866 on exactly this. There was a failure to properly route the brake hose and rear speed sensor, resulting in tire rubbing and creating the issue you are having. Ironic that you made the same mistake as someone in the assembly line.

Since you changed brake hoses for aftermarket, its will NOT be covered under recall. Buy a new sensor. Full stop.

DO NOT TRY TO REPAIR THE SENSOR CABLE.
Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:41:59 PM by Frontline

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 06:09:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
DO NOT TRY TO REPAIR THE SENSOR CABLE.

Why?

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 07:00:11 PM
*Originally Posted by 3alfa3 [+]
Why?
Because they are more than just a standard wire as they measure the pulse ultra accurately and when a "repair" is attempted, it can cause issues with the data it requires. One could look at an oscilloscope wave pattern of a back-yard repaired sensor vs new and large majority of the time its very obvious. Again, the data passed through the wire is NOT equal to typical low voltage current signal.

If the bike didn't have ABS, it wouldn't matter as much as the worst case is the speedometer could be affected. Don't mean to sound dramatic but why risk your life just to save $100...

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 07:18:07 PM
Thanks for explanation

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 12:13:05 AM
Alright fellas spliced the old wire, until the new one came back, had zero issues. Got the new one installed and of course another issue appeared.

Maybe this is a sign lol I wasn't meant to ride ha 🤣 got a nail on the rear tyre on my way to work this morning. Ahhh gotta love it right??

Frontline thank you for passing your knowledge down to individuals to me. It helps a lot 👍🏾the more you know.  some day if we cross paths I'll buy you a beer 🍻 ha

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 12:53:55 AM
I too would 100% patch the old sensor temporarily until new replacement came in.

Now a nail in tire?...WTF  :230: I've never had it happen but will probably cry when I do. If tire relatively new, I would do a repair from inside. Regular tire plugs are fine to get you home but IMO, thats all. Sorry to hear about that  :003:

Glad you got this sensor issue sorted out  :821:

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 12:28:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]

Now a nail in tire?...WTF  :230: I've never had it happen but will probably cry when I do. If tire relatively new, I would do a repair from inside. Regular tire plugs are fine to get you home but IMO, thats all. Sorry to hear about that  :003:

It sucked the tire wasn't even on the bike for over a year, this is the second time it's happened to me lol 😅 I guess I should expect a nail every riding season til I quit riding lol 😆