Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Throttle issue? (new Z900)  (Read 2214 times)

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Re: Throttle issue? (new Z900)
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 06:58:35 PM
My 2018 model does exactly the same and I also have never noticed it on any other bike I've owned in over 40 years of biking.

At first I was also concerned there may be a fault but have come to the conclusion it is normal for this particular bike.

I have found it handy to be able to force the cold idle to be lowered by rotating the throttle a bit more 'closed' before selecting 1st gear and reducing the heavy clunk of the gearbox that you get at a high idle speed.

I also have to stop at a junction within 100 yards of leaving home and the ability to close the throttle to lower the higher cold idle revs means the bike doesn't feel like its trying to power me forward when in reality the throttle is closed but still trying to rev at 2k+ rpm.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 08:45:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
I am only confused why you are concerned on something that is working exactly as designed.
I didn't know that when I started the thread did I?

And, why are you trying to manually "retard" throttle...let it warm up by itself and it will self adjust to normal in literally minutes. Clearly concerned over nothing.

I happen to notice it while I was backing the bike down the driveway to let it warm up.  To do this I had to turn the handle bars sharply multiple times due to the cars partially blocking me.  Whilst holding the hand grips I noticed the rpm change, this is what caught my attention.  I'm not doing it intentionally.

Clearly concerned over nothing.

Because you were born knowing everything, you can cast stones right?

Also, the ECU has nothing to do with cold start or more specifically, this increased idle thing you are concerned about.
So enlighten me.  What manages engine rpm when cold? How does it know to set itself to 2K when cold then after input from one or more sensors - lower rpm down to the normal 1k rpm?   

I am not concerned over "increased idle" - I was asking why the idle can be reduced - as no other motorcycle I own does this.

Geez, do you always give people a hard time who ask questions??  I didn't join the forum to be belittled - I thought this was a place to learn and share.   :187:

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 08:48:02 PM
*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]
My 2018 model does exactly the same and I also have never noticed it on any other bike I've owned in over 40 years of biking.

At first I was also concerned there may be a fault but have come to the conclusion it is normal for this particular bike.

I have found it handy to be able to force the cold idle to be lowered by rotating the throttle a bit more 'closed' before selecting 1st gear and reducing the heavy clunk of the gearbox that you get at a high idle speed.

I also have to stop at a junction within 100 yards of leaving home and the ability to close the throttle to lower the higher cold idle revs means the bike doesn't feel like its trying to power me forward when in reality the throttle is closed but still trying to rev at 2k+ rpm.

I will have to try that.  The drop into first is a but abrupt for me when compared to my 400 or the wifes Rebel (250).  Thanks for that insight.  :028:

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 10:07:46 PM
I am only confused why you are concerned on something that is working exactly as designed. And, why are you trying to manually "retard" throttle...let it warm up by itself and it will self adjust to normal in literally minutes. Clearly concerned over nothing.

Also, the ECU has nothing to do with cold start or more specifically, this increased idle thing you are concerned about.
.    I have to agree with Frontline, hes a pretty knowledgeable guy! I would just make sure clutch and throttle is adjusted properly and ride on brother! I let Elvira warm up until rpms drop then I ride her! ✌🏻🍻😎 Its Friday!!!
Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:11:15 PM by Led Zed 70

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 10:25:46 PM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
Geez, do you always give people a hard time who ask questions??  I didn't join the forum to be belittled - I thought this was a place to learn and share.   :187:
Always? I think you haven't searched or looked around here if you are asking that. I'm ALWAYS willing to answer and help when and where I can. Don't flip and play victim if you aren't understanding what I'm explaining. I'm here to educate where (if) I can but its not my job to make you feel warm and happy. I can get short with people when I feel like its going in circles. Don't take it personal.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline JordiR

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Barcelona
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 09:26:00 AM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
I am not concerned over "increased idle" - I was asking why the idle can be reduced - as no other motorcycle I own does this.
It interests me too in knowing how it works technically.

I recommend that you edit the title to avoid future confusion.

@all, stop arguing over "nonsense" .:028:

Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:27:37 AM by JordiR
2019 Kawasaki Z900 125hp Candy Lime Green / Metallic Matte Graphite Gray
Brembo brake master cylinder; Goodridge braided brake line; DP HH+ brake Pads; Healtech QS; Ixil Exhaust; K-Tech Suspension
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpkPa06DyJax_MtKexakd8A/

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 07:55:39 PM
Always? I think you haven't searched or looked around here if you are asking that. I'm ALWAYS willing to answer and help when and where I can. Don't flip and play victim if you aren't understanding what I'm explaining. I'm here to educate wher  e (if) I can but its not my job to make you feel warm and happy. I can get short with people when I feel like its going in circles. Don't take it personal.

Thanks, I didn't take it personal.  I honestly feel you don't understand my question.   Just remember not everyone learns or absorbs information the same.   :821:

As an engineer, I don't accept yes or no type answers very well.  :084: I like to know how and why things work.  I have accepted the phenomenon I posted about is normal, now because I have some experience with other motorcycles want to know why the Z900 appears to work differently.  To know why I need to understand how both systems work and them look for the differences and hypothesis what's going on.   OR.......I could just as a Kawasaki design engineer...lol  Most people would be scared if they could read my mind when I focus on something like this.   :018:   Cheers. 

*Originally Posted by Led Zed 70 [+]
.    I have to agree with Frontline, hes a pretty knowledgeable guy! I would just make sure clutch and throttle is adjusted properly and ride on brother! I let Elvira warm up until rpms drop then I ride her! ✌🏻🍻😎 Its Friday!!!

Yup, put some miles on mine Friday as well.. :015:
Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:57:47 PM by broderp

Offline Balbino

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Lafayette
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 05:49:20 AM
I noticed this today. I did not realize it was from rolling the throttle forward.  I thought it was just from minor throttle inputs as I was maneuvering the bike for a turn around. I thought it was some wonky TBW signals and figured it would only be noticeable when fast idle warmup was active. It turns out I was half right. It did sort of jump out at me as unusual behavior as it has other people in this thread. My last bike would blip the throttle just a tiny bit when taking off from a dead stop without any throttle. (suzuki v-strom 650) I actually liked that feature once I knew what it was doing. With 948cc tuned for midrange I guess that feature isn't needed LOL.
Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:51:17 AM by Balbino

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 05:26:11 PM
When I bought my Z900 new, I didn't like the cold idle RPM.  Now I really like it because the machine taught me a sound lesson.

It's all in my right hand exactly where it belongs.

I agree that the owners manual SHOULD have described the cold idle circuit.  Alas, trial and error wins.

At the very least ... slow down the idle before engaging the transmission.

Offline CTX148

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 01:29:06 PM
My 2019 Z900 does this as well, if you roll the throttle closed on cold start the idle will drop a little bit.  Good to know this is normal behavior.