Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How old are you?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Re: How old are you?
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 12:21:15 AM
50 yrs young! Started as a pre school kid on a Montgomery ward mini bike with lawnmower engine that would take off on its own when started! Burned my leg real good on exhaust!! Honda trail 50 that was stuck in one gear, Yamaha mx 125 (moms dirt bike), 1984 KX 80, 88 KLR 250, 2005 Harley Night train soft tail with Sampson pipes that would set off car alarms, 2009 Yz 125( best dirt bike I ever had), 2007 Honda TRX 500 Foreman,Z900, and 2005 Yamaha v star 1100 custom. Bought Vstar for $300 and sold for $3500 after putting about $1500 to get it perfect. Had 4100 original miles on it and got to ride it a year. Still have 4 wheeler and Z currently. Wife says I have the mentality of a 18 yr old sometimes!!🤣🍻🍻

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: NWA
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 12:35:21 AM
21+ 5 years of experienced"legal" drinking 🍻 , for the "illegal" portion can't say lol too dam long to keep count

I've always been on two wheels all my life, as a kid I was always fascinated by owning a motorcycle. Mom wasn't too fond when I pulled in the driveway with a motorcycle. She thought it was a prank. I told her it was my addiction 🤣 she always told us when we we're younger "to work for our addictions" and to pay from them ourselves even if it was alcohol or drugs, or whatever. So I did lol

Dang looks like I'm one of them young whipper shnappers 😆

Not all of us young riders are reckless!!! Jk self control and knowing your limits is my moto.
Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:36:01 AM by BroskiiX

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 05:48:34 AM
I'm 60 and have been riding on and off since I was 15. Last 15 years I have had a KLR250, KLX250, Versys 650, KDX200, 3 x ZRX1200, Yamaha 250 Majesty, Versys 1000 and now have the 2021 Z900.

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 07:07:37 AM
29, my third bike. Achieved my goals so far. Family, a job, a house , a good bike before my 30.
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 09:15:06 AM
I'm now 60 and started at 16 with a new Yamaha FS1E, then progressed through RD125, RD350, a couple of Honda CX500's, then a gap of around 15 years when the kids came along and money was tighter.

I started up again on a Kawasaki ZZR600 followed by a Triumph Daytona 955i and then a 2004 Yamaha R1, (I loved that bike, very comfortable for a sports bike and the handling was superb, but too easy to get to ridiculous speeds on busy roads).

That was followed by a Triumph Sprint ST1050, the only bike I've ever tracked - and it was great fun, and now my Z900, the only bike I've bought new since the Fizzy in 1977.

My Wife always rode pillion with me on everything from the RD125, when we started going out together, right through to the Sprint, but has now given it up due to a medical condition. Had she still been able I would probably have the Z1000SX or an older BMW K1300S now so every cloud has a silver lining 😁
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 04:23:45 AM
*Originally Posted by stuartho [+]
Wow. Theres a story there all right!
Itll be good to hear how you both get on as you continue to learn together.

And my guess is that your wife liked riding the Z400 so much its her bike now? 😉

She still has the Honda Rebel.  She doesn't feel comfortable on the Z400 so doesn't ride it.  She got her endorsement,  but hasn't ridden in a while.  She's good enough to pass the DMV test but feels uncomfortable on public roads.  :027:  She hasn't ridden yet this year, so it will be a readjusting again.  She's afraid to lean the motorcycle, so she struggles with wide turns so we have work to do.   It will be an interesting year for sure.   Time is her biggest issue.  The work schedule she has makes it impossible to devote any real time to practice most days.  I'm hoping we will get to the point that we can take nice long rides on weekends together.  Baby steps.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 02:03:57 PM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
She still has the Honda Rebel.  She doesn't feel comfortable on the Z400 so doesn't ride it.  She got her endorsement,  but hasn't ridden in a while.  She's good enough to pass the DMV test but feels uncomfortable on public roads.  :027:  She hasn't ridden yet this year, so it will be a readjusting again.  She's afraid to lean the motorcycle, so she struggles with wide turns so we have work to do.   It will be an interesting year for sure.   Time is her biggest issue.  The work schedule she has makes it impossible to devote any real time to practice most days.  I'm hoping we will get to the point that we can take nice long rides on weekends together.  Baby steps.

The best way to get better and clear your head is riding + make some time for a life besides work  :028:
2 of my buddies own businesses (paving / sealing & tree removal), they run 6-7 days a week whenever but religiously drop work early & send their guys home as we have a group of family / couples that meet every Tuesday night 5;30 and go ride someplace to eat and hang out for a few hours- Person picking the destination leads the ride.

My Wife started out same way, got her an older $500 Suzuki GS 450 cruiser (if she dumped it I wasn't out any real $$), I'd take her over to the local high school and just drive around at low speeds and learning to shift, set our helmets out and do circles around them. She did 'ok' but wasn't comfortable actually out on the road in traffic, crossed the centerline turning alot. Just decided one day she didn't want to ride anymore- I didn't push the issue and sold the bike for $200 more than I paid... Back on with me for another 2 years.
We attended a dealer's open house and she sat on a 250 Ninja, said she liked the feel of it better than what the cruiser had been- suggested trying it again so found a 1999 250 ninja and she took much better to it, a better than basics course from following some experienced sport bike friends on rides and progressed quick. That bike went all over in 3 years, leading part of a weekend trip to Mt. Washington VT was good for her confidence.
We decided on a 650 Ninja as a replacement when she just out grew it, bought new in 2008 & still going with 43,000 miles- she also rides the Z occasionally when I take the old ZRX.
"The ride is the reason"

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 08:32:06 PM
I am in the older age bracket being 64 next month have been riding ever since I was 16 started off on a SS50 bought a FSIE after a couple of months first real bike was a Suzuki TT250 only one of 6 in UK.Various brands too many bikes to list mostly 600-1400cc sportsbikes sometimes 2 or 3 bikes in garage at same time.Mostly Kawasakis though.Current bike and probably my last is 2020 Z900.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 10:03:24 PM
Nice idea for a thread! Im 40.
Started riding dirt bikes and my older brothers Zephyr 550 around the yard in my mid teens. Switched from street to dirt a few times. Got my first Z in 2008, a leftover Z1000 from the previous year. Now have a 2017 Z900.