Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear spring wrench?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Re: Rear spring wrench?
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 08:16:02 PM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
To each his own I guess.  I'm a sticker about some things and not others. I don't own a drift, so the expense is somewhat justified in my mind. I don't mind having ornamental tools.   :008: 
Regarding one time use, I suppose that's subjective.  If one is to believe the teachings of Dave Moss, it would imply that as your skills develop you will need to make regular changes to the suspension to the point your skill out performs the suspension then its time for an upgrade.   Also within a given skillset arguably, there are different requirements - say on a track vs a long winding back road.  Someone could potentially use this tool multiple times a year, making it a worth while investment IMO.  (Or they can be like me and just want to have it... :164: )

To be fair the suspension may need adjustment in relation to compression(not available on stock rear shock) and rebound settings the preload/sag once set is unlikely to be changed unless you constantly change from solo to pillion use where more preload maybe required.Unfortunately the Z900 comes with the most basic of suspension front and rear and is well documented on here as being inadequate for anyone over the manufacturers preferred rider weight of 85kgs.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 08:45:22 PM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
To be fair the suspension may need adjustment in relation to compression(not available on stock rear shock) and rebound settings the preload/sag once set is unlikely to be changed unless you constantly change from solo to pillion use where more preload maybe required.Unfortunately the Z900 comes with the most basic of suspension front and rear and is well documented on here as being inadequate for anyone over the manufacturers preferred rider weight of 85kgs.

:460:
  In a nutshell.

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 06:57:24 PM
I purchased this spanner wrench Motion Pro Shock Spanner Wrench from Dennis Kirk....   Spanner Wrench Part No. 08-0029

It is the correct size, although the description says "Spanner wrench adjusts shocks on all Honda ATC 200X/250R/350X".

I removed the rear brake pedal electrical connector located on frame (it's in the way of destruction if wrench slips off).

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 09:59:12 PM
*Originally Posted by RedRooster [+]
I purchased this spanner wrench Motion Pro Shock Spanner Wrench from Dennis Kirk....   Spanner Wrench Part No. 08-0029

It is the correct size, although the description says "Spanner wrench adjusts shocks on all Honda ATC 200X/250R/350X".

I removed the rear brake pedal electrical connector located on frame (it's in the way of destruction if wrench slips off).

For the occasional use, if it fits/ works that would be great. 

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:13 PM
Yes, it is definitely the correct size for the collar nuts on our shock.

As with all spanner wrenches, the width of the spanner and the collar nut are basically the same...
so there isn't much leeway for the wrench to lean left or right without slipping off the nut prongs. Slow and careful, I never had it slip off the nut.

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 01:57:31 AM
Interesting. I have that c-spanner in my collection, and couldn't get it to work with my 2017 Z900 standard rear shock because of the subframe. Then again, my Tetris skills are lacking.