Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear spring wrench?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Rear spring wrench?
on: May 10, 2021, 07:19:08 PM
At first glance, Kawasaki didn't do me any favor in regards to adjusting preload on the rear spring.   The manual says to have it adjusted by the dealer and they dont give you the tool to do it either.   :157:   (My Z400 came with the wrench)

Since this is new for me, is there a special tool anyone can recommend?  Or are all wrenches the same?   I haven't looked yet, but I recall access to the adjusting nuts looked real tight, is there some disassembly required? Any tips from the forum pros?  I'm keeping the stock suspension at least until the warranty expires, I just may need to adjust it  for my weight and riding style. (If needed)

Thank you.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Re: Rear spring wrench?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:26:37 PM
Blunted cold chisel wrapped in electrical tape, and a hammer.
Sounds savage but the lock nuts were still unmarred when I replaced it with a proper shock.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 05:00:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Sounds savage but the lock nuts were still unmarred when I replaced it with a proper shock.

And don't forget your stool to sit on because it takes quite a while.

It's countless gentle taps, don't just swing away.  I have broken the adjuster ring by rushing the process.
Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:04:21 PM by Its about speed

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 05:09:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Its about speed [+]
And don't forget your stool to sit on because it takes quite a while.

It's countless gentle taps, don't just swing away.  I have broken the adjuster ring by rushing the process.

I just released the lock nut and turned the spring with hand, adjuster nut rotated with the spring.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 06:42:22 PM
 I don't recall it being a particularly time consuming process.
 Maybe I turned the spring too?  :027:It was over 3 years ago.
 It's not like it's a regular thing anyway, for a solo rider.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 07:24:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
+1
The only other thing you need is a bin (trash can).  This is where the OEM shock absorber should be.
Z1000.  I had a 900 so you'll never get rid of me. NEVER!

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:36:02 AM
Race Tech TSPA-01, or equivalent

Frame will prevent the use of a conventional c-wrench

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:44:04 PM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
Race Tech TSPA-01, or equivalent

Frame will prevent the use of a conventional c-wrench

This probably explains why the owners manual says to call the Kawasaki dealer.....the normal wrench would be easy enough to adjust with and would likely be covered in the manual (and perhaps offered in the tool bag).   Regardless, thanks for the tip and tool name.   If possible, I like to buy the proper tool for the job, but am not above using a screw driver and hammer if needed.  As my wife will attested to, any excuse to buy a new tool is a good day for me.  :169:

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 11:55:26 AM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
This probably explains why the owners manual says to call the Kawasaki dealer.....the normal wrench would be easy enough to adjust with and would likely be covered in the manual (and perhaps offered in the tool bag).   Regardless, thanks for the tip and tool name.   If possible, I like to buy the proper tool for the job, but am not above using a screw driver and hammer if needed.  As my wife will attested to, any excuse to buy a new tool is a good day for me.  :169:

The costly purchase of the special tool for a one time adjustment may outweigh any advantage of buying one.Just becomes an expensive ornament after. I adjusted both my 2019 and 2020 bikes using a hammer and copper drift at no cost.I have in the past made tools when possible but have had to buy special tools made by manufacturer deliberately which in my opinion are made to try to deter anyone other than dealer doing repairs.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 06:23:20 PM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
The costly purchase of the special tool for a one time adjustment may outweigh any advantage of buying one.Just becomes an expensive ornament after. I adjusted both my 2019 and 2020 bikes using a hammer and copper drift at no cost.I have in the past made tools when possible but have had to buy special tools made by manufacturer deliberately which in my opinion are made to try to deter anyone other than dealer doing repairs.
To each his own I guess.  I'm a sticker about some things and not others. I don't own a drift, so the expense is somewhat justified in my mind. I don't mind having ornamental tools.   :008: 
Regarding one time use, I suppose that's subjective.  If one is to believe the teachings of Dave Moss, it would imply that as your skills develop you will need to make regular changes to the suspension to the point your skill out performs the suspension then its time for an upgrade.   Also within a given skillset arguably, there are different requirements - say on a track vs a long winding back road.  Someone could potentially use this tool multiple times a year, making it a worth while investment IMO.  (Or they can be like me and just want to have it... :164: )
Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:27:40 PM by broderp