Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: "Break in Oil", "Mineral Oil" and "Regular Oil"  (Read 316 times)

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
"Break in Oil", "Mineral Oil" and "Regular Oil"
on: May 14, 2021, 07:33:34 PM
What's the difference between "Break in Oil", "Mineral Oil" and "Regular Oil"??

I never heard of "mineral oil" until I read few posts on the forum.  I also read that some motorcycles are shipped with a special "break in oil". 

I don't know if they are the same or if they apply to the Z900.   I was going to change the oil on my Z900 (200 miles on the odometer) to see if the theory that the engine is broken in after just a mere 20+ mikes and that the OEM oil.  Some even state the oil came out like water and full of metal shavings.   I figured I have nothing to lose as changing the oil with regular Kawasaki oil is the same as what's in the engine from the factory - right?  Now I'm not so sure.   

I'm second guessing the idea to do this as I have also read that the OEM break in should be done for proper break in of the engine.    If there are some special properties of the oil from the factory, then I could adversely impact the break in of my engine.  Well that is the fear anyway.

Sometimes to many opinions cloud logical thinking.  lol 

Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:36:56 PM by broderp

Online Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:06:00 PM by MattR
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Re: "Break in Oil", "Mineral Oil" and "Regular Oil"
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 08:06:45 PM

Awesome stuff thanks!  I paused the first video at 7:30 to read the screen.  Very interesting.  Who does one believe.  I don't have a dyno, so I guess I should follow the manufacturers break in schedule.... I'm also curious what the oil in the engine looks like form a compoisional standpoint.

The second video was an eye opener.   :821:
Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 08:17:43 PM by broderp