Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New wanting to go back to the bike hobby .. from Ontario Canada  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Cyborg1975

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Rockland
Hello guys and thanks for having me in ... following at last my driver license for Motorcycle at the age of 46 years old ... had just motocross and a little honda 250 when younger and now looking at the Z or the versys (not decided yet on the exact model, will need your experience)

I hope to find on this site some input from veterans or people knowing those models good

Thanks again

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: CO
you'll probably get some pretty biased opinions, seeing as how this is a forum dedicated to the Z.

However, as someone who's had various types of bikes over the past 20 years or so, the Z has become my "forever" bike.  I'll ride this thing til it doesn't go any more.

More or less, this bike ticks every box I have for a motorcycle.  Power, comfort, handling....all of it.

But most of those things are personal preferences.  If you're able to, ride both of them and then come to your own conclusions!

Best of luck, hope to see you around!

Offline stuartho

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Brisbane
 :0461:

<biased_opinion>

Get the Z

The Versys is a good bike but unless you absolutely need all that fairing for commuting then youll be better off on the 900.

The Z900 is easy to ride for someone getting back into bikes but it has more than enough zing for the road so youll never really outgrow it. It is smooth, confidence inspiring and fun. Ive ridden a lot of different bikes. Some do certain things better than the Z but nothing Ive ridden provides such a great combo of engine performance, handling, general usability and outright joy rolled into such an affordable package. Ive had mine for over 3 years and every time I think about getting something else I cant justify it. Id have to spend nearly double to get anything that suits me as well. (I dont get on with MT09s). And every time I ride the Z through the twisties I  return home with a grin on my face and light in my soul.

</biased_opinion>
Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:53:21 PM by stuartho

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
True story!

Offline Cyborg1975

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Thanks so much for the input so far, my main goals will be around town mostly and maybe commute if we go full time back to the office .. and rarely but sometimes some 3 to 4 hrs trips to go see the family and such ... I really have a vibe for the z900 .. I wil have to see if the insurance is REALLY more for the 900 compared to the z650 and see the options .. too bad the z900 dont have the seats of the versys lol as if I do a trip and my wife or son sits behind the Z it will be probably a bit rough for them .. might have to check a good winshield for the Z and good gel seats or such ..  I love also the fact that I could tune down the power if needed the time to get back in the groove

Offline MaverickAus

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Coffs Harbour
Having owned the Versys 650, Versys 1000 and now the Z900 I feel I have some input to offer. The Versys 650 is an excellent commuter and with the luggage fitted also will tour quite well, it handles the twisties brilliantly and is all round a very good thing.

The Versys 1000 (with luggage) is an genuine big country touring bike it will go all day at any speed you want and also handles windy roads almost as good as the 650. Both Versys are tall and if you are under 6ft you may struggle a bit with the height and weight. It's the reason I sold my V1K

The Z is more of a commuter and day rider, it's super fun in the mountains and has more power than the V1K. Certainly no-where near a s comfortable as either Versys.
Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:42:13 PM by MaverickAus

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2020 GSXS 1000
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Having owned the 9 and now owning both a GSXs1000 as well as the Versy1000 .... I have to say the are two completely different bikes meant for two different things. I am a bigger guy at 6' 225lbs and I never truly fit the 9, I fit the GSXS much better and the Versy perfectly. The 9 is a play bike and a short commute bike but please don't suffer your wife on the back unless she is 5' and 100lbs. If play and short commutes with no passengers is your thing the 9 is a great bike with no regrets. If you plan on longer commutes and a passenger consistently I would stay away from the 9.

My 0.06 cents
2020 GSXS 1000

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Welcome Cyborg 🍻
Pick the z900 for fun rides. It's a great backroad bomber that's easy to ride and you won't outgrow it like you may the z650. But forget about ever taking a passenger on it... even a small person. It doesn't have grab handles, only a chintzy vinyl strap secured by two screws.
I have no problem riding all day on it but others have complained about seat comfort.

If you're wanting to do some LD rides then go with the Versys 650 or 1000. I owned a Versys 650 and it is very capable and reliable let down only by a budget suspension (like the z900 I suppose). Other than that the V will last forever and you can buy pristine used ones for cheap.

Offline Cyborg1975

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
THanks so much again for all the input, even though I really love the look of the Z900 and I am sure if it is for the time I will ride alone I would prefer the Z ... I have to think about when I will do longer trip and when I will bring my son (12 years old) or my wife (not so small) on those longer trip ...

It makes me reconsider .... I will really have to take a closer look to the Versys also just to make sure and what I like of that Versys is that you can put a tail trunk and make it a back rest for the passenger .. im sure my wife or son would feel more comfortable and more safe that way

Thanks again a lot for that feed back

Offline Cyborg1975

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Other consideration too that I dont know yet .. but almost sure the insurance would probably be cheaper on a Versys compared to the z900 ... I will have to ask them when I call the difference between the z900 and the Versys just to see if it is that much cheaper.

Also, other consideration I will have to look at is Versys 650 or 1000 ... pros and cons and the price as if it is not really that much better a 1000 compared to the 650

If the 650 is more than capable even though I'm just 5.9 but at 245 pounds and with a passenger to do the job and stay fun and not too boring I would probably save in price compared to the 1000

I'm 30 inseam so the versys would have that part a bit less fun but I guess worst case I could lower it a bit and also fun that it can go mild off road (nice trails and such), I guess with a fender eliminator and some mods it could have some nice appeal too lol