Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First break in, tips and tricks  (Read 863 times)

Offline TheNakedCruiser

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Portland
First break in, tips and tricks
on: May 22, 2021, 03:57:29 PM
Hi Y'all, I'm about to do the first service myself, and this is all very new to me so any input/help is appreciated. I tried reading the manual, and afaik here are the things I should be doing:
-Oil change,
-a bunch of checks (idle speed, throttle control, coolant level, clutch play, brakes play/fluids)
-clean and lube the chain (which still seems clean, but might as well), chain slack.

Anything I missed that needs to be done right away, please let me know. There are stuff there that the dealer needs to check, but it seems so shady to take it to them and get charged hundreds of $$ to "check" it. Last time I took one to the dealer, they didn't even put those "checks" in the form they give you afterwards so I figure they just really changed the oil. So I want to do it all myself if I can, so I can learn all the necessary skills to please my baby.

Oh, and I don't really want to start an oil thread (It's like playing stairway to heaven at a guitar shop), however I want to hear a couple thoughts. It's more of a, what would you do in my situation?
Dealer nearby is selling Honda full synthetic oil (HP4s?) for like $10/quart. They're selling a Kawasaki full synth as well but for like $14. Now I was originally looking at Amazon for the Motul 7100 (1L/4qt = $44) . They are all pretty similar in price, and I'm leaning towards the Motul still, but would appreciate to hear what you would do in  this situation? Guy in a different dealer basically told me Honda oil is best.

I basically know how to do the oil change, and clean and lube the chain. Next up is to read more on how to deal with the chain slack, then comes the rest (idle speed, etc.) and iirc some of these are shown in the manual so I'll give it another read. But any tips would surely be appreciated, I have a torque wrench and a filter tool too! I don't trust myself, and this baby is precious. I even bought another cheaper bike just to ride around to work and be a guinea pig on my maintenance learning journey!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Re: First break in, tips and tricks
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 04:28:58 PM
 What I would do:
 Use a cheaper mineral (or semi synth) 10w40 motorcycle specific oil and change it for the Motul 7100, or another high quality synthetic, at 1000-1200 miles.

But I'm not telling anyone that is what they should do.  :110:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline TheNakedCruiser

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Portland
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 06:03:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
What I would do:
 Use a cheaper mineral (or semi synth) 10w40 motorcycle specific oil and change it for the Motul 7100, or another high quality synthetic, at 1000-1200 miles.

But I'm not telling anyone that is what they should do.  :110:

I thought about that. Getting the Honda GN4 or Kawasaki mineral oil just for the first one just so I can start riding it again. Thoughts are always welcome, in the end I know it's my choice. But having someone else's perspective is always a good thing, specially from someone with more experience's point of view.

Discussions can always be meaningful as long as everyone is respectful. Knowledge is an excellent tool, but just like a screw driver, you don't use it to hammer. Wisdom tells us how to use our knowledge, and wisdom is gained from experience, hence me asking the enlightened ones in this forum.

Might've been too long of a sentence to say thank you, but I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 06:27:58 PM
All the parts guys at the dealers say the Honda oil is the best.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 05:41:35 PM
The owners manual is your best resource on what you should do for your first Service.  Most of it can be done fairly easy (At least it was on my Z400).  I haven't reached the 600 mile mark on my Z900.

Looking at the stuff listed on the 600 mile mark, everything is covered or self explanatory except the following:  The are called out as dealer tasks and dont really give any detail on what it entails.

Fuel System
    Cooling System
    Brake System

And to a lesser degree (If you don't know what to look for)
    Steering Play

Oil can be a touchy topic.   I plan on keeping my OEM oil in until I hit 600 miles per the manual.  There was a post on a forum thread that linked to some YouTube videos that state Kawasaki oil from the factory is lighter in weight to help with the break in of the engine (but still in the 10W 40 category).

https://www.z900forum.com/index.php/topic,4645.0.html

I don't see the harm in draining that oil and going straight to the oil of choice at 600 miles, but to each his own.  You an change the oil every 600 miles if you want - I don't see how that would hurt anything.   The owners manual states once a year after the first 600 miles.  I would say change it routinely based on how hard you ride, and how mush you ride.  I'm lucky to put 600 miles a year, so one a year may be fine for me.   If I put on 10,000 miles a year, I would be changing it at least twice a year and maybe 3 time (I'm not a very aggressive rider).

Also very important is to have fun and learn from the experience.  Take your time and ask questions.  Don't assume.  :821:
Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 06:03:48 PM by broderp

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:01:12 PM
I have a '19 with 5 years of warranty (currently 4400 miles) and hasn't been back to the dealer yet, did the "break in" oil change at 462 miles with an OEM filter and conventional Valvoline 10w-40 MC oil (what I run in all 3 of my bikes) --> 4 quarts. 600 miles is nothing, next oil change was around 2800.
Couldn't see paying them when I have a toolbox full so Just went around and checked the main nuts / bolts (footpegs, shift linkage, wheels, plastics, coolant level etc.) probably didn't get things they would have but had no problems at all.
Simple thing, you got this  :028:

"The ride is the reason"