Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Howdy  (Read 347 times)

Offline NineseveN

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2021 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Pennsylvania
Howdy
on: May 25, 2021, 04:56:52 PM
I did this backwards by posting in another discussion first. So I'm new here, not new to motorcycling. I started back in the 1990's as a teenaged hooligan riding other people's bikes. Owned a few SuperSports and did a bunch of track days in my early twenties and then took a break until my early 30s and rode for another 10 years (2 SV650s and a Street Triple R). I took a break once again but in the past year, my son bought a CBR and asked me this year if I ever missed it. I told him I did, and he suggested that I get a bike to ride with him.

How could I say no?

Went through a few possible bikes: Street Triple RS, Speed Triple RS, Duke 890 R, and the Z900. In the end, the Z900 won out. I didn't like the new changes to the 765 Street Triple (too revvy and no longer felt like a triple to me). Although I love the Speed Triple, it's just a bit too expensive and used bike prices are through the roof right now (if you can find them). The Duke 890 R felt more like a track bike I could ride to and from the track than a road bike I could take to the track on occasion. The Z900 hits that sweet spot for me, and after a full exhaust, better tires, and re-springing the suspension, I don't expect to feel much difference in terms of performance between it and those other bikes. Plus, the dealer network is larger and the parts bin is bigger in terms of upgrades and shiny bits.

So anyway, here I am.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Howdy
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 07:13:25 PM
Welcome  :821:

Always nice to hear what other bikes were in contention. I really liked the 890 R but after putting over 40K fault-less miles on my Z900, I don't think I would have had a positive experience with KTM. I recently came back from a motorcycle trip and just in a small area where motorcycles gather (totd), I saw like 15 other Z900's...people are finally catching on to our 4/5 year old secret.

BTW: New tires are the best bang-for-the-buck. [Full stop]
Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:14:50 PM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline NineseveN

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 10:54:09 PM
I'm thinking of replacing the OEM rubber with Pirelli Angel GTs...I've always had great experiences with them. The question is, how long am I going to tolerate the OEM tires? I've heard they're not super terrible. We'll see. I should be picking my bike up in the next week or so.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 11:11:49 PM
To be fair, the pre-2020 tires were bad and the new ones seem a little better (I don't really know). So depending how hard you ride, it may be just fine as you get better and discover the Z.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline NineseveN

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 11:30:07 PM
Good points. I'm going to ride them at first anyway, not sure there's a market for low mile take-off for the OEM tires so no harm in riding them a bit.