Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Brake Light Switch  (Read 512 times)

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Rear Brake Light Switch
on: May 26, 2021, 03:46:44 AM
I adjusted my rear brake for better feel and of course in the process I screwed up the light switch. (It would work properly 20% of the time, the other 80% it would not turn off.)  Simple fix.

The manual states to adjust the switch by turning the adjustment nut.  Easier said than done.  I couldn't get a wrench on there to easily tell what size it is.  To my surprise, I was able to turn the switch itself by hand to loosen the nut.  Then through trial and error adjust the switch.  However the nut is hard to access (yes I had removed the bolts holding the footpeg bracket) and access to the nut is tough given the short brake lines and wiring restricting my ability to move it. I managed to get it "tight" but notice that the switch can still be turned by hand.  Is this normal?     :012:   I walked over to my Z400 and to my surprise I was able to turn that switch by hand as well.  I have never had to adjust the rear brake switch on it so I am confused if this is normal or if maybe my Z400 also needs some attention.  (it only has about 1200 miles)

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
Re: Rear Brake Light Switch
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 07:09:10 PM
I've never messed with the rear brake light switch on my Z, but when I adjusted it on other bikes I've owned, it was like you described, not exactly tight. However, when I adjusted it where I needed it to be it didn't move.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 01:54:58 PM
*Originally Posted by mininsx [+]
I've never messed with the rear brake light switch on my Z, but when I adjusted it on other bikes I've owned, it was like you described, not exactly tight. However, when I adjusted it where I needed it to be it didn't move.

That's my assumption as well. I'm keeping an eye on it.  So far so good.  Thanks for mentioning that yo have seen this as well.  If anyone else can "twist" and move their switch (without any disassembly) this may confirm that its just the way it is.  The nuts seems like they were plastic anyway, so I don't want to torque them too much.    :084:

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 03:33:27 PM
I had to adjust it after lowering brake pedal. Adjustment worked without problem.