Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hand/ grip issues?  (Read 482 times)

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Hand/ grip issues?
on: June 01, 2021, 05:20:17 PM
Looking for advise on what I'm going wrong or can do better to avoid hand fatigue. 

I learned to ride on my Z400  and use to get numb hands I attributed to the "death hold" I had on the grips.  As I got better I no longer had numbness.  I'm still learning the Z900, so I think I'm back to holding on for dear life, especially in turns and during braking.  However - the pain is not the same as numbness I had in the past,  so I'm not sure.  I jump back on my Z400 and have no issues.  To me, the throttle on the Z900 is more "twitchy" than the Z900 and sometimes 'scares me'  so I think I have a tighter grip than normal, but I'm not getting numb hands, just very tired hinds. a distinct difference.  Maybe its apples and oranges as the Z900 is much smoother than the Z400??

Looking for any input could it be riding posture, ergonomic differences - anything I can try or should I just hope I get use to the Z900 and this goes away (that's when I'm doing by default.lol)  I wish the Z900 had Cruise control, then my right nad could take a break - problem solved.  :084:

What's your experience and thoughts?

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Re: Hand/ grip issues?
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 10:17:15 PM
Calling zed9!
Calling zed9!

It might be time.  :008: :008: :008: :008:

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:58:21 PM
Same here broderp, my left hand works with no complaint, my right belly aches and pitches a fit.

I worked with my hands for decades and I'm right handed. I have center finger arthritis. That finger doesn't want to bend nor grip in comfort.

I use oversized grips. It helps a little.  Anytime I engine brake I hang down my right arm to circulate more blood. The lack of strength in my right hand might cause me to lose grip when I least can afford it. The delicate braking and throttle control while hanging on is at times not so good. Hard braking into a right hander isn't my favorite, those sweeping left handers are still very good.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 03:23:01 PM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
Looking for advise on what I'm going wrong or can do better to avoid hand fatigue. 

I learned to ride on my Z400  and use to get numb hands I attributed to the "death hold" I had on the grips.  As I got better I no longer had numbness.  I'm still learning the Z900, so I think I'm back to holding on for dear life, especially in turns and during braking.  However - the pain is not the same as numbness I had in the past,  so I'm not sure.  I jump back on my Z400 and have no issues.  To me, the throttle on the Z900 is more "twitchy" than the Z900 and sometimes 'scares me'  so I think I have a tighter grip than normal, but I'm not getting numb hands, just very tired hinds. a distinct difference.  Maybe its apples and oranges as the Z900 is much smoother than the Z400??

Looking for any input could it be riding posture, ergonomic differences - anything I can try or should I just hope I get use to the Z900 and this goes away (that's when I'm doing by default.lol)  I wish the Z900 had Cruise control, then my right nad could take a break - problem solved.  :084:

What's your experience and thoughts?

Have you rolled the handlebars and altered the handle bar controls for best ergos?
 My bike came to me with the levers pointing almost skywards.
 There are a few Dave Moss YouTube videos regards ergonomic set up. The best tip I have gleaned from those is setting the brake lever a little low so you naturally roll off the throttle as you reach for the brake. If it set too high then the opposite occurs......not good.

Having said all that I just couldn't get on with the upsweep and pull back of the stock handlebars so changed them.
 Are the Z400 bars much different from the Z900's?

I'm lead to believe there is a method of determining if handlebars suit your natural wrist position.................................. :164:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 01:27:35 AM
*Originally Posted by Its about speed [+]
Same here broderp, my left hand works with no complaint, my right belly aches and pitches a fit.

I worked with my hands for decades and I'm right handed. I have center finger arthritis. That finger doesn't want to bend nor grip in comfort.

I use oversized grips. It helps a little.  Anytime I engine brake I hang down my right arm to circulate more blood. The lack of strength in my right hand might cause me to lose grip when I least can afford it. The delicate braking and throttle control while hanging on is at times not so good. Hard braking into a right hander isn't my favorite, those sweeping left handers are still very good.

Thank you for the support.  I forgot to mention I use "grip puppies" as well. They are a HUGE help for me and the reason I didn't give up and just call it quits once I learned to ride on my Z400.  Before Grip Puppies, I could ride at most 30 minutes before hands went numb.  The Z900 has far less vibration - but Grip puppies were on my short list of things to buy, in fact I had them for a week or so prior to taking delivery of my Z900.   My current issue seems to be different than hand numbness though.

I will definitely try out your engine braking technique to give my righk hand a break.  It's also my right hand that has 99% of the issues.

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 01:32:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Have you rolled the handlebars and altered the handle bar controls for best ergos?
 My bike came to me with the levers pointing almost skywards.
 There are a few Dave Moss YouTube videos regards ergonomic set up. The best tip I have gleaned from those is setting the brake lever a little low so you naturally roll off the throttle as you reach for the brake. If it set too high then the opposite occurs......not good.

Having said all that I just couldn't get on with the upsweep and pull back of the stock handlebars so changed them.
 Are the Z400 bars much different from the Z900's?

I'm lead to believe there is a method of determining if handlebars suit your natural wrist position.................................. :164:

I have not looked at changing my handle bar position.   They seemed pretty flat, but I will take a much closer look.  The Z900 feels significantly different than the Z400, but I assume it was a slightly different rider position.  Again, I will need to take a much closer look.   I did see a few Dave Moss videos on the topic, including one where he looks at the Z900 at a show and goes over the ergonomics for him.  Good stuff.

I have some looking to do this weekend.  :164: