Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CEL, POWER and KRTC warning active  (Read 498 times)

Offline mr_bman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
CEL, POWER and KRTC warning active
on: June 04, 2021, 10:04:15 AM
Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on the presented topic; however, I have a basic understanding of what goes on inside a motorcycle. Please excuse me if I might have used some inconcise language in this post.

Motorcycle: Kawasaki Z900 model year 2021 with performance pack (Akrapovic slip on); bought it new and so far Ive done ~2500km on it.

I would like to report two different incidents that occurred to me over the last weeks related to the title of this post.

Incident one (09th of May; @~2200km):
I was riding rather relaxed that day (mainly because there was another passenger on board) and after approximately one hour the CEL went on (solid, not blinking). Except from that, everything else felt normal during the ride. I stopped, performed some Google research and then decided to take the bike to my local dealer, from whom I was only a few km away when the CEL turned on (I was riding the bike on my own risk of course, but I figured that it was rather some electrical flaw than a real problem).
While the CEL was on, I was not able to open the vehicle menu anymore (by simultaneously pressing the two buttons on the bottom left and right of the display). Instead of getting into the menu, the odometer changed to show the number 33, which, I presume, is a fault code of some sort.
Three days later I picked the bike up at my dealer and got the feedback that nothing was wrong (CEL was not active anymore when they started the bike). Also, they checked the error memory but could not find any entries. In addition, they could not help me with the meaning of 33 being displayed instead of the ODO when trying to open the vehicle menu. After that I was merely able to do a few short rides on the bike and everything appeared to be OK (unfortunately the weather here has been quite shitty recently).

Incident two (22nd of May; @~2400km):
When I started the bike on that day, I realized that not only the check engine light was on, but also the KRTC and POWER warning were displayed in the cockpit (the battery voltage was at all times displayed to be >12.7V). Additionally, the cold idle was quite unstable in the first seconds after starting (however, it was not going up to 3k rpm or something like that, it just fluctuated noticeably around the standard idle speed for +-200rpm). As with the previous incident, I was then not able to access the vehicle menu. When trying to open it, 62 was displayed in the ODO field.
I rode the bike for a short distance, then let it idle a few minutes and then shut it off for a few minutes (while looking for advice on the internet, I came across similar issues where it was reported that those errors can be self-healed in such a fashion). To my surprise, the CEL was off and the other error warnings were gone after starting the bike again. However, the error came back after stopping for a short break later that day (again CEL, KRTC and POWER warning active). This time 16 was displayed in the ODO field when trying to open the menu. Again, I stopped, let the bike run in idle a few minutes and then shut it off a for bit and all the errors were gone.

Since then, I did ride the bike only once - that time without having any problems.

I found out that issues with the throttle valve have in the past caused similar problems for others and think that this sounds like a reasonable explanation. However, I would of course be very grateful for any further information on that topic.

Questions:
    Has anyone of you had similar problems with their bike? If yes, what was the root cause, how was it solved?
    Are those numbers that are displayed instead of the ODO fault codes? If yes, where can one look them up? To sum it up again, I so far managed to collect: 33, 62, and 16

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
G

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Re: CEL, POWER and KRTC warning active
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 10:44:00 AM
 These service codes are for 2017-19 model but I would not expect them to have changed.

You seem to have a diverse range of errors.  :087:
 Faulty battery?
 I'm guessing.
Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:53:39 AM by Cazzy_R
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline mr_bman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 03:18:51 PM
Thanks for sharing the look-up tables for the error codes. I would also assume that they are still valid.

With the erros being all over the place, I will definitely try to change the battery and keep this post updated should there be some interesting findings.

Oddly enough, everything has been working fine again since my original post (have done ~500km meanwhile)  :084:

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 05:51:39 PM
*Originally Posted by mr_bman [+]
Thanks for sharing the look-up tables for the error codes. I would also assume that they are still valid.

With the erros being all over the place, I will definitely try to change the battery and keep this post updated should there be some interesting findings.

Oddly enough, everything has been working fine again since my original post (have done ~500km meanwhile)  :084:

As you are still in warranty; probably worth a visit to the Kawasaki dealer?  :027:
 Good luck.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.