Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can the Z900 Alternator Output Handle The Denali D2 2.0 LED Lights  (Read 774 times)

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
Hello all, Having researched this topic here and elsewhere, there are numerous posts regarding what accessories the Z900 can handle given the alternator output and some pretty serious disagreements regarding the topic as well. Unless I am missing something, there is no clear map here on what the maximum additional amps/watts/ the bike can handle without draining the battery. I am hoping that this post can shed some light on it as I want to add these Denali LED lights to the bike and would like to know if it can handle it. I ride my Z on 200 mile loops trips often and the last thing I need is to be stranded on the Blue Ridge Parkway 100 miles from home with a dead battery.

What's interesting is when I first bought the bike it was January and cold so I would take 200 mile day rides with my Gerbing heated jacket on without any issues. I also have ridden all day with heated gloves without issues. This leads me to believe the bike can handle more than we give it credit for or maybe I got lucky. Anyway it sure would be nice to know what the facts are. Here is the information on the Denali's. The pair are 10W LED's and 1.6 total amp draw. I have a snapshot from the manual regarding accessories and the link to Revzilla is below if you want to check them out. If anyone has these or something similar it would be great to hear about your experiences. I ride 100% in daylight and are buying these solely to be seen better in traffic. Thanks to all who respond.

Denali D2 2.0 TriOptic LED Light Kit With DataDim Technology
The Denali 2.0 LED series is designed to deliver maximum light output from an extremely small package. These motorcycle-specific LEDs are powerful enough to function as primary driving lights but are small enough to mount anywhere on your bike as auxiliary back ups. 

Features:
10 watt Cree XPL HI LED
Beam distance (spot): 525ft
Beam width (spot): 75ft
Raw lumens: 2190 per pair
Optional clear polycarbonate impact-resistant flood lenses (clear spot lenses pre-installed)
Integrated cooling fins
Durable black powder coated finish
Low profile hinge mount
Stainless steel mounting hardware kit
Waterproof illuminated switch with 7/8" and 1" handlebar mounts
Pod size: 2.2" diameter x 2.4" L
1.6 amp draw total
Sold as a pair

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-d2-20-trioptic-led-light-kit-with-datadim-technology?sku_id=1243209

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
The warning from the manual youve posted is just about the accessory wires behind the headlight. I confirmed as much by speaking directly to Kawasaki UK. As for the total load the bike can take, the manual is very vague regarding how much current is required to run everything that is needed. Id have to double check, but I seem to remember it states something like 23.5 amps and 14 volts at 4000 rpm. To my working, that gives a total power output of 329 watts. Then looking at the available information on the draw of all the standard equipment, which again is very vague, I added up what is stated and took a best guess at the rest based on what other bikes draw for the same parts. That gave me a total of just over 200 watts, so about 120 watts left over. Not wanting to run the bike to the absolute maximum constantly, I thought it would be a good idea to leave a little in reserve.

So with all that said, Ive always worked on an assumption of a maximum additional load not exceeding 90-100 watts. My heated grips draw 60 watts, heated insoles take 15 watts and heated waistcoat draws 18 watts. Thats a total of 93 watts additional load, which Ive run 5 days a week for at least 4 months every winter and Ive never had any issues with the battery going flat. Probably worth noting is that I changed the indicators, running light and plate light for led which will have saved a small amount, but if youre not running lots of other stuff, I cant see how the Denalis would ever be an issue.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Thanks so much Rob! You always provide great advice and help here to me and others. I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that. I went ahead and purchased the Denali's, they will be here Friday and hope to have them installed soon. I have all the plastic off the bike so am ready to go. I have my Kawi 12V adaptor, GPS, and I believe my STS turn signals unit tied into the accessory circuit under the windscreen/headlight area and everything works great.

Given what the accessory circuit says about 2amps or less, think adding the lights might a bit much for that circuit? I only run a Voltmeter/Temp accessory in that 12v socket so that does not draw anything, and the GPS runs all the time. Is there another circuit that is on/off with the key I can tap into? Thanks
Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:33:30 PM by SCrider

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
New from Healtech Electronics.

ThunderBox makes fitting aftermarket accessories a doddle, just connect the 2 ring terminals to your battery, ThunderBox automatically detects when your engine is running/charging and switches power on to your accessories then switches off when the engine is stopped.

Connecting accessories to ThunderBox is even easier with piano key style locking connectors, just lift the orange tab, insert the wire from your accessory & press it back down, that's it!

Optional extra USB port available.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/

:027:

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
New from Healtech Electronics.

ThunderBox makes fitting aftermarket accessories a doddle, just connect the 2 ring terminals to your battery, ThunderBox automatically detects when your engine is running/charging and switches power on to your accessories then switches off when the engine is stopped.

Connecting accessories to ThunderBox is even easier with piano key style locking connectors, just lift the orange tab, insert the wire from your accessory & press it back down, that's it!

Optional extra USB port available.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/

:027:

Sweet! Found in the US for $89. Thanks for putting that out there. Still would like to know about my first question to Rob as I have the lights coming and some riding planned so would like to get this all installed and wired up sooner than later.
Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:42:08 PM by SCrider

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]
Sweet! Found in the US for $89. Thanks for putting that out there. Still would like to know about my first question to Rob as I have the lights coming and some riding planned so would like to get this all installed and wired up sooner than later.

:028:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: spokane
Hey Guys,

The Z won't have any issues running these fog lights. I have the set below wired up to a separate aux switch and have never had an issue.&  They are unbelievably bright! It's literally a night & day difference vs. using the headlights alone (even w the top-rated 12K Lumen Hikari LED's).

I don't run the Fog lights 24/7, but have had them on for several hours @ a time over the course of several night rides, along w the hikari headlight bulbs on high & my wireless phone charger running at 2 amps & have never even noticed a hint of dimming, even @ idle or w the motor off & the ignition & accys on for a bit while stopped. I've also never had any issues whatsoever w startup, using either the stock battery or my limited use w new lithium battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791BFL5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to the service manual, the Z ALternator puts out about 330W @ 4K Rpm & the battery is rated at 8Ah which means u could run the Fog lights and prob even power a goldwing stereo while riding without any issues, then park & leave everything on for an hour before you'd be likely to drain your battery or run into any current draw issues.

A few side notes. The pods I'm using (linked above) say they are 60W+ each but 1 review shows them being tested as only drawing about 35-40W for the pr. which is surprising given their output but in either case, they've worked great for me for 2+ yrs. I orig tried a set of lower draw (10-15W) 3" pods, but they weren't very good. The ones in the link are easily 3-4X as bright & cast white light 10X wider & 50% further than low-beam does. They're awesome at night especially on dark backroads, neighborhood streets or even on highway w minimal traffic etc. Plus, they don't look bad @ all w the right mounts & fork location.

2. I took good care of my orig. battery w trickle charger during off-season & always let my bike idle down for a few mins w accys off after every ride. Hope that helps ✌

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
If youre already running stuff on the accessory wires, then probably safer to run them from another switched live source. Could tap into the running light wire as that only comes on with the ignition.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
If youre already running stuff on the accessory wires, then probably safer to run them from another switched live source. Could tap into the running light wire as that only comes on with the ignition.

I found that the tail light/horn circuit is switched and has a 7.5a fuse. I am going to try to tap into that. Good spot? There really are not too many options that I see that are switched. The small headlight is one but the wires are tough to get to. The lights are arriving today so hope to get them installed over the weekend and will give an update. If you have any other input I am all ears. Thanks again for your help.

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
The fine folks at Denali said its best to route the wires under the tank. Have the service manual and scrolling through the 700 pages on my laptop ain't so easy trying to find where it tells you how to do that. PIA? Searching on the forum not much comes up. Anyone have experience doing it?