Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Compete exhaust system installation  (Read 448 times)

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: New York
Compete exhaust system installation
on: June 10, 2021, 01:00:59 AM
Hey all. I have just purchased a complete exhaust system. Delkevic. Not that the brand matters but my question is this. I think I am capable of uninstalling the factory one and installing the new one, headers and all. My concern is how difficult it is to remove the stock and install the new? It seems pretty straight forward. Does it take more than a couple hours? as I want to do it form start to finish at same time. Like after work in the evening so I don't have to come back to it next day. Not concerned with the 02 sensor or anything as I have read enough on here to know about that. Just curious of difficulty level and time. Thank you all for any input.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Compete exhaust system installation
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 02:10:12 AM
*Originally Posted by iakona [+]
Hey all. I have just purchased a complete exhaust system. Delkevic. Not that the brand matters but my question is this. I think I am capable of uninstalling the factory one and installing the new one, headers and all. My concern is how difficult it is to remove the stock and install the new? It seems pretty straight forward. Does it take more than a couple hours? as I want to do it form start to finish at same time. Like after work in the evening so I don't have to come back to it next day. Not concerned with the 02 sensor or anything as I have read enough on here to know about that. Just curious of difficulty level and time. Thank you all for any input.
Explaining how difficult or easy something like this depends on you and your mechanic skills. Obviously, but that's the answer and I have no idea of your mech skills.

I took off my OEM header in less than 7 minutes. It's eight 12mm nuts and one large bolt in back above bread-box. The slip-on is couple bolts (I didn't have a slip-on). Putting the Delkevic header on is more similar to how the OEM goes back than say, the Akrapovic I have. The Delkevic secures the primary pipes the same way as OEM, the Akra uses individual cups with spring retainers on each primary (to head). Once all 4 primaries are finger tight, gather them to the collector to slip in. Some may have better luck joining the primaries to collector first...at end of day, do what works for you.

TIPS:
Remove the one 10mm bolt in bottom/middle of radiator to gain a little more room.
Remove bottom plastic panels.
When removing O2 sensor, be VERY careful with the tip. You can easily damage them (unless reflashing ecu).
When putting O2 sensor back in new header, pre-wind up the wire so you don't kink it when installed (unless reflashing ecu).
Wipe down the new header with acetone (or 91% alcohol) just before starting (after all installed).
Install all bolts finger tight till all together. Then tighten as a unit.

ps. You got this!! :028: :123:

SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 02:16:01 AM
Frontline you are the man. You have been very helpful over the past year of my Z ownership. I have been a union fire sprinkler fitter for 20 years now. So I am pretty confident in my mechanical skills. However whenever dealing with anything automotive I for some reason draw brain farts. Maybe just hesitation of screwing something up. I am going to tackle this tomorrow after work and like you said, I got this.  :152:
Again I can't thank you enough. You should maybe get some kickback for all your help. Not sure where in Florida you are but I have family down the east coast from Melbourne to Ft Lauderdale. Next time I'm down there I'll buy you some beers.  :821:
Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 02:19:39 AM by iakona

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 02:42:02 AM
Naaa,,,just glad to help (where help is appreciated) :821:

I've always been a mega hardcore gear head and love to "talk shop." I've spent most of my life (work wise) doing nothing but solving problems. This is relaxing. I don't/can't veg out watching TV or just sitting on couch doing nothing :139: :151:

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 03:06:35 AM
Well your help absolutely appreciated on my end. Also can agree strongly with the rest. Sitting around doing nothing never did it for me.  :305:

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 07:49:51 AM
 Exhaust gaskets?
 Supposedly these should be replaced (you may even get a set with the Delk header).
 Frontline, you make no mention of them. Did you leave the original gaskets in place?
 I "got away" with using the originals and others have reported similar. Just wondering.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 01:07:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Exhaust gaskets?
 Supposedly these should be replaced (you may even get a set with the Delk header).
 Frontline, you make no mention of them. Did you leave the original gaskets in place?
 I "got away" with using the originals and others have reported similar. Just wondering.
I didn't bring it up because Delk includes them in their kit.

Yes, I replaced mine..
Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:08:37 PM by Frontline

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: CO
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 03:48:00 PM
I took my time doing the swap for my exhaust.  Installed an Austin Racing setup that I bought, came w headers already decatted, so the install was essentially a full system install.

I had mine done in an afternoon where I was taking breaks, having a beer or two, and sort of working at the same time.

It's a really straightforward process, and honestly the hardest part for me was removing some of the fairings to get to the AIS hose coming out of the airbox so I could cap it off. 

If you're capable of "righty tighty, lefty loosey" then you'll be golden.  Just watch a few vids and take your time doing it.  If you wanna be conservative with your estimate, plan on a couple hours.  In all likelihood it won't take you more than 2hr maybe 3 if you're really taking your time