Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Binding Clutch Cable  (Read 654 times)

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
Binding Clutch Cable
on: June 15, 2021, 11:44:14 PM
I took the bike for a 200 mile ride, a hard day of riding in the mountains. I started noticing the bike really revving like the clutch was not engaged at times. I pulled over and out of nowhere the clutch was very tight and would not retract all the way. By the time I was close to home I had to push the lever out to make sure it was engaged. As I mentioned it came out of nowhere as I never have had any issues with this clutch. Shifts like butter. I noticed the plastic clip that I guess goes around the radiator hose was off. I am hoping it is something simple, as in something is out of whack adjustment wise but figured I would throw this out there to see if anyone has some feedback. Thanks

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Binding Clutch Cable
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 12:37:35 AM
At this point, I would pull the clutch pack apart and fully inspect the steel and soft parts. You would also be able to inspect the linkage/rod. There are no negatives with taking it apart so no harm done if all looks good.

I've taken mine apart several times for a "why not" inspection and even though not slipping, I found a metal that showed some stress. The rest looked good but swapped several soft & hard parts to freshen it up. You will need a good caliper to measure the thickness of each...

What mine looked like at 36K:
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 06:55:20 AM
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]
I noticed the plastic clip that I guess goes around the radiator hose was off.

Happened to me few times, but had no effect on clutch cable operation and cable slack.
I used zip tie to secure that clip to radiator hose (loosley, so hose is not pinched) so it does not happen again.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 02:35:27 PM
First consult your owner's manual.  The proper clutch adjustment procedure is in there.

The revving you hear is clutch slippage.  9 out of 10 times that's operator error.  The handlebar lever can be adjusted on the fly.

If you discover the lower cable adjustment to be too tight, fix it.

After you achieve the OEM specs on free-play and air space clearances, retest the machine.

Think twice before suspecting/taking the clutch internals apart.

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 05:22:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Its about speed [+]
First consult your owner's manual.  The proper clutch adjustment procedure is in there.

The revving you hear is clutch slippage.  9 out of 10 times that's operator error.  The handlebar lever can be adjusted on the fly.

If you discover the lower cable adjustment to be too tight, fix it.

After you achieve the OEM specs on free-play and air space clearances, retest the machine.

Think twice before suspecting/taking the clutch internals apart.

Been riding for over 50 years, so not operator error, call me the 1 out of 10 who knows the difference :002: Thanks for responding to help me out. Was interesting that somehow the actual lever was binding not the cable. Again this happened all of a sudden at the end of an all dayer, riding her hard in the mountain twisties. The last half hour I had to force the lever out to make it engage first gear. Thought something was seriously wrong here. I took the cable out of the lever slot thinking that would be the problem and nope. The lever somehow got extremely tight. I loosened the bottom nut to where it moved freely, tightened it back up, adjusted the cable an she was perfect. So strange and am not sure how that could even happen. Took it out for a good half hour sprint and its great. I hope so as I will be back out tomorrow for another day of mountain fun. Just love the Z especially when the clutch pull is like butter.

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 06:31:02 PM
Lube it?

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 09:50:27 PM
After rereading you second post a few times, your handlebar lever is causing trouble. Something is too tight, bent, or clogged with debris.  :062:

Sounds like an easy fix.

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 11:02:59 PM
Lever rotates around bushing which is pichend in perch. Take lever off, clean lever and bushing, relube it and put back on perch.

Take care of clutch switch plastic pin, it is brittle and likes to snap, you can push it in, secure it with duct tape so it is not in the way when working around it.