Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New (used) Owner, a few mod questions  (Read 475 times)

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 z900
New (used) Owner, a few mod questions
on: June 22, 2021, 02:18:42 PM
Hi gang - just picked up a lightly used 2020 Z900 from a consignment dealer last week after trading in my Z650. I have a couple questions about mods, both existing and new

Exhaust: P/O did a breadbox delete using an eBay midpipe. The bike seems to run fine - I'm not sure if it's due to an ECU flash, the fact that I'm at 5280', or maybe the 2020's are just FINE when it comes to exhaust changes (O2 sensor is plugged in). AIS is presumably blocked as popping is minimal. Dealer has reached out to P/O to ask if the ECU has been flashed, but no response in a week. I'm still at least inclined to cover my butt, but I'd love to hear from anyone who might have valuable input.... Here are what I see are my options
1. Send ECU out for a flash
2. Revert to a stock pipe (there are some cheaper ones on eBay - I'm honestly not married to the sound)
3. Stop worrying because it's all probably fine.

Part two - protection. I've got money now for case covers or frame sliders, but not both. Are either of these maybe slightly more valuable in the short term?

Offline hazy

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: CO
Re: New (used) Owner, a few mod questions
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 03:59:37 PM
I also have a 2020.  Picked up a stock exhaust decatted w an Austin Racing setup, so more or less the same thing you have, just not quite as much pipe out the back end

I also live in your area

I've found it runs fine with no tune at all.  Will I eventually get one?  Yeah probably, but I'm definitely not in a rush to do it. 

Going from in town, then up into the mountains to 8-9k altitude, and then back down for a weekend morning ride, I don't notice any issues with fueling.  No pinging, or sluggishness that might indicate a concern

I did some reading on here before deciding to not get a tune yet, and it seems that the general consensus is that pre-2020 bikes are quite rich from the factory, so leaning out a little w an exhaust is good.  Doesn't seem like there was quite as much discussion on the 20+ models, but the few conversations I've come across indicate you're fine, but maybe look to get a tune eventually.

As for protection, I have the OES frame sliders, but at the end of the day it's a bike.  And in the instance of any serious incident, it'll probably be totalled anyhow, so I don't put too much stock in that.  If it tips over in the garage or something, my cases will probably still get scuffed up, but I just do my best to not allow that to happen and not worry about the rest.  Def is a personal choice though...some folks have full cages, others don't have anything at all.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 04:25:24 PM
For protection, Id probably go for case covers before frame sliders, just so if you do have an off, you dont wear a hole in the case and piss oil over the road. At least then youve still got half a chance of being able to ride home. Id look at getting more protection at some point though. As for the tune, not absolutely essential, but better if you do. Couple of things you could check to see if its been tuned already. First would be when the fan kicks in. Agmfter a tune, it normally kicks in earlier than a stock bike. Another thing is the fuel cut on decel. Go for a ride around town and see what the throttle response is like when your on and off the throttle. If its jerky, chances are its standard. If its smooth, its probably been tuned.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 z900
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 04:37:08 PM
Thank you guys for the input!

I ordered a set of GB case covers which shipped out today. As for the tune: Throttle is not jerky on the off- very smooth, and I've never seen my temp gauge exceed 213.