Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: While I'm in here.... (Clutch side question)  (Read 575 times)

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 z900
While I'm in here.... (Clutch side question)
on: July 01, 2021, 06:11:31 PM
I'm going to have my clutch cover off next week to do some thread repair on one of the bolt holes (stripped out while installing secondary covers at the hand tightening stage, somehow. Yes I own/use torque multiple torque wrenches). Question is this:
Is there anything else I should do/check/improve/etc. while I'm in there and already paying for the gasket? I've seen mention of clutch spring upgrades on the forum, but that's really it.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: While I'm in here.... (Clutch side question)
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 12:12:28 AM
*Originally Posted by MagnusMoto [+]
I'm going to have my clutch cover off next week to do some thread repair on one of the bolt holes (stripped out while installing secondary covers at the hand tightening stage, somehow. Yes I own/use torque multiple torque wrenches). Question is this:
Is there anything else I should do/check/improve/etc. while I'm in there and already paying for the gasket? I've seen mention of clutch spring upgrades on the forum, but that's really it.
Not much to look at in there unless you take the clutch plates apart. If you don't have a lot of miles, don't bother.

BTW: I've taken my cover off at least 6 times and I've never changed the gasket...no leaks or issues. They are actually glued to the cover to allow removing without interference, I vote that you reuse it  :164:
Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 12:13:31 AM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 12:41:23 AM
Thanks for the input!
Yeah, the bike is only at 1400 miles so I'm not going to worry about the clutch plates. Wish I had known about the gasket before I ordered in a new one (I think RevZilla will take a return...), but, who knows, something stupid could happen and I might need it. At least this explains why no dealerships had them in stock!

One of the other bikes in our stable is a Gen 1 KLR, so I'm used to stacking tasks if I've got cases open.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 03:30:29 AM
Just hold onto the gasket, but certainly keep original alone.

FYI: If you remove the cover, leave the bike on the side stand so no oil comes out while working on it. Just use rags to prevent shavings from entering exposed engine. If you were planning to change oil, don't change it till after job complete.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 04:00:03 PM
At 1400 miles your clutch plates are still good so this would be the time to install Brock's clutch springs.
Two benefits...  No clutch slipping and you'll get a better feel at the lever. The clutch pull will still be ridiculously light. $30 bucks.

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 04:20:35 PM
I see them at $40 on the Brock's site. Is there another vendor who has them at that $30 price point?

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 04:30:51 PM
I see them at $40 on the Brock's site. Is there another vendor who has them at that $30 price point?
Come to think of it, I think I did pay more than $30. I did not buy them from Brock but another vendor who sells Brock stuff. And I don't remember. Anyways, my clutch did slip ONCE and I didn't need to be told second time so I didn't search for the lowest price. He's the only one with the springs listed for the z900. Maybe you can find similar as I believe some overseas members have but I don't think it's worth the effort for a low buck item.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 06:17:56 PM

Other options would be:
 Barnett
 Kawasaki (Z1000)
 Part numbers in the pic.
 I have the Barnett springs installed and I'm very happy with them.  :028:
 No idea how they compare to Brocks in performance or price.

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.