Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Switching to synthetic  (Read 676 times)

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: New York
Switching to synthetic
on: July 02, 2021, 01:41:35 AM
Hey all, not looking to start a oil thread or benefits of using synthetic. Question is this. I have read and heard that switching between regular and synthetic is not good. Once you use synthetic not to use regular again. Is this information true? I have 2020 with 8k miles and have used the red and black kawasaki regular oil for every oil change. For some reason I am thinking of switching to a full synthetic. No particular reason, just been reading and discussing with friends of benefits like smoother shifting and longer lasting. I change my oil between 2000 and 2500 anyway so length of time not a concern. Just curious of the thoughts on here if worth trying or if the switch back and forth is an issue.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Switching to synthetic
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 03:24:03 AM
That was an old theory when synthetic first came out. You will not have any issues switching back and forth all you want. If you think about it, semi-synthetics are make with dyno oil and lab oil  :018:

Today, the primary difference between them is with synthetics, they use higher quality additives making it more stable and a wider temp range.
Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:24:53 AM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline iakona

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: New York
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:13:52 PM
Thanks man. I figured it did not make a difference with todays products but figure I'd ask some more knowledgable  gear heads. Something in me wants to try the motul. Not sure what but next oil change I'll check it out and see if shifting becomes smoother. No real un smooth shifting now but not buttery either.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:49:40 PM
On my 2005 SV650, I switched from dino oil to synthetic and back again (Shell Rotella), no problems whatsoever. The Suzuki was smooth shifting no matter the oil used.

On my 2018 Z900, I've used Motul 7100 and Mobil 1 Racing 4T... haven't noticed any difference in shifting between the two. Gonna try Maxima ProPlus+ (blend) or Bel-Ray EXS (full) next time around.