Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABBA Stand - I feel much better now  (Read 1200 times)

Offline NineseveN

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Pennsylvania
Re: ABBA Stand - I feel much better now
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 01:01:49 AM
*Originally Posted by Teddy_900 [+]
Abba for me too!  And love it.  I cut a little of the plastic molding away with a dremel so I don't need to take the plastic guard off anymore.
Minor mod.  Had this since my last cb650f.
Returned from a ride and time to clean and lube the chain!

I've been thinking about doing that with the dremel, now seeing it reminded me that I need to. I imagine you only needed to remove a small amount.

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 01:08:19 AM
Yes, what I did was remove the plastic.  Lined it up with the abba fitting to see in my mind how much needed off.  Then cutting from the backside.

First I used a large metal cutting disc, to remove most if that inner cone.  Not perfectly, just to remove most of the mass, and careful that I did not go too deep. 

Next I switched to a small sandpaper wheel and it came off like butter and round.  Mine is almost perfectly round.  Only I know it's not.  If you take your time, and check occasionally with the abba fitting you'll do fine.

It actually looks far better now and can see more of my red frame.  Can't even tell its been modified, looks stock.

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 01:12:06 AM
Be happy to show you after I clean my chain.  Literally cleaning the chain now lol.  Looks great 😁

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 01:39:14 AM
So here is how that plastic bit looks cut out.

And of course the chain cleaned and lubed.
I use kerosene and dupont Teflon chain saver.

"So shiny!  So chrome!'
Lol, thanks Abba 😊

Offline NineseveN

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Pennsylvania
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 01:52:26 AM
Thanks, you rock! I use the same combo to clean my chain. I'm gonna get to cutting the plastic bits this week. :)

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Member
  • Government funded = tax payer funded
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Rushden
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 01:52:46 PM
I just got clearance from the better half to get the sky lift. Justification being its way cheaper than a flat platform lift, moveable, and only 2.5x the price of a pair of half decent paddock stands. My old front paddock stand wont fit the skinny front end of the Z, and I cant find the attachments needed to make it work.

Its only 100ish more for the sky lift versus the Superbike lift package 3, and I can get the swingarm off for that annual deep clean too.

Im not sure cutting the swingarm holes out from those covers is worth it when removing them is a quick job, for me. Maybe when I know Im not going to part exchange the bike for sure Ill do it. But theres always the lure of the H2 in a couple of years.
The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

Offline jamestpc

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Fonthill
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 06:38:19 PM
I just ordered the lift that has the upgrade for front tire lift.   Couldn't justify the sky lift despite how appealing it was to not have to bend to clean the chain.  Clearly i'm jealous.
James

2017 z900
2006 stratoliner midnight