Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shorter or taller windscreen?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Belgium
Shorter or taller windscreen?
on: July 27, 2021, 10:47:14 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking for 'the ideal' windscreen. This is the problem:

1) The Kawasaki tall windscreen (from the performance package) gives a lot of turbulence, right onto my helmet at highway speeds (120-130 kph). Only when sitting super upright and with my head very straight, can I reduce the turbulence. As soon as I look a little down (e.g. to see the instruments) I get a lot of turbulence.

2) I tried the Puig 'Naked New Generation' windscreen (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-naked-new-generation-windscreen-kawasaki-z900-2017?sku_id=1240731). Same effect as the Kawasaki tall windscreen.

3) The standard Kawasaki small windscreen is doing okay. Much less turbulence. But I don't like the style.

I see two options:

1) Either buy another 'small' windscreen. But I'm unaware of many options. Most aftermarket windscreens are taller than standard. Any suggestions?

2) Or, buy an even taller windsceen. For example, the Puig 'Touring Naked New Generation' windscreen (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-touring-naked-new-generation-windscreen-kawasaki-z900-2017-2018?sku_id=1240726). Any suggestions?

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Re: Shorter or taller windscreen?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 11:22:20 AM
 Have you tried an Aliexpress double bubble screen?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000095624748.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ac36016s8DzFZ&algo_pvid=dfcc4b59-c07f-49bb-86e9-21fc1cb6fd47&algo_exp_id=dfcc4b59-c07f-49bb-86e9-21fc1cb6fd47-3

I have been using one this season and quite like it. Frontline uses one too, I think.
 What I find with it is that it takes the wind away from your body so now requires minimal effort to hang on at higher speeds, With the stock screen it required far more strength to hang on as speeds increased. The down side is more breeze in the visor area but it is not turbulent air so no headshaking or buffeting, so for me worth the trade off.
Lots of variables depending on your height, type of helmet, rider stance and the roads you ride but possibly worth a punt at such a low price?
Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:31:51 AM by Cazzy_R
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 11:33:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Why not give an Aliexpress double bubble screen a go?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000095624748.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ac36016s8DzFZ&algo_pvid=dfcc4b59-c07f-49bb-86e9-21fc1cb6fd47&algo_exp_id=dfcc4b59-c07f-49bb-86e9-21fc1cb6fd47-3

I have been using one this season and quite like it. Frontline uses one too, I think.
 What I find with it is that it takes the wind away from your body so now requires minimal effort to hang on at higher speeds, With the stock screen it required far more strength to hang on as speeds increased. The down side is more breeze in the visor area but it is not turbulent air so no headshaking or buffeting, so for me worth the trade off.
Lots of variables depending on your height, type of helmet, rider stance and the roads you ride but possibly worth a punt at such a low price?

Thanks Cazzy for your suggestion!
I've never had much problems with wind onto my body/torso. I'm 187 cm tall (6.1-6.2 feet), so I have the feeling that the wind rather gets directed right underneath my helmet or into the visor.  I'm wondering whether the double bubble screen gives the same problem. Do you think that it is similar in size/height as the standard Kawasaki screen, or rather as the tall Kawasaki screen?

BTW, the 'Puig Naked' screen I used before, was also an AliExpress knock-off.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 11:41:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Flyingraptor [+]
Thanks Cazzy for your suggestion!
I've never had much problems with wind onto my body/torso. I'm 187 cm tall (6.1-6.2 feet), so I have the feeling that the wind rather gets directed right underneath my helmet or into the visor.  I'm wondering whether the double bubble screen gives the same problem. Do you think that it is similar in size/height as the standard Kawasaki screen, or rather as the tall Kawasaki screen?

BTW, the 'Puig Naked' screen I used before, was also an AliExpress knock-off.

I'm the same height as you. The double bubble is certainly taller than the Kawi low screen. I have not tried the Kawi (performance) high screen but the DB looks taller and wider to my eye. Have a look in Frontline's gallery. No shots of it in mine.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:46:20 AM
As Cazzy_R said, I'm running the "double bubble" screen and love it to death. To be fair, its best fully tucked on speed runs but like it a lot. I still have the Kawasaki large screen but like the looks of this better and been running one for 3 years.

I will say, sometimes in pictures it looks taller than it actually is but IRL, its good. I haven't done it yet (but will), you can trim down the trailing edge of the screen to give it less lip. It also give you a place to stash a hat when you get off bike. This one is only 1/2" or so longer (front to back) than the Kawasaki "tall screen" but it has a steeper ramp.

Album I did when first bought it:
https://photos.z900forum.com/album/Y87c

At end of day, these are naked bikes and I've never had issue with wind (except for high speed runs). Personally, I did this mostly for looks (80%).
Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:48:49 AM by Frontline
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 11:54:42 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I'm the same height as you.......

I should have mentioned that I am shorter in the torso than average, for my height, and I have lower handlebars than stock. :034:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 02:47:36 PM
Ive got a few screens. Didnt like the standard small screen. At 6 6 I found the same issue as you with the tall screen, though Ive currently got it fitted again. Ive also got the Puig touring screen youve mentioned, which I fitted when I was commuting year round. That screen did a good job of pushing the wind up over my head when sat upright and with a slight tuck was almost perfect. Only thing I would say is that it could do with being slightly wider as you still get a little bit of air coming round the sides of it. I wasnt a massive fan of the looks, but it was a function over form choice but given the size, its not the best if you want to ride aggressively as you can feel a bit cramped if youre lying across the tank. The double bubble screen Cazzy and Frontline have mentioned could be a good middle ground or the MRA which is what Ill be getting next. But the true answer to your question is either a very small screen (like stock) so you sit in clean air or a MASSIVE screen to completely block the wind. Its a naked bike, so theres always going to be some wind. My only issue is where that wind hits me as I get a lot of wind roar in my helmet from the tall screen, so Im hoping the bubble of the MRA will be enough to move the air away from the neck roll of my helmet. 
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 03:52:15 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Ive got a few screens. Didnt like the standard small screen. At 6 6 I found the same issue as you with the tall screen, though Ive currently got it fitted again. Ive also got the Puig touring screen youve mentioned, which I fitted when I was commuting year round. That screen did a good job of pushing the wind up over my head when sat upright and with a slight tuck was almost perfect. Only thing I would say is that it could do with being slightly wider as you still get a little bit of air coming round the sides of it. I wasnt a massive fan of the looks, but it was a function over form choice but given the size, its not the best if you want to ride aggressively as you can feel a bit cramped if youre lying across the tank. The double bubble screen Cazzy and Frontline have mentioned could be a good middle ground or the MRA which is what Ill be getting next. But the true answer to your question is either a very small screen (like stock) so you sit in clean air or a MASSIVE screen to completely block the wind. Its a naked bike, so theres always going to be some wind. My only issue is where that wind hits me as I get a lot of wind roar in my helmet from the tall screen, so Im hoping the bubble of the MRA will be enough to move the air away from the neck roll of my helmet.

Hi Rob, that was my idea of the Puig Touring screen indeed: to push the wind over my helmet instead of straight in it from underneath and leading to lots of roar in my helmet. It's not the best looking screen indeed, but I don't think it's ugly as well. It will be either that screen or another 'small' option. What's the reason you dediced to step back from the Puig Touring screen and go for the MRA screen instead? And with regard to your Puig Touring screen, did you have the black, smoked or clear screen? With regard to looks, I would prefer the black screen, but I wonder whether it would be clear enough to look trough it, since it's quite a tall screen.

@ Cazzy and Frontline: many thanks for your input! The double bubble could indeed be the best "middle" solution.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 08:47:02 PM
I bought the touring screen for commuting, but Ive changed jobs and dont use the bike for work anymore. Much as it did a good job, theres Breyer looking options out there (MRA) which should be a good compromise. Ive got the smoke as I didnt want clear nor did I want solid black due to wanting to look through it if I tucked into the bike. With that said, the smoke is a little bit darker than I would have liked. Somewhere between the smoke and the clear would have been ideal, but obviously thats not an option.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!