Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: fenrir barend mirrors  (Read 567 times)

Offline Timevoid

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
fenrir barend mirrors
on: July 27, 2021, 11:58:39 AM
I was highly skeptical to bar-end mirrors until watching several online reviews. 

Z900 stock mirrors only shows my shoulders and arms. in order to see whats behind me i need to lean left or right.

So first i looked at Rizoma but it was 100$  for ONE mirror without accessories !   

First time i ordered from Amazon and Fenrir had everything package nicely in a box with allot of spare accessories to fit different handles.
70$ and 2 days later and i was happy with the result.  Quality is good. Fitting took a bit of testing and tinkering to get the best result.

I can now clearly see whats behind me. Looking slightly down to see the mirrors is something I'm getting used to.
There are some vibrations above 7000rpm that cause the mirrors to get fuzzy but at that acceleration nothing will pass you.

Been touring for 7 days with zero issues and everything fits tightly and doesn't move around at all. I did use locktight on all the bolts to secure them. 
Be aware that most parts are made of aluminum so don't torque hard or you break it instantly. Hand tight it softly and it will not break.

Offline Timevoid

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: fenrir barend mirrors
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 11:59:49 AM
seams i cant post pictures. getting declined doing so in image gallery : (

Offline gmcwhorter

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 01:13:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Been looking at these myself.

Online RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 03:31:59 AM
So, which install did you utilize?

Both of these videos are with Simon's Z900. He never explained about threaded insert handlebar vs. hollow tube handlebar.

This video at 1:50 shows a threaded insert that protrudes outside of the handlebar tube (same as my 2018), and he placed the mirror clamp over it  -

This video at 1:45 shows a hollow tube at end of handlebar, and he inserted expansion piece inside of it  -

Offline Timevoid

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 07:28:28 AM
So i first removed the stock bar-ends. Then i took new bar-ends from box, and attached the mirror-arms onto new bar-ends with ( medium round plastic washer).
Then i used the longer supplied stock size thread and mounted the new bar-ends with attached mirror arms on the end of the handlebar.

I used a small screw and metal washer to attach the mirrors to the mirror arms.

To cover the ugly "gap" between new bar-end and plastic handle i used the thin round washers as a temporary solution.

The ends of the handlebars are super weird. Looks like press-fit tubular steel that got very odd shape to it , sloping conical shape. So i would advice not to bolt on to it because it will fall off with some vibrations. That's why i use the new supplied bar-ends in the box.

Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:31:04 AM by Timevoid

Offline Timevoid

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 07:34:15 AM
Here is a video of how it looks but on another kawa but same weird shape on the end of the handlebars.
Only thing i did differently was putting those thin washers to cover the big gaps.

Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:41:34 AM by Timevoid

Offline Timevoid

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 07:49:03 AM
Just reflection looking at different videos . Newer models 2020,2021 has that weird conical press fit shape in the end of handlebars with threads on them.
Looks like older models doesn't have threaded ends on handlebar. Instead you have to use a expansion screw.

Online PJ69

• Z900 Member
  • Government funded = tax payer funded
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Rushden
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 10:59:24 AM
Ive gone for these Oxford round ones. Only 24 a pair so not a bank breaker if they get a knock or 2.

Swing arm bobbins also by Oxford.

The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

Online RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 01:27:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Timevoid [+]
Just reflection looking at different videos . Newer models 2020,2021 has that weird conical press fit shape in the end of handlebars with threads on them.
Looks like older models doesn't have threaded ends on handlebar. Instead you have to use a expansion screw.

My 2018 has the press fit conical-shape threaded inserts on the end of handlebars. Thanks for the install description.

Ive been looking at these bar end mirror mounts from RhinoMoto.   link to .... RhinoMoto Bare End Mirror Mounts

They have a recessed area that covers the conical-shaped threaded insert (similar to the OEM bar end), and they weigh-in at one pound. The Gen 2 version has two pieces for closed end clamps like the FENRIR mirrors.

Question - What is the width of the FENRIR clamp where it tightens down over the plastic ring?