Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Uk tyre recommendation…..  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Teddy_900

• Z900 Member
Re: Uk tyre recommendation…..
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 10:16:43 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
I highly recommend Continental Road Attack 3. (I took my stock Dunflops off at 1500 miles, with plenty of tread left,  they were such crap).
With the RA3 you can actually feel them gripping the road and, so far with several thousand miles, they show no signs of wear.
They are also highly rated.

I second that.  I have a set of Road Attack 3's waiting to go once I wear out the stock ones.  I figure at 6,000 miles I'll make the change.  And will add some 90 degree black aluminum valve stems too while I'm at it
I've read great reviews on this tire.  I previously owned the ContiRoad, and was great in the rain on my Honda.  The Road Attack 3 is a much more performance oriented tire, ContiRoad more budget friendly.
I hear also that the Metzeler Roadtec are an excellent choice too.  From watching many S 1000 XR review videos.  Everyone seems to love those and good grip in the rain.
Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:22:46 PM by Teddy_900

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 12:58:21 AM
I'm comfortable describing sport bike tires in human terms. 

The engine is our heart and power, the tire's tread contact patch is our own bare feet. We can feel the earth.

In optimum traction the feet don't hurt nor do they lose traction. We're at that point the most coordinated of our life.

As lightweight children, fearless and running free, we cut ourselves. The world is dangerous to our feet.

Protection is required.  We sacrifice grip for endurance.

Shoes, as well as sport bike tires, have diverse options available. Its our choice each time we go ride. I live for the day when I can change tires as easily as my shoes.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 02:33:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Teddy_900 [+]
I second that.  I have a set of Road Attack 3's waiting to go once I wear out the stock ones.  I figure at 6,000 miles I'll make the change.  And will add some 90 degree black aluminum valve stems too while I'm at it
I've read great reviews on this tire.  I previously owned the ContiRoad, and was great in the rain on my Honda.  The Road Attack 3 is a much more performance oriented tire, ContiRoad more budget friendly.
I hear also that the Metzeler Roadtec are an excellent choice too.  From watching many S 1000 XR review videos.  Everyone seems to love those and good grip in the rain.
I recently bought a set of Conti Motions for another bike I refurbished. It's a 2001 Kawi zr7S. It's an air cooled 750 with no more than 70hp at the wheel. I had no intention of riding this bike aggressively so I didn't buy the $300+ RA3 for it. A member of the owners group suggested them so at $178 a set, I thought I'd try them.
The Motions are good tires. They seem to grip well and I have worn them to the edge, so I must have been having fun on them. The thing is this... the Motions are numb. I cannot gauge the grip like I can the RA3. They remind me of the Bridgestone Battlax series tires where they grip but you can't feel it, you have to trust them.
I'd recommend the Conti Motion if you want budget ST tires but they don't compare to the RA3. I'll buy them again for the zr7S but not for the z900, which has more potential to get you in trouble.

Offline Clint

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Barnstaple
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 03:28:18 PM
Thanks everyone for input
I’m going for RA3 , seems a no brainer to be honest
You pay for what you get, RA3, although expensive, are by far the best

Offline Kees_NL

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Breda
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 03:57:50 PM
again:

there is a test between serveral generations of Michelin tyres, PP2CT came out as best for street purpose, only on heavy circumstances the RS was better (on track) test is in dutch:
https://www.motoplus.nl/magazine/uitgaven/artikel/bandentest-3-michelin-generatietest/

google translation:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motoplus.nl%2Fmagazine%2Fuitgaven%2Fartikel%2Fbandentest-3-michelin-generatietest%2F

greetings Kees
Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:07:53 PM by Kees_NL

Offline Clint

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 06:28:00 AM
Thanks Kees_nl

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Member
  • Government funded = tax payer funded
  • Bike: 2021 Z900
  • Town / City: Rushden
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 02:30:21 PM
I’ve just ordered the Metzeler Sportec M9 RR “package” from Demon Tweeks 120/70 front & 180/60 rear.

I put Metzelers Roadtec on my Versys and loved them.

I spent 6 hours and 300 miles on those OEM Dunlop’s yesterday and I can’t stand them. I’ll have the new boots fitted when it gets serviced n 9 September and I’ll let you know as soon as I get home.
The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

Offline Clint

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 02:39:57 PM
Is there a difference with the rear tyre size ?
Is see you’ve ordered 180/60 and not 180/55 …….does that make a difference?

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Member
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 02:53:04 PM
The 60 has a slightly larger circumference, (as do I), is supposed to turn in a bit better (I doubt I’ll notice it), and the leaned over contact patch is supposed to be larger. It’s supposed to put your speedo closer to a true GPS measured speed, as an added bonus.

“They” say it’s harder to get to the edge of the tyre too. Foot pegs are likely to touch down before you run out of tyre.

I just wanted to try a deeper tyre, as I’m really not enjoying the Dunlop’s.

The government cannot give anything to a person it has not first taken from someone else.

Offline PJ69

• Z900 Member
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2021, 01:51:56 PM
My tyres turned up this morning and are being fitted right now. I’ve taken the opportunity to get the exhaust off and have a go at shining it up like a new penny.

May not get out on the new rubber until early next week for a test and quick evaluation. I’ll let you know.