Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone ever opened up the gauges?  (Read 592 times)

Offline jamestpc

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Fonthill
Anyone ever opened up the gauges?
on: July 29, 2021, 03:56:09 PM
Wondering what the board uses to light up the gauges itself.  I know on previous bikes I've had, many used surface mount LEDs, which can be changed out for different colours if you were so inclined.  I know this is a digital display (2017) so am wondering if anyone has a shot of the inside or knows what is used to light these up?

thanks...

James

2017 z900
2006 stratoliner midnight

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Re: Anyone ever opened up the gauges?
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:56:40 PM
No way would i do that and void a warranty, but my guess its a run of the mil TFT display with some sort of edge lighting (LED) or maybe a full array LED (given how bright this is even in direct light).   Likely not something you can replace or easily change.   I'm also betting the colors of the display are called out by the driver/ firmware etc. and not changeable.  It displays what you tell it to and that information is hard coded to the cluster electronics.

Offline jamestpc

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:46:02 PM
Im not as fancy - I have the old uncool one

I will open it up one day

James

2017 z900

Offline broderp

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900 ABS & Z400 ABS
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 08:26:17 PM
*Originally Posted by jamestpc [+]
Im not as fancy - I have the old uncool one

I will open it up one day

LOL,  if you mean the "dial" looking one, that one very well could be SM (surface mount) LEDS  with a mix of traditional light filtering and Liquid Crystal tack and display.   My Z400 has that display and I like it.  Very cool.   :821:    That one you may very well be able to change the color on.   Like you, I too will open up the cluster at some point.   Everything gets opened up around my garage - just because.  :038:

Offline jamestpc

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 06:39:59 PM
*Originally Posted by broderp [+]
LOL,  if you mean the "dial" looking one, that one very well could be SM (surface mount) LEDS  with a mix of traditional light filtering and Liquid Crystal tack and display.   My Z400 has that display and I like it.  Very cool.   :821:    That one you may very well be able to change the color on.   Like you, I too will open up the cluster at some point.   Everything gets opened up around my garage - just because.  :038:

I'm going to do it soon i think.  My curiosity is getting the better of me - i have another bike in the garage incase i want to get out for a boot, but otherwise i'm just too curious to see what's inside.
James

2017 z900