Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Link Pipe Gripes  (Read 367 times)

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 z900
Link Pipe Gripes
on: August 04, 2021, 04:36:33 PM
I've had my 2020 Z for about a month now. I bought it used with a little over 1k miles, and with a few mods done already by the previous owner. One of those mods was a cat delete + eBay midpipe. After a few miles, I've got some gripes with that setup ( as done by the old owner). This isn't to knock anyone who uses a midpipe, because I've seen better quality midpipes in use, better installs, etc.

The pros:
1. It sounds GREAT, especially in low RPMs, which is important to me as I do a lot of city driving.

The cons:
1. The midpipe, and really the whole setup, looks pretty rough.  The welds to bend the pipe are a quick giveaway that it's a cheesy eBay special, and none of the stainless matches (between the original header portion, the midpipe, and the slip on).
2. The mounting bracket on the midpipe seems to be in the wrong spot, and I can't get it (try as I might) into a position where it would be able to bolt on to where the bread box previously was. It's sort of "fine" because you can't see it, except it's totally not fine because...
3. ...having that bit of pipe unsecured causes some big vibration/resonance between 6-8k rpm, which is a shame because that's right when the bike comes to life. I've test ridden 2020 Zs with full exhaust (Akra), and this doesn't seem to happen on a fully-secured, fully designed header pipe. This is "big vibration" coming from someone whose garage includes a 1st gen KLR 650.

As much of a sacrilege as it is to step back, I'm considering picking up second hand OEM headers to run for the time being until I can justify aftermarket headers + a bench tuning setup to the wife. At this point I'd prefer the cleaner look, lack of vibration, and it wouldn't hurt to have that stock pipe on hand in case work brings us out to CA.

This is more of a vent than anything, but I'm definitely open to any suggestions on how to improve things.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Link Pipe Gripes
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 04:47:51 PM
For what youll pay for a set of OEM headers, why not buy a set of the cheaper headers. Im not talking about cheap Chinese headers from the likes of Amazon/Ebay/Aliexpress, but Delkevic and Black Widow make headers for the Z that are half the cost of the big names like Akrapovic etc. Ive got Black Widow headers on mine to go with my Akrapovic slip on and theyre perfect. Theres only 2 reasons to spend the big money on the main brands and thats power increases and because you can say youve got (insert brand name). Then you speak to the tuners and realise that the additional power from the big names vs the smaller companies is like half a single pony, so unless youre chasing the absolute maximum power output or just have to have the name brand, then the smaller brands will be just as good and a lot cheaper.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline MagnusMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 z900
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 05:11:54 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
For what youll pay for a set of OEM headers, why not buy a set of the cheaper headers. Im not talking about cheap Chinese headers from the likes of Amazon/Ebay/Aliexpress, but Delkevic and Black Widow make headers for the Z that are half the cost of the big names like Akrapovic etc.

I considered getting some Delkevic ones (their US distribution is actually local to me), but there is still the tuning question for 2020+ model years, which doesn't seem like it's been resolved. Even with Delkevic pipes and the most cost effective tuning options (2WDW or even just an AFR check at my local dyno to confirm that I'm running fine), I'm still at the $600+ mark. You can occasionally find OEM headers for a fraction of that (I've seen them even for less than $150).

With that said, it's still a good tip on the cheaper headers!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 05:43:39 PM
It's either the original owner cut the OEM pipe in the wrong spot or is using a link pipe meant for a Z900RS.

At this point, looking to buy an OEM (used) header seems crazy. Just buy a better link pipe or chinese full header.

BTW: I'm running a full Akra with only 1 bracket...no vibration.
SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 08:19:38 PM
 Can't you just get a man with a MIG to weld a hanger bracket on in the right place?  :027:
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.